Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Safety Inspections" by state? (Read 3 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
"Safety Inspections" by state?
03/12/05 at 07:19:08

I know that Oregon doesn't have emissions testing for motorcycles, but what about a "Safety Inspection"?  

You know, where they have just another excuse to take your money just to check your lights and brakes....

They were required in NC, but what about Oregon?  I sure would like to get rid of the inspection sticker plate on my bike.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Re: "Safety Inspections" by state?
Reply #1 - 03/12/05 at 10:00:42

NY does have saftey inspections but as of yet, they have not required emissions testing. One thing about NY I dont like (among many) is they require that the inspection sticker be placed on the lower front left fork. I am not happy about putting it there. I was moderately happy that last years color at least matched my flames but who knows what this year will bring.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 03/12/05 at 10:14:34

here in washington state they don't have safety inspections.

i do one each time i go out to ride.  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/12/05 at 12:32:17

Tony wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
NY does have saftey inspections but as of yet, they have not required emissions testing. One thing about NY I dont like (among many) is they require that the inspection sticker be placed on the lower front left fork. I am not happy about putting it there. I was moderately happy that last years color at least matched my flames but who knows what this year will bring.
[img]

Normally in NC they put it on the fork too, but you are allowed to use an plate mounted on the left front side of the bike instead....yeah, and last year's safety yellow color wasn't a good match either.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 03/12/05 at 12:33:26

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
here in washington state they don't have safety inspections.

i do one each time i go out to ride.  Grin

I wonder about OR simply because I haven't seen anything mentioned about it in writing....I guess I need to just find another biker

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/12/05 at 18:13:50

The inspection in Missouri is safety, not emissions. And you also have to have one of the stickers on the left front fork tube.   Shocked < doesn't mean anything, just don't think I've seen it used before!

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 03/12/05 at 18:41:08

Pennsylvania has a yearly safety inspection for motorcycles but doesn't have any emissions inspections for bikes yet. The inspection sticker goes on the left from fork, even classic bikes need an inspection and a sticker. The only bike that doesn't need an inspection is a antique, over 25 years old. With a antique you need to get the bike retitled and are limited on when you can ride it.  The big change is that a lot of local towns have been passing noise laws targetting open pipes on bikes. They are going out and getting a decibel meter and training the local police on it's use. A lot of the inspection stations in the state frown on real loud pipes, other don't seem to care, guess it's that way everywhere. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 03/12/05 at 21:10:55

In Az there are 2 options:1.You live in Phoenix or Tucson/and their counties/ and You have to go thru emissions. Other than that the bike is required to have 1 miror, 1 brakes and lights                      
                                         2. You live in the rest of the state and You don't care.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #8 - 03/13/05 at 06:32:31

Texas requires an annual safety inspection, but no emissions inspection yet even in the Dallas/FtWorth ozone non-attainment area (bad air).  Loud pipes are OK, but according to the law there has to be a baffle somewhere visible to the inspector.  Most inspectors are bikers themselves and don't care to look for the baffle.

The inspector told me the sticker can go anywhere I want, so I put it on the belt cover.  Alot of folks put it by the license plate.

My old cars (64 Impala and 65 LeSabre) are registered as antiques and don't require ANY inspection at all.  Bikes are probably that way too, but I don't know.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/05 at 19:33:04

Louisiana has safety inspection. 10 dollars, 5 minutes, sign a book.  Do not have to display the sticker, just have to present it if stopped. Different jurisdictions have different laws about pipes, lights, etc.  Rarely enforced unless the police do not like the way you look.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #10 - 03/14/05 at 06:11:44

In Ohio there is none, unless you import a bike and title over the state line.  Then you can just take it to a car dealer, bike dealer and if it has at least a tailight and a headlight, they'll sign off.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/16/05 at 04:48:52

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
In Ohio there is none, unless you import a bike and title over the state line.  Then you can just take it to a car dealer, bike dealer and if it has at least a tailight and a headlight, they'll sign off.

They do that to verify the VIN or something, right?  I think that's what goes on here.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/16/05 at 11:30:41

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 03/18/05 at 12:56:48

I am in motorcycle Heaven.....since I'm off today, I had a chance to look for a bike shop.  I found a huge dealership that is just 2 miles from home.

Not only do they have a huge inventory of new bikes and all kinds of gear, they also have a large display of antique bikes which includes 3 bikes from my past.  They even have a mint condition white Honda Sport 50...which is "not for sale"...just like this file photo....My first bike in 1966.

Then after I was done looking at bikes, I bought new aftermarket turn-signals for my bike, and 2 sets of rear brake shoes for both our Savages.

And just so that I'm following the subject of this topic, I also found out that Oregon DOES NOT have safety inspections.

NO STICKERS IN OREGON!!!!  

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 03/18/05 at 18:48:40

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
..... They even have a mint condition white Honda Sport 50...which is "not for sale"...just like this file photo....My first bike in 1966.
The Honda Sport 50 was my first bike also.  A black '64.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:47:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Safety Inspections" by state?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.