Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New girl (Read 14 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

Re: New girl
Reply #15 - 03/18/05 at 09:18:50

The short version  Grin
Inside the carb, there are different jets that control different throttle position. So if you want to richen up a specific throttle range (for example 1/4 to 1/2 throttle) then you will change that jetting system. But it isnt really cut and dry becuase there is overlap. meaning that multiple jets are working at the same time. See the following chart for what jets control specific throttle positions.

Well, the main jet (the 152.5) only controlls 3/4 to full throttle, meaning that by swapping it out, you are only going to notice a difference on the highway because that is really the only time you are at full throttle. For driving around town, you are usually between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. So to richen up that part of the carb, you have remove or shorten the factory governing spacer that is on the needle jet in your carb. It was put there by Suzuki so that you carb will run on the lean side (not ideal). It has been determined that if you file the spacer down to half its orignial size then your carb will perform much better at idle to 3/4 throttle. This is what it looks like

To get to the spacer, remove the top of the carb (4 phillips head screws and they are in there real tight), then remove the diaphragm slide from the carburetor and look down inside it. Two small screws hold a metal plate over the slide needle. Removing the plate, you'll see the small, white plastic spacer with a hole through it sitting on top of the needle. take it out (take care not to lose the spring) and using a file, file it down to 1/2 its original size, then reinstall it.  A spring under the needle clip will now push the needle up to the plate occupying the space vacated by the white spacer. The distance that the needle has been 'lifted' is the thickness of the discarded spacer - and that's ideal. With the needle raised, more fuel will flow by it, meeting the actual needs of midrange running.

*I Thank everyone on this board that helped me with this mod,  and who took the time to take the pictures*

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/18/05 at 09:38:14

Oh yeah, you should also adjust the idle mixture screw to fatten up the low end of your bike's carburetor. To gain access to this screw, you'll need to drill out the brass plug pressed in over it and yank it out with a sheet-metal screw attached to a slide hammer.** be real carfull with the drill, if you drill in too far, you will fu*c up the slot on the screw and have to buy a new one. Only drill enough the get through the surface.
See the Idle mixture screw location in this picture

Usually Suzuki applies a splash of white paint over the brass plug so that it's immediately noticeable. With the engine warmed up and idling, turn the mixture screw out incrementally until you achieve the highest idle. There will be no doubt in your mind that you're making progress because the idle will come up and sound stronger. At this point, turn the idle adjuster knob out and bring the idle back down to a leisurely gait. with the 3 modifications (main jet, needle jet spacer & Idle mixture screw) you bike will run much better, perform  better and will hardly ever backfire.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 03/18/05 at 22:38:43

And for Odin's sake, replace all of those philips-head screws with stainless allen screws.  They will be much easier to access next time.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 03/19/05 at 01:20:14

I use stainless allen bolts on the header on KLX, I was lucky to get the plain steel ones out they were so badly corroded.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 03/19/05 at 07:33:56

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
And for Odin's sake, replace all of those philips-head screws with stainless allen screws.  They will be much easier to access next time.

You can see them in that photo on the top of my carb.

And yes, I really don't know why I painted the top of the carb.  You can't really see it when it's installed.  I might have had a blonde moment with the spray can  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 03/19/05 at 07:34:45

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I use stainless allen bolts on the header on KLX, I was lucky to get the plain steel ones out they were so badly corroded.

Clive W  Cheesy

Use any anti-sieze on the bolts?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #21 - 03/19/05 at 08:31:14

Copper grease, also put a dab on button head anodised aluminium allen bolts that hold the bodywork, tank and seat.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 03/19/05 at 08:53:12

That's what I meant.  Yep.

IP Logged
allgirl
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Spokane, Wa
Reply #23 - 03/19/05 at 10:23:28

WOw !!!,
thank !!!  this is so cool ,
and thank you nightrain for all that. WoW ... now if I can get my printer to work this is going to be great !!
I just sent the guy a money order for my harley muffler,
so we are looking at next month to start working on this ... it all most look like I can do this my self .... LOL
but good thang I have friends  ... LOL
thank again you guys !
Connie

WWW carrc77@aol.com   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 03/19/05 at 12:02:17

With the available dealer support for the Savage, you need friends.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:59:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New girl

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.