Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage question (Read 6 times)
handsome pete

Savage question
03/10/05 at 05:26:14

I am looking at buying a 2000 Suzuki Savage and had a few questions I thought you all might be able to answer.  I have had a lot of bikes in the last few years yamaha xs400, honda cb650 and cb750 and cb200, and a royal enfield bullet.  But I am now looking at a suzuki savage as a reliable newer bike for around town riding as well as short weekend trips.  
My questions,
are the bars 7/8 or 1 inch
how reliable are savages
how well do they corner (will my pegs scrape while leaning in twisting highway on ramps)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Savage question
Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 05:48:02

Welcome to the world according to SAVAGE.  The Savage is a very reliable bike and is capable of any type of riding you may disire, short or long distance riding.   The only limit to this I have found is the seat, but with the new seat on the 2005 and the optional gel seat (highly recommended) even that issue is taken care of.

The bars are 1", so most of the bar stuff made for Harleys and such will work, they are less expensive most of the time.

The Savage handles well, you can take a pretty hard corner before you drag anything.  The limitation for the bike is the suspension.  The forks work well but the rear shocks have limited travel and are not top quality.  This is an inexpensive bike so no surprise here.  Shocks can be replaced though if you desire top quality.

The power is low for a 650 but can be perked up fairly easily with exhaust and filter change and carb rejetting.  Next would be a regrind for the cam and carb swap.  The stock bike has about 30 HP, with upgrades you can get it to about 40HP.

Bottom line, the Savage is a great bike for the money and fun to ride.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 17:49:35

I have found a drivers backrest makes rides longer than an hour VERY comfy.  And easy to put on and take off...about 2 seconds to do.

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 21:47:42

What kind of backrest do you have? Hard to install? Sounds like a good mod to do for longer rides.  Any other ways to do it/ideas? While putting the saddlebags on I also did the riser on the front of the seat which I think will also help. The seat doesn't seem too bad to me, I did 250 miles last Sunday (5 hours) and it didn't get too bad. Any of them I think will get to you after 5 hours!

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #4 - 03/12/05 at 07:21:08

handsome pete wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....how reliable are savages
how well do they corner (will my pegs scrape while leaning in twisting highway on ramps)

I'm original owner to my 2002 since 8/02 and have put on about 20600 miles. I haven't had any major problem. Only recently did I find evidence of what seemed to be a minor oil leak at the cylinder head, but it stopped. I've taken some long trips, riding as much as 630 miles in one day, which was a killer to do. I was kinda grumpy at the end, but my bike performed most excellently. Cheesy

I find it corners quite well. I haven't done anything like the Dragon, but I've done some nice twisties in upstate NY.

Good luck,

Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.