Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
The modern "biker"...
03/24/05 at 03:43:50

I can't get over some of these people.  ???

The modern biker is a joke. 40 grand and 40 miles doesn't make you a biker in my book. If I trailer my bike, something in the powertrain has gone terminal. Matt Hotch's paint jobs cost more than all my vehicles put together. Shocked

How often do you see a "greaser" broke down on the side of the road? How often do you see a "real biker bike" broken down? Who do you see standing there scratching their heads, wringing their hands, or yapping on the cellphone because they are too dumb to swap a sparkplug on the side of the road?  Gods forbid they get a flat, or throw the belt, or even just hit reserve and don't realize they have to manually switch the fuel feed.

Whatever happened to riders knowing how to patch up the machine and get home? Or at least "rig" it enough to get off the roadside before calling for assistance?  When did it become mandated that leathers have to look new, forever? Or that helmets can't get scratched? Since when is a fresh from the dealer scoot better than one you have become intimately familiar with, because you've actually learned how to do necessary maintenance? Yes, having the scratch to pay someone else to get dirty is convenient. Fat lot of good it does if you break down somewhere between Missoula and Sturgis.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I don't trust anyone else to service my bike. I don't know everything, but I can patch it up and get home. I can change a tire and tube on the road if needed. Bike starts coughing, switch to reserve. Then panic. (I run out of gas all the time in the truck too, no gas gauge)

Guess I'm not a "biker" after all. Bet Indian Larry is spinning in his urn, Which if you haven't seen it, is some kind of nice. Panhead cylinder and top end, fully engraved. I'll try to scan it in and send a pic.
-WD
Proud to be a wrench turning, long haired, greasy, dirty...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Re: The modern "biker"...
Reply #1 - 03/24/05 at 06:26:07

I'm with you.  I don't understand the guys who spend so much money on paint & chrome for their machines.  It's harleys now, but it was mustangs and vws a while back.  Whatever the trend is, stick chrome wheels on it and you're cool.  I'd rather bolt on some edelbrock HD heads, swap the cam, open up the breathing, and haul butt.  

Chrome's OK, but if it's not cheap I'm out.  And black DuPont Nason acrylic enamel is $11 a pint (colors are $40).

However, if it wasn't for non-wrenchers, we couldn't pick up our cheap toys when they get tired of having to take them to the shop.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 03/24/05 at 06:44:46

$11 a pint huh? I painted my tins, and had half a can left over, for $7. Kubota tractor bomb can orange. Goes on smooth, holds its color really well. Been about 5 years since last paint, just now redoing it. With Kubota tractor bomb can orange...I wanted Candy Orange metalflake...wish the store would put the price up, they just started carrying the candies, but, I think they are lacquer (gag, choke, don't spill any gas topping it up)...managed my first ever orange peeled panel today, guess I need a fresh can of clearcoat.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/24/05 at 07:48:53

I understand where you're coming from WD. I think that whole scene is symptomatic of our highly affluent society today. There are many people now who can afford to get everything done by others: they hire mechanics, handymen, gardeners, cleaners, babysitters, nannies, personal trainers and personal life coaches. They have more money than they know what to do with but very little time because they are too busy at work earning all the money but they have no leisure time to spend it. That's why they trailer their bikes to Sturgis!

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #4 - 03/24/05 at 08:14:53

Sad.  True.  Where's the fun in that?

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/24/05 at 09:37:09

Think they'd be caught dead in any of my "bikerism" shirts?

1) Bikers have more fun than people do.
2) I don't know or care what bling-bling is. Paint it flat black and ride the wheels off it.
3) I rode my bike to trailer week.
4) My other auto is a .45.
5) I own a bike, not just a t-shirt.

Feel free to add shirt slogans.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/24/05 at 11:06:41

Quote:
2) I don't know or care what bling-bling is. Paint it flat black and ride the wheels off it.

Heh, I really like that.

I'm definitely not a pro at bike mechanics but I'm not particularly challenged when it comes to tools and vehicles either.  So far as wrenching goes, I love getting to know my bike better and the main thing that keeps me from tearing it down further is the desire to ride it instead.  I'm gonna keep my wrenching philosophy similar to my rule on buying tools.  In general, I only buy a tool when I need it and then I buy quality.  Simple exceptions are having a pretty basic toolset in the first place.  Anyway, I'll tackle it when it needs to be done and learn it then.

Oh yeah, I keep my hair quite short but that's an ease of maintenance thing with me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 03/24/05 at 11:11:17

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Heh, I really like that.

I'm definitely not a pro at bike mechanics but I'm not particularly challenged when it comes to tools and vehicles either.  So far as wrenching goes, I love getting to know my bike better and the main thing that keeps me from tearing it down further is the desire to ride it instead.  I'm gonna keep my wrenching philosophy similar to my rule on buying tools.  In general, I only buy a tool when I need it and then I buy quality.  Simple exceptions are having a pretty basic toolset in the first place.  Anyway, I'll tackle it when it needs to be done and learn it then.

Oh yeah, I keep my hair quite short but that's an ease of maintenance thing with me.

for me i was able to chop it and still ride it over the winter. most of my time was spent sitting there just staring at it figguring out what to do next. once i knew it was just a matter scrounging the parts and putting them on.  frankly their hasn't been a day that i haven't went out and either rode it, or stared at it. Wink

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 03/24/05 at 12:58:00

Don't know if I consider myself a "true Biker" or not to be be honest ... my Bike's fairly new, so I haven't modded it ... it cost me a chunk of discretionary income that I'm sure my wife could've used elsewhere, so I really don't feel like modifying it (yet) ... but I am in awe of those who choose to do so with their own Bikes! I'm a 40-something semi-professional desk pusher (with no hair Wink) ... and I've only been Ridin' for a few years ... plus I'm no wrench-head (I've changed my own oil & spark plug and I changed a front wheel on my old Rebel & adjusted the chain; that's it so far) ... I mightn't be a "Biker", but I like motorcycles and those who Ride 'em! Smiley
Oh yeah ... and I do go out to the shed to stare at my Bike from time-to-time!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 03/24/05 at 14:29:24

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Don't know if I consider myself a "true Biker" or not to be be honest ... my Bike's fairly new, so I haven't modded it ... it cost me a chunk of discretionary income that I'm sure my wife could've used elsewhere, so I really don't feel like modifying it (yet) ... but I am in awe of those who choose to do so with their own Bikes! I'm a 40-something semi-professional desk pusher (with no hair Wink) ... and I've only been Ridin' for a few years ... plus I'm no wrench-head (I've changed my own oil & spark plug and I changed a front wheel on my old Rebel & adjusted the chain; that's it so far) ... I mightn't be a "Biker", but I like motorcycles and those who Ride 'em! Smiley
Oh yeah ... and I do go out to the shed to stare at my Bike from time-to-time!

dude your a biker, anybody who rides/stares at machine certainly fits that catogery. also you chose something different. you were not trying to buy an image, you have style. thats the difference.

just so you know my wife wasnt that happy about the chop job on a brand new machine, but now she has seen the outcome and is pleased with the results.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #10 - 03/24/05 at 14:40:53

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Think they'd be caught dead in any of my "bikerism" shirts?

1) Bikers have more fun than people do.
3) I rode my bike to trailer week.
4) My other auto is a .45.
5) I own a bike, not just a t-shirt.

Feel free to add shirt slogans.
-WD

See No Evo,
Hear No Evo,
Ride No Evo.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 03/24/05 at 15:17:04

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
...just so you know my wife wasnt that happy about the chop job on a brand new machine, but now she has seen the outcome and is pleased with the results.

You have changed how I look at motorcycles.  I have the Savage in part because I could not picture myself on a sportbike such as the GSX-R600 which meets my weight restriction.  Walked past a similar bike in the parking lot today and realized that (1) what I don't like about it's looks is that stupid tail poking 'way out the back and up in the air.

And (2) it would look wicked bobbed:

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #12 - 03/24/05 at 15:24:46

I think that kind of styling appeals to the transformers toys generation.  

Don't they look like they could be folded up into a robot?

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 03/24/05 at 15:32:35

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think that kind of styling appeals to the transformers toys generation.  

Don't they look like they could be folded up into a robot?

i've read that the mini cooper is really the brain unit behind a large robot. check out the construction, it's built way to strong for everday use.  

i got the story somewhere, i'll dig it out.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #14 - 03/25/05 at 12:19:50

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
See No Evo,
Hear No Evo,
Ride No Evo.

YESSSS!!!!!!

must put that on a shirt.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:58:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The modern "biker"...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.