Fender flap (Read 8 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Fender flap
03/09/05 at 19:48:32

I really hate that the leading edge of the rear fender stops short of the swing arm. It allows dirt: rocks, mud, dust to  gather on the swing arm, drivebelt and engine. Not anymore. I made a flap from an old floor mat and bolted it to the inside of the fender.
BTW, Black Betty has original paint and with the camera's flash you can see the multi coloured metalic specs on the side cover  in the top right side cornor of the pic.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Re: Fender flap
Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 00:19:27

Good idea!

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 05:38:32

I did a similar thing...but I used the fender mounting bolts Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 05:45:58

Yeah, I have the same flaps Greg has (he told me about 'em).  They're about $4 at JCWhitney.  I've only mounted the front one so far but will likely mount the other on the front of the rear fender too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 03/11/05 at 10:00:51

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Yeah, I have the same flaps Greg has (he told me about 'em).  They're about $4 at JCWhitney.  I've only mounted the front one so far but will likely mount the other on the front of the rear fender too.

There are 2 things that you can't see on mine.  First, I made 2 stainless "fingers" that I put behind the flap to keep the flap from rubbing on the swingarm.  One on each bolt.  They can't be seen from the front either, but they hold the flap in towards the tire...about 3/4" away from the tire.  That way the dirt is aimed downward and away from the swingarm.

Second, because I used the fender mounting bolts, I still needed to be able to apply a good torque on the bolts while not crushing the rubber flap.  So I made 2 sleeves that slide over the bolts and the same thickness as the flap.  Then with the flap sandwiched between the fingers and the flat washers, I was able to properly tighten the bolts.  I also used Locktite on the bolts...just in case.

Either method has to be better than mud or rocks on the swingarm.  Like the petc0ck issue the fender is another sort of "form vs function" oversight by Suzuki.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:02:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fender flap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.