Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
hand made forward controls (Read 14 times)
Miguel
Ex Member

hand made forward controls
04/05/05 at 16:04:49

I saw in photos on main page that are some savage's forward controls that look like are hand made,
I hope that any body can upload some photos about how to do it.
Thanks in advance.
Miguel
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands
Spain

IP Logged
reeko
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Slovak Republic
Re: hand made forward controls
Reply #1 - 04/06/05 at 02:19:32

I'm going to let make forward controls for my Savage.. I'll have draught in electronic picture format soon.. so I can post it here than...

Reeko 8)
  IP Logged
Miguel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/05 at 22:52:16

Will be much apreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Miguel
Fuerteventura

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 05/06/05 at 18:33:29

How did this wind up?  I'm thinking about making some myself.  You can't give a redneck a welder...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #4 - 05/06/05 at 18:50:17

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
How did this wind up?  I'm thinking about making some myself.  You can't give a redneck a welder...

diddo on the welding a redneck thing or something like that. Bobo was a great day today or what? 5/6/05 8)

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 05/06/05 at 22:57:27

Beautiful!  We just got in from riding (12:47am) and I'm having same coffee.  Been reading about the seat lift alot today, I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #6 - 05/07/05 at 06:20:13

You talking about the spacer thing in the front? 8)

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #7 - 05/07/05 at 09:45:48

Yeah, jacking up the front end.  The seat wants to dump me off toward the tank right now.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/07/05 at 09:55:45

Don't forget that the Savage seat is plastic pan supported by rubber mounts on the frame...not by the front mount or the rear bolts.  If you jack up the front mount alone then the seat will be bent in "more of" a U shape when you sit on it.  Sure the front will be higher, but the rest will bend back down on the frame because of the plastic pan.  Check it out.

If that is the way you want it, okay, but you may want to add more rubber in other places too.

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 05/08/05 at 00:20:21

Yeah, jacking up the front end.  The seat wants to dump me off toward the tank right now.

I had to meet a buddy of mine at the bar after work Friday, yes we had to meet at the bar. So we could then leave together to go pick up his HD we went back to the bar and went cruzing. It was awesome on the highway we had a small pack of 6 HD pull up on us and asked us to pull off so we parked in a parking lot the group started walking taward us and walked right past his bike and went stright to mine. They were all clueless we all shared a beer and Chated about the Savage 7 diehard HD riders and one lone savage and I got the compliments. When we left I led the pack back to the bar. It was a great time

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/08/05 at 01:41:42

I can't keep the customers off my bike at work.  Angry Big sign that says: Employee bikes, STAY OFF!  I probably get 20-30 people a day staring at the bike and trying to figure out what it is... Something about the Savage just seems to draw out the big V-twin riders.

Miguel, making the forward controls isn't hard, I've made them for other small Japanese cruisers before. Hardest part is extending the shift linkage, which likely will be even more tricky where you live. Not sure how prevalent hardware/auto parts stores are in the islands. When I lived in Andalusia, I remember they were few and far betwen.

My recontoured seat is worse than the stocker about sliding me forward.  Angry Come payday, I'm doing the Sluggo and Greg modification. Sprung solo seat. Have been wanting to for about 5 years. I wonder if the seat pan on the bike now will make a good Frisbee or skeet target? Eventhough it makes an "iffy" seat, it has to be good for something... unless someone wants the seat as is...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #11 - 05/08/05 at 20:09:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Don't forget that the Savage seat is plastic pan supported by rubber mounts on the frame...not by the front mount or the rear bolts.  If you jack up the front mount alone then the seat will be bent in "more of" a U shape when you sit on it.  Sure the front will be higher, but the rest will bend back down on the frame because of the plastic pan.  Check it out.

If that is the way you want it, okay, but you may want to add more rubber in other places too.

True.  I could feel it flexing today.  time to add more ribbed rubber for my chubby (seat).

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 05/09/05 at 04:55:50

True.  I could feel it flexing today.  time to add more ribbed rubber for my chubby (seat).

Bobo, when you have the seat off you can see the two flat spots on the frame about half way back - if you clean those real well the 1/2" square rubber stick on funiture feet did the job for me - I used a #7 rubber stopper for the lift - looks factory.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #13 - 05/09/05 at 19:13:31

Oh how right you are about the #7 stoppers - looks like it was made that way now.  Thanks for the stick-on furniture pad/spacer tip as well - I couldn't find half-inchers but found 3/4" - work fine.

MUCH MO BETTA!

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/10/05 at 05:40:31

I'm gonna have to try that too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:50:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hand made forward controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.