Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Exhaust port
Reply #15 - 03/13/05 at 15:31:10

woodworker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Greg; If you have another look at my head (which is inverted from the picture of your head) you will see the "V" section with a flat spot on it about 1/2" wide after grinding. As previously mentioned, it is difficult to measure how much meat you  have between the valve side of the head and the exhaust port side. Extra caution is required! I never did take a measurement of the dimension you are looking for.

The reason I asked is because of a conversation that I had with Clive sometime ago.  According to the lubrication schematic that I have there appears to be an oil passage across the front of the head in that area.  I don't know if it is just my interpretation of the schematic or if there is no issue about it in this area.

Aside from that the only head work that I have done is to polish the intake.  Did you remove the valves before grinding?

IP Logged
woodworker
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/13/05 at 17:25:39

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The reason I asked is because of a conversation that I had with Clive sometime ago.  According to the lubrication schematic that I have there appears to be an oil passage across the front of the head in that area.  I don't know if it is just my interpretation of the schematic or if there is no issue about it in this area.

Aside from that the only head work that I have done is to polish the intake.  Did you remove the valves before grinding?

As you can see in the pic of my head, the old valves were still in it when I did the filing (I actually only used a flat file to cut down the "V"and a round file to open up the opening). I later removed the valves and guides and then brought the head to a machine shop to have the valve seats ground and new guides, valves, and springs installed. What grit of sandpaper did you use to polish the intake? I came across an article somewhere (using a search engine) that said not to go any finer than 80 grit on the intake as further polishing makes the fuel cling to the surface.
As for an oil passage in the area of the "V" across the exhaust port, I am thankful I was lucky enough not to find it! This is probably another reason to use utmost care when you decide how much you are going to file off.
Let's hope that Suzuki has used the same mould to cast the heads of the LS650 since they began producing them in 1986!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 03/14/05 at 01:31:31

Well Greg it looks like You can open up that circular part of the port to 1.5" without worry. But care and careful meaauring is needed for the V section.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/16/05 at 22:05:44

I would personally avoid opening up just the edge of the exhaust port unless the rest of the exhaust port is opened as well otherwise you create a lower velocity higher pressure area right before the header (granted it will be a very very small difference in velocity).  Having a "step" from the port to the header isn't bad because it reduces reversion (as I mentioned earlier).

You could polish the exhaust port though.  I'd debur the combustion chamber as well if I had the head off.  

I've never tried using a file, that must have been tedious.  I prefer to use my die grinder for steel or iron and my dremel for aluminum.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 03/17/05 at 05:26:27

Yep.  You need a pressure drop.  Not that I can quote any numbers, but I know that.  Since the ID on my Raask is larger than stock, I can approach that size for the exhaust port.

When I polished my intake, I used a Dremel tool and emory cloth.  Mostly to just remove all the rough casting lines and really rough spots.  I pulled the valves to give me better access, but since the engine was only 1 year old, I didn't have anything done to the guides or the seats.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #20 - 06/04/05 at 06:07:36

Hope this is of use/interest to some of you out there,I can't do links.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 06/04/05 at 06:15:13

Yep, but once again this little mod will need to wait for next winter....again.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #22 - 06/04/05 at 06:22:23

This is a blast from the past, it allways seems to come back to the port.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 03/08/07 at 05:37:48

Well, we can't let this one fade away.  The last thing I said was "next" winter....but I should have said, "next after next".  I never lost my "to do list" Grin

Got a grinder yesterday and have some carbide bits and polishing pads...

Time to open that puppy up.

Still there, Clive?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 03/08/07 at 06:33:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Well, we can't let this one fade away.  The last thing I said was "next" winter....but I should have said, "next after next".  I never lost my "to do list" Grin

Got a grinder yesterday and have some carbide bits and polishing pads...

Time to open that puppy up.

Still there, Clive?

Quite interesting subject - how much seems to be the question - there's a good '98 spare head in the garage just waiting for such experiments - want a practice subject?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #25 - 03/08/07 at 07:04:02

this guy has a different way of porting:  mototuneusa.com
the D port   interesting ideas...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/08/07 at 07:09:22

Suzuki may not have engineered the finest exhaust port here, but I have a hard time believing they are goofy enough to run an oil passage thru the top of the port. Seems that might be a bt hard on the oil getting exhaust heat that close. Might cake the wall up. I think I saw somewhere the flat part inside the port is the recess for an exhaust valve spring.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 03/08/07 at 07:51:08

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I think I saw somewhere the flat part inside the port is the recess for an exhaust valve spring.

Ya have to realize that this was a bunch of brainstorming months and months ago.

Anyway, yes the flat is for the valve spring.  Where I'm gonna grind is closer to the exhaust port itself because the ID in my Raask is larger than the stock header. Can't go all the way because ya need a pressure drop, but can be improved...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 03/08/07 at 07:56:26

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Quite interesting subject - how much seems to be the question - there's a good '98 spare head in the garage just waiting for such experiments - want a practice subject?

I already got one Tongue

Thanks.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 03/08/07 at 08:36:43

oh well just have to find my round tuit one of these days - have a nib late 80's single wall header pipe and megaphone  MAC to port match

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:37:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.