Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
having trouble starting my suzuki savage 650 (Read 53 times)
a56kuser

having trouble starting my suzuki savage 650
04/04/05 at 22:42:55

Hi all, i got a 97 suzuki savage and it was all good for awhile until one day i left the fuel valve on (im use to sport bikes) and now it wont start..... itll crank and all but just wont start...
it would back fire a few times though.......but i recharged the battery numerous times without luck......... do you think i need to change my plugs??  also how do i know how much oil i have inside my motor?  sigh... i know im such a noob at this but i didnt see any peek oil window and my oil pour plug doesnt have a dip stick so whats the deals?
any help would be appreciated thanks.!@

IP Logged
a56kuser

Re: having trouble starting my suzuki savage 650
Reply #1 - 04/04/05 at 22:48:04

ok i just found the oil window  Grin
the bike was just dirty.
now to start the darn thing.....  Angry

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #2 - 04/05/05 at 04:10:58

You're getting a "pop" now & then so that's good.

I can't tell you how many times I've kicked and kicked my XR for a half hour before checking the fuel level and finding an empty tank.  Happens to all of us.

Since you didn't see the oil level before, you might not know if it "made oil" since the last time - your fuel may have leaked out of the tank into the motor through the carb and/or fuel valve, not uncommon for an older bike with a vacuum petc0ck.  If that's the case, you have gas in the oil and need to change it.  Pull out the oil cover (top of case, right side) and sniffffff.  If it smells like gas, that's what happened.  Should fire up on Reserve, but don't run it long that way without changing oil.

If that's OK, then check some other stuff and give us the gouge on what you find.

How's choke effect it?  Better or worse (more or less pops)?  Have you tried several throttle positions (guessing you have).

Yank the plug and tell us what it looks like, we can go from there.  Congrats on the Savage, it's a fun little bike (when running).  I have a sportbike too.  Welcome to our forum.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/05/05 at 05:41:54

Ya know, maybe it's just me, but in 5 years on these forums, I read that the first thing everyone does, is to check the spark plug when the bike won't start....even considering that the plug is one of the more difficult things to check anyway.  Plus, I don't recall anyone ever really finding that the cause of the problem was the spark plug, either.

Most often the problem with a bike is the fuel.

Check the fuel in the carb, and BTW, you don't have to turn off the fuel on the Savage.  The petc0ck is "automatic".

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/05/05 at 11:20:58

Hey Greg, I actually did have a bad plug in my Savage when I first got it. It was my own fault, kept starting the bike in the middle of winter just to hear it run and never let it warm up. The plug ended up all fouled with carbon and was loosing spark because of it. Looking back on it the gas in the tank was old so there is a chance that it was stale and helped foul the plug.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #5 - 04/05/05 at 17:51:03

My plug checkin is a leftover diagnostic technique from 3-wheelers and dirtbikes that usually run too rich.  Also tells me if the fool thang is flooding (wet plug).

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/06/05 at 00:14:58

Every time my Savage has failed to start, it has been one of three things, bad sparkplug, bad battery, or bad electrical connections (wires under the seat getting wet and shorting out).

Take a look at your plug for a good spark. Pull the plug, hook the lead back on, and with a pair of INSULATED pliers, hold the plug against the cylinder. Have someone pull in the clutch and hit the button.If the spark isn't BLUE, change the plug, or at the least, clean/regap/hit it again.

Check back if that isn't the problem. These bikes are also getting sort of notorious for fuel flow problems, so make sure the vacuum line off the fuel tap is connected, and in good shape. For that matter, change it and the fuelline out before you do anything else, a yearly change is cheap insurance.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
a56kuser

Reply #7 - 04/06/05 at 12:32:19

thanks for the help guys

i will check the plugs today when i get the spark plug wrench...... im starting to think it really is that spark plug...

anyways so about the fuel switch thing...... i can leave it in reserve and itll be fine??  because the bike just didnt start out of the blue it was running all okay and everything but then i noticed the fuel was left on for 2 days and i thought thats what happened.....but never the less ill change the plug tomorrow night and  let ya know what happened
Thanks again..... ithink im also due for a oil change anyways so ill change that out too..... working on this is definitly not like working on a sportsbike =/

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 04/06/05 at 16:21:31

When the fuel valve is working right, you can leave it on with no problem.  

If the little diaphragm on the motor side of the valve (petc0ck) starts leaking, then fuel will go thru the vacuum hose into the carb, filing up the airbox and/or crankcase with gasoline.  This happened with my Sav.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/07/05 at 05:38:03

I kinda figured I'd get a rise outta a few on that one.... 8)

One thing I'm curious about (and yes, I've had wet fouled plugs on 2 strokes)....how come I'm running a plug which I changed 3 years ago for no reason, and I have never had any problems with the spark for any reason?  Just lucky?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › having trouble starting my suzuki savage 650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.