Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie with Questions (Read 16 times)
hellstorm
Ex Member

Re: Newbie with Questions
Reply #15 - 03/25/05 at 11:41:27

Greg, The guy I bought it from rode it to a dealer about 20 miles away and they tore off the head cover and right side cover. They seemed to think the permatex clogged the oilpump, starving the topend of oil, which is why the cam and rockers were chewed up.  Although the cylinder isn't scored, so I'm not really sure what happened. When he bought it it had 3719 miles, now it has 4232 on it, do the math. I'll do a little poking around before I crack it open. I just don't think there could have been that much permatex to clogg the oil pump. We'll see hopefully tomorrow i can yank the engine and start nosing around.

Thanks,

Brian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 03/25/05 at 11:58:29

That was the purpose of my question?  Could or did Permatex clog the oil pump...and I know that dealers are quick and willing to offer all kinds of shop labor  Roll Eyes

My question is more like, if there was oil in the top end recesses, was it really oil starved because of a clogged oil pump?  If there was permatex on the side covers, then why did the previous owner open the cover and what did he do?

Is there an inlet strainer on the engine oil pump?  I don't know.

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/25/05 at 14:00:47

Affirmative, there is an inlet oil screen on the oil pump.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #18 - 03/26/05 at 06:30:32

hellstorm wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Ok new question before I crack open the case, how could gas get into the oil? It only has 4k miles. Brian

Could be a couple things, even a new bike can have a defect.  Fuel getting into the cylinder can leak down past the rings when the bike is off.

Leaking fuel petc0ck diaphragm:  Check by yanking the vacuum line from the carb to the petc0ck -- Should be dry with no sign of fuel

Leaking / stuck float, needle valve, o-ring:  This one can come and go -- will drive you nuts cause it happens one day then it's gone, and comes back again.  Look for alot of fuel in the airbox by yanking the plug off the drain tube at the boottom of the bike.  If there's alot, there's a problem with fuel control and there's probably fuel in the crankcase as well.  Also, if you check the oil every time you ride you will know there's a problem if your bike "made oil" from the last time.

My bike had both these problems.  The rockers were all that were damaged to the point of needing replacement.  There are scratches in the cam "bearing" seats in the head, but it polished up and works OK.  I had the advantage of seeing this thing for a year as my neighbor's project before I bought it.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 03/26/05 at 07:21:04

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Affirmative, there is an inlet oil screen on the oil pump.

So that means that only small particles could enter the oil pump, right?  

And I assume that the mesh on that screen is intended to stop any particles that would be big enough to "clog" the oil pump...and the rest are caught downstream in the oil filter before going through the different oil passages.

And I assume that the dealer knows everything.  Yeah, right.  All I know is this is the first time someone in any of the forums (that I've visited) has been told he needed a new oil pump....hmmmm.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #20 - 03/26/05 at 07:44:05

To satisfy yourself about the oil pump, clean up the top of the head before re-assembling, and then look inside a rocker cover after running the bike for a few minutes.  If oil's up there, you're fine.  If not, then worry about a clog somewhere.

I really doubt you need a new oil pump, but I believe that from experience with this kind of stuff.  Dealers make money on service, so it should not surprise you they will make it sound like the world is ending if you don't fork over the cash.  That, and most parts counter people and just plain stupid anymore.  Good ones are hard to find.  You can spot them by the gray hair (or gone hair).

If it weren't for those dealers and green parts guys, I wouldn't get such good deals on used equipment.

The savage is not pressure oiled like a small block Chevy, it's pretty much splash - move- splash.  If there's oil at the top of the motor at all, the oil pump is fine.  Permatex may clog the pickup screen and/or the oil filter, but it will go right through the positive displacement pump.

The top end damage is likely from too little oil, gas in the oil, or overheating.  

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/26/05 at 15:26:34

Alrighty then, upon further investigation I found:

There is oil in the top of the head where the cam sits and in the notorious oilplug thingy.

The oil in the head showed no sign of permatex, although it was pretty black.

The old oil filter showed no sign of permatex.

Opened the airbox and took out airfilter, smelled very strongly of gas.

Oil in head smelled faintly like gear lube from a ford rear-end.

So I am going with the leaking fuel shut-off theory. I'm going to order a new one from RonAyers.com. I'll just throw the cam and rockers in and check the head  for oil like you suggested. I am thinking of running some tranny fluid through it first to clean any gunk out of it.
While I'm waiting for parts, gotta get that stupid airbox out of there. Going with the pod filter seems a better bet. I'll keep you all updated!!

Thanks for the help!!

Brian

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #22 - 03/27/05 at 01:36:26

I had to put a foam pod filter on KLX due to frame clearance problems.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #23 - 03/27/05 at 02:42:16

When you have the rightsidecover off check for presence of the oilpress restrictor. It sits on the left-upper side of the crankcase. If it is missing the oilpressure( supply) going to the head is not enough.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

BTW Like your modified Triump logo.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 03/27/05 at 06:23:00

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
When you have the rightsidecover off check for presence of the oilpress restrictor. It sits on the left-upper side of the crankcase. If it is missing the oilpressure( supply) going to the head is not enough.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

BTW Like your modified Triump logo.

Ah, not only is that an oil restrictor as you mention, but it is also an oil jet/nozzle for lubing the clutch plates.  Right behind it is a vertical oil passage (through a cylinder stud hole) that goes up to the top of the head cover.

So as Kropachek says, if that is missing, there could have been an oil pressure loss to the tope end

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 03/27/05 at 06:27:06

hellstorm wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Alrighty then, upon further investigation I found:

There is oil in the top of the head where the cam sits and in the notorious oilplug thingy.

The oil in the head showed no sign of permatex, although it was pretty black.

The old oil filter showed no sign of permatex.

Opened the airbox and took out airfilter, smelled very strongly of gas.

Oil in head smelled faintly like gear lube from a ford rear-end.

So I am going with the leaking fuel shut-off theory. I'm going to order a new one from RonAyers.com. I'll just throw the cam and rockers in and check the head  for oil like you suggested. I am thinking of running some tranny fluid through it first to clean any gunk out of it.
While I'm waiting for parts, gotta get that stupid airbox out of there. Going with the pod filter seems a better bet. I'll keep you all updated!!

Thanks for the help!!

Brian

When you put your new cam in, use some engine assembly grease on the plain bearings, lobes and the rocker arms.

Good luck with the airbox removal.  That will send you down a new discovery path for sure...don't forget that the ignition unit mounts ON the airbox  Grin

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #26 - 03/27/05 at 20:16:42

If you decide to replace the fuel valve, send the old one to me and I'll convert it to on/off/reserve for you.

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/27/05 at 20:27:13

So if I send you my fuel shut-off valve you'll convert it for me? That would be great! Thats the best thing thats happened to me today. Why you say, because my car took a dive today and it's toast. It's been a hellauva day and now I have to get another car to get around, ahhhhh! Anyway e-mail me your address and I'll send it out. THANK YOU!!!!!

Brian

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #28 - 03/27/05 at 20:47:22

Your email address is hidden.  email me at belindabobo@sbcglobal.netand I'll reply.

This will be like overhaulin', except you know what's going on up front.  Alot of folks have asked how to do the manual conversion so I'll take pics and post in the tech section.

Sorry to hear about your car.  What kind of car, and happened?

Arlington Texas
  IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/28/05 at 05:49:09

Sorry, my e-mail should be visible now, chaged my profile. The car was an 88' Subaru, very realiable until yesterday. Think I blew a valve stem seal or rings, smoking like a James Bond car. Now just have to get a new ride, unexpected, but thats life.

Thanks,

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:47:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.