Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle mixture screw setting? (Read 7 times)
lagagnon
Ex Member

Idle mixture screw setting?
03/27/05 at 14:42:18

I finally worked up the courage to do the white spacer carb modification. No problems other than a slightly stripped top carburetor screw. I also drilled out the brass plug on the idle mixture screw. It was set to about 1 turn. I played around a bit and found very little difference from 1 to 3 turns out and then it started to sound a bit weak. I left it at about 2 turns out but to be honest there was very little difference. I then backed off the idle speed slightly.

Wow, what a difference, much better running in first and second gear accelerations and when the engine is cold. However, my question is if others have noted very little difference when adjusting that idle mixture screw??  Any comments appreciated.

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Re: Idle mixture screw setting?
Reply #1 - 03/27/05 at 15:40:35

i actually tried that this weekend....and i did about 2 and a half to 3 turns out....it was at about 1 turn out.

i rode it for a bit and it was find afterwards....then i rode it last night and when i was stopped at the light the idle started getting low then eventually stalled.  so i adjusted the idle speed screw a bit and the next light i noticed the idle was extremely high.  i also noticed i still have a slight backfire when shutting down.  

i also managed to strip the pilot screw so when i have time i'm gonna drill it out...

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Idle mixture screw setting?
Reply #2 - 03/28/05 at 09:10:51

Basically what You should do is so called "idle drop test",
Years ago Honda was recommending this way to adj. the idle screw.
What You do, You start with the basic setting ~1.5 turns out. You screw the pilot screw in until the RPMs start going down. After that You start going back. The RPMs will go up and then they will start to drop. You count the turns that You went out, devide in 2 and set the screw right in the middle.
All the adjustments are done with the engine - operating hot.
Like a rule if You blip the trottle and the RPMs go up and they drop below the normal idle RPMs before they return where they are supposed to be or if the bike dies- this is rich condition, so You just give it a 1/4 turn in and try again

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:43:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle mixture screw setting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.