Exhaust port (Read 86 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Exhaust port
03/12/05 at 06:21:48

There have been a lot of new members since the last time I asked this question so I'll ask it again, have any of You modded that horrible Savage exhaust port and with what results ?
Thanks a lot,

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Exhaust port
Reply #1 - 03/12/05 at 07:00:14

Ah, but I haven't forgotten.  It's on my "to-do" list  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/05 at 10:05:55

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
There have been a lot of new members since the last time I asked this question so I'll ask it again, have any of You modded that horrible Savage exhaust port and with what results ?
Thanks a lot,

Clive W  Cheesy

I've ground the "V" section down about a 1/4" in the exhaust port and beveled the outlet opening as much as possible so that the bevelled edge just meets with the inside diameter of the exhaust gasket. The following pic at this link[url]http://members.shaw.ca/kenerechook/exhaustport.htm  [/url] shows the ground out "V" section but not the additional bevelling, which I did after the head had been reconditioned in the machine shop and neglected to take a pic at that time. You must be careful when removing the "V" section, you have only so much meat between the port and the valve side of the head, (MEASURE CAREFULLY!) and remove as much material as you deem safe.
As for results: The final results will only be realized when I get the opportunity to break the new engine in properly(see "86 REBUILD" on page 3 of this forum for more info) and consequently dial in the carb (which must be done at full throttle for main jet sizing)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 03/12/05 at 12:48:30

How much bigger is the opening than this stock picture?

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/12/05 at 14:22:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
How much bigger is the opening than this stock picture?
http://home.comcast.net/~gmdinusa/ExPort01web.jpg

1.499" plus or minus .005"

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/05 at 16:17:24

Opening that exhaust port exit will increase reversion based low rpm performance issues (even with our low rpm biased camshaft).  How much difference in size is left between the size of the header tubing and the exhaust port expansion you did?  (Then again actual performance loss and gains from your work would be hard to quantify since you changed multiple things at once).

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 03/13/05 at 01:42:19

Hey Woodworker,
I am so pleased to hear that someone has finally done it and opened up that port, well done and thanks a lot.
I would have been happy to open the circular part but I had no idea about the "V" section and am pleased You put a number on it.1/4" is more than I expected and should make a big difference.
Sorry I missed Your link on feb 25 but have read it now.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 03/13/05 at 01:57:21

Hey Greg,
This is good news for You too, that port being opened up to 1.5" is a perfect match for Your Raask pipe.
The increase of a quarter of an inch is a big percentage.
You have this to look foreward to.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/05 at 03:12:22

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hey Woodworker,
I am so pleased to hear that someone has finally done it and opened up that port, well done and thanks a lot.
I would have been happy to open the circular part but I had no idea about the "V" section and am pleased You put a number on it.1/4" is more than I expected and should make a big difference.
Sorry I missed Your link on feb 25 but have read it now.

Clive W  Cheesy

That 1/4" removed from the "V" section is an estimate!As mentioned previously, be very careful as to how much you remove. It is difficult to measure the thickness of material left from the interior of the head to the top of that "V" section!

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/13/05 at 03:17:01

PRH111 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Opening that exhaust port exit will increase reversion based low rpm performance issues (even with our low rpm biased camshaft).  How much difference in size is left between the size of the header tubing and the exhaust port expansion you did?  (Then again actual performance loss and gains from your work would be hard to quantify since you changed multiple things at once).

If reversion becomes a major issue and there is no way to correct it with header sizing, I plan to TIG weld and regrind the opening back to original size.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 03/13/05 at 04:33:48

I don't think You'll have to weld anything, KLX is 39.6mm and drives from tickover.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 03/13/05 at 05:33:25

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
1.499" plus or minus .005"

How about this part?  how much did you grind here?

(image gone)

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/13/05 at 06:39:57

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
How about this part?  how much did you grind here?
http://home.comcast.net/~gmdinusa/ExPort02web.jpg

Greg; If you have another look at my head (which is inverted from the picture of your head) you will see the "V" section with a flat spot on it about 1/2" wide after grinding. As previously mentioned, it is difficult to measure how much meat you  have between the valve side of the head and the exhaust port side. Extra caution is required! I never did take a measurement of the dimension you are looking for.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/13/05 at 07:01:02

So, after your porting work, what kind of performance difference did you realize from it?  Was this done by itself or did you do other upgrades at the same time?

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/13/05 at 07:04:21

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So, after your porting work, what kind of performance difference did you realize from it?  Was this done by itself or did you do other upgrades at the same time?

Check above for more info and this link[url] http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...  [/url]

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:38:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.