Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Biker Build off
Reply #15 - 03/24/05 at 10:58:06

Also...

If it wasn't something else before, its not a chopper.

A new engine in a new frame with a new tank is a custom, no matter what it looks like.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #16 - 03/24/05 at 11:06:58

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Also...

If it wasn't something else before, its not a chopper.

A new engine in a new frame with a new tank is a custom, no matter what it looks like.

that has always been my point, that and the one i hide with my hat.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #17 - 03/24/05 at 11:53:09

at what point does a modded bike become a chopper?

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #18 - 03/24/05 at 14:21:50

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

very good question Smiley
when you start taking things off not adding them.  Roll Eyes

the things you take off have nothing to do with making the machine move or stop, like signals. check your states laws, many states only require you signal, not actually have signals.  passenger seating, sissybar, windshield any ornamental do dads, side rails stuff like that, you don't have to have an extended front end that's an add on making it a custom, not a chopper.  now many builders are making customs and calling them "choppers" which they are not.  it goes right along with the "real" biker discussion. a chopper is something you make yourself, not go out and buy. nobody buys a chopper they can only be built.  buy it, it's a custom job.

hope this helps.   no offense hoghunter.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #19 - 03/24/05 at 14:51:26

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

I think it's like Jazz, when you hear it, you know it.

I used to think the extended forks and ape bars was what made a chopper, based on my opinions formed about 1967.  But styles change, like anything else.

But some folks call any stripped down bike a chopper.  Or any long forked custom.

I guess it's when you know you can call it  a chopper and no one second guesses you.

The Savage and the Intruder are already pretty chopperesque if you ask me.  But I would not call either a chopper.  

I reckon I still couldn't call mine a chopper unless I extended the forks or did a real frame based hardtail (not just replacing the shocks with rods.)

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #20 - 03/24/05 at 15:06:18

But some folks call any stripped down bike a chopper.  

and they are when you look at the orgins of the "chopper" as i explained in the earler post.  you "chop" off excess weight for added performance.

so whats mine. technicaly a chopper. i prefer the term bobbed custom. or years from now  "ratt bike"

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #21 - 03/24/05 at 15:19:59

I wouldn't even call it a "custom." To me that implies someone else made it for you.

There's a term that's starting to be used to distinguish traditionally chopped bikes from custom-shoppe bikes.

"Street Choppers"

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #22 - 03/24/05 at 15:29:44

I wouldn't even call it a "custom." To me that implies someone else made it for you.

There's a term that's starting to be used to distinguish traditionally chopped bikes from custom-shoppe bikes.

"Street Choppers"

thank you for the custom statment.    i do like the term street chopper.  most that see it call it a chopper.

a client of mine said he wanted a savage before he knew i had one, i told him i'll bring mine down for him to check out. he loved it, one of his employees saw it and asked if it came that way, before i could say anything my client says "no way he's spent some serious time customizing it". i threw him the keys, said take it for a spin.  he wouldn't go, said i dont want to hurt it.  i couldn't convince him that short of running it into a building or car he couldn't hurt it, or at least do anything i couldn't fix..  

he did have a sweet 71 triumph bonny with less then 10k miles on it in his back room. he bought it new and just can't bring himself to ride it.. that's why he wants the savage.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #23 - 03/24/05 at 19:17:32

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
"Russell Mitchell is the man"
I agree on this one. I went to the Superbike show in Chicago and got to meet him and see his bikes up close. (got a picture with him to) I love his bikes. Flat bike and very, very clean.

I was there too. Russell was very nice and came off as a down to earth person. I actually got to sit on the bike he built for the first biker build-off against Eddie Trotta. It was too stretched for me but was way cool. I 'm sure it fit him well since he is pretty tall. So far my favorites are Exile and Zero Engineering. Those old knuckle heads are beautiful engines.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/24/05 at 19:49:09

You know I watch these things all the time and sometimes get some inspiration from some of them... but you know after a while all thier theme bikes get kind of a blur. Now what I want to see is some branching out from the "chopper" theme.

I want to see some Scooters... and some Cafe Racers... something on the other edges.  Something custom in those... as well as something taken and Modified to be something else. Both shows of maybe building them from the raw parts and maybe others on modifying something stock to be something else. Things like we do. Taking a Savage and making it a Cafe racer or a Chopper. Or for that matter just restoring something.

NOT another build a Chopper from greatest parts I can have made or purchase and do a tad of metal fab to stick on it show. There are enough of those to satisfy my needs.

What I want is something like what we all do. Which is really a truer form of old skool "choping" than these guys do.

There is a good audience for this other kind of stuff.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #25 - 03/25/05 at 02:04:55

Does talking 14 lbs off my bike make it a chop ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #26 - 03/25/05 at 02:39:09

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Clive W  Cheesy

no just removing a case of beer doesn't count.  Shocked

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #27 - 03/25/05 at 09:18:23

so far i've removed sissy bar and rear blinkers, belt guard,  the airbox, and front fender.
i want to do away with the pillon seat, but i have it bungeed to the rear fender to hide the unsightly mess it is. i plan on getting a blank rear fender soon.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 03/25/05 at 11:00:01

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You know I watch these things all the time and sometimes get some inspiration from some of them... but you know after a while all thier theme bikes get kind of a blur. Now what I want to see is some branching out from the "chopper" theme.

I want to see some Scooters... and some Cafe Racers... something on the other edges.  Something custom in those... as well as something taken and Modified to be something else. Both shows of maybe building them from the raw parts and maybe others on modifying something stock to be something else. Things like we do. Taking a Savage and making it a Cafe racer or a Chopper. Or for that matter just restoring something.

NOT another build a Chopper from greatest parts I can have made or purchase and do a tad of metal fab to stick on it show. There are enough of those to satisfy my needs.

What I want is something like what we all do. Which is really a truer form of old skool "choping" than these guys do.

There is a good audience for this other kind of stuff.

RIGHT ON!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 03/25/05 at 11:00:58

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Clive W  Cheesy

Maybe it's more like a chip...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:05:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Biker Build off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.