Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wind chill factor on a bike (Read 7 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

Wind chill factor on a bike
03/22/05 at 11:19:47

Just found this on the web and figured I'd post it. Try not to freeze you balls off  Grin

http://www.webmaster10.com/ldr/windchill.html

http://motorcyclecity.com/chill.htm

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Wind chill factor on a bike
Reply #1 - 03/22/05 at 11:30:39

but it doesn't figgure in all the factors. if the winds are still and you are moving at 50 whats the wind chill because your movement is like being in the wind.

next whats the difference between riding with or against the wind that would change the equation.

to many factors to get a read. best way attach a thermometor (sp) to you chest and read it.  Shocked

just a thought.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #2 - 03/22/05 at 12:03:52

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
to many factors to get a read. best way attach a thermometor (sp) to you chest and read it.  Shocked

just a thought.

A thermometor does not read windchill. Only living things do, such as people, and animals. The thermometor will read the same temperature, whether moving or still, provided it is in the same area, (sun or shade,  and location.)...wind chills are not an exact science, and are estimates only. Below is a quote from my local weather website.

"Wind chill is the cooling effect of the wind in combination with low temperatures. When it is windy, we feel colder because our skin temperature is lower. This sensation of cold is what the wind chill index quantifies: as such, the index is not a real temperature and is expressed without units, even though it is calibrated according to the Celsius /farenheit temperature scale."

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 03/22/05 at 12:18:39

i'll try it see what happens, and report the results.  Grin

and what about the other factors i mentioned, do you think they figgure in the equation  ???

bikes all warmed up. ready for a 1 mile experment.  i will take photo before i start and at  one mile.

brb

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 03/22/05 at 12:25:40

Windchill is for sissies.  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 03/22/05 at 12:53:38

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Windchill is for sissies.  Grin

really those are my thought, if your spending time worrying about it, your just over thinking it.  

i raised the questions about which direction to show that wind chill is really not an excat science. then did the experment to see.   i found a 4 degree drop after riding 60mph for one mile.    

if i was really that concerned about it i wouldn't have ridden all winter.  Shocked

but enough of this idle chatter i'm all dressed up and ready to ride  [glow=red,2,300]c=ya [/glow]

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/22/05 at 13:23:10

What kind of gloves are you eskimos riding? My fingers are always the first to go.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/22/05 at 16:20:29

I was up in Canada hunting back around 1980 when we ran out of something and I went 15 miles to the store on my Enduro -- thru a snowstorm.  Had down vest, wooljacket, etc. and still near froze.  But I had down hunting mittens and my hands stayed warm.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 03/22/05 at 17:54:35

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
What kind of gloves are you eskimos riding? My fingers are always the first to go.

above freezing gauntlet gloves
belowe freezing  leather gloves insterted in gauntlet gloves.

below 0 degrees i drive the cage. Angry

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #9 - 03/23/05 at 05:57:32

Hello, you penguins  Grin

It never freezes here in wonderful Chile, but IMHO, wind chill is not a problem unles it's raining and you are not wearing proper rain gear.
I wear a heavy leather jacket, leather pants (not chaps, real jeans-style leathers), long johns under them, wool socks, heavy Russian-style boots, and leather gloves over knitten wool gloves, and a full-face helmet, sometimes with a balaclava... BTW, all my leather is waterproofed in early fall with horse grease, 3M spray and shoe polish. Works great so far.

It's 23°C out there and the sun is shining and we have a nice breeze, gotta go to the bank... riding  Grin

take care,

RW

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 03/23/05 at 16:29:04

Rub it in Red, got a short ride in yesterday with the temp around 46 F. Right now I'm looking at snow, you know the stuff, cold, wet, can't ride in it :'(. Every time I see fruit from Chile I think of you, wish you well. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 03/23/05 at 20:24:51

Ed, would you like the directions for how to run a Savage (or other street bike) on snow, safely? It isn't that hard to do.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #12 - 03/24/05 at 08:38:43

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Rub it in Red, got a short ride in yesterday with the temp around 46 F. Right now I'm looking at snow, you know the stuff, cold, wet, can't ride in it :'(. Every time I see fruit from Chile I think of you, wish you well. Ed L.

Hi Ed,
sorry to hear it's still snowing in PA, our fall has been unusually warm so far (knock on wood),  Grin today we expect 30°C  Shocked so it's riding weather still... Grin
Hope spring gets there soon, but winter never makes its way down here...  Wink

Take care,
RW

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 03/24/05 at 16:42:56

WD, thanks, but no need for instructions on how to ride in the snow. For once in my marrage I am agreeing with the ol ball and chain and am planning to get out of the northeastern US and move to the east coast of Florida. Will be down below Daytona, just need to find the right property. Been packing the shop over the last few months and am getting ready to tackle the house. Everybody thinks I'm heading down there for bike week, I'm just getting out of the cold and snow. Will be riding my Savage down camping out on the way.really looking forward to the ride, need to get my last job out of my skull. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 03/24/05 at 19:23:32

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....northeastern US ... to the east coast of Florida. .... Will be riding my Savage down camping out on the way....
Color me green.  If you do not have a digital camera I'll lend you one.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:27:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wind chill factor on a bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.