Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A bike for Eric's Wife (Read 10 times)
erik
Ex Member

Re: A bike for Eric's Wife
Reply #15 - 03/06/05 at 23:11:52

let me add that i have wanted to take the class from the get go - we were trying to work it out so it wasn't necessary.  and i concur with the person that posted regarding husband and wives teaching each other - it can be too close to home and hard to take either way  Wink
Please - if you have taken the class provide feedback - where did it help - if it didn't help how - that kind of information.  Thank you!! Deborah

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #16 - 03/06/05 at 23:14:09

ever considered a small trike? suzuki volusia or 750 shadow, NOT a motorcycle any more, BUT, can be loads of fun.

IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/05 at 23:20:14

To be honest i have a very vauge dream of a side car for my beloved dog Smokey Wink - i don't know how that measures up with a trike Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 03/07/05 at 05:38:27

If you are still serious about riding you should see if the state you live in provides the motorcycle riders saftey course. Here in Pennsylvania it is given to any licenced driver for free. It's well worth the time and effort, I learned a lot when I took it. Glad to here you didn't get hurt and hope you will stay in the wind. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 03/07/05 at 06:11:59

Hi Deborah!  Any change is upsetting.  If you are not comfortable on the bike you will be concerned about that and not fully concentrating on where you are going.

My first bike was a brand new 1964  Honda Sport 50.  In '74 I bought a Yamaha DT175 Enduro which I rode dirt and street until '86 when I got married and sold it.  I am not a newbie.

Back in '74 I went to the DMV on a Sunday when it was closed and tried the test course.  Failed.  Never bothered to get my motorcycle endorsement.  This time, after 18 years not riding, I took the MSF course so as to waive the DMV road test.  First day riding I learned what I was doing wrong and why I was unable to pass the DMV test 30 years prior.

I thought it interesting that about 2/3rds of the class were old codgers who decided to get back on bikes after 10-20 year layoffs.  I feel that I got my $200 worth.  The 1/3 of the class that had never ridden before also all passed.

The advantage of the MSF course is that all the basics will be covered -- there will not be a "oops!  forgot to mention" as you lay in a crumpled heap.  Also with the class you are with others of similar experience levels and see for yourself that what they are telling you works.

One of the stressed points is that you go where you are looking.  If you want to go left, you look left.  If you want to go right, you look right.  And if you look at the curb as you turn into the parking lot you will run into the curb.

WWW   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #20 - 03/09/05 at 00:55:30

Hi Deborah.  TAKE THE CLASS!!  Learn from profesional teachers.  That's what they get paid to do, day after day, through hundreds if not thousands of idiots before us.  For instance.... my boyfriend doesn't "know" about counter stearing even though he does it.  You will learn many things in the class that your husband will just never think to teach you.  Added benefit you only have to take the written test to get the motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.  I can't stress enough...... Learn from profesionals.

As to dumping the bike... I agree with you.  You were on a strange bike and everything feels different, responds different.  I took the MSF class on a GZ250 (hated it)  then bought the Savage.  My first ride, 1/2 block from the house, 1st turn and headed straight for the esplanade.  I had done everything wrong, knew it and couldnt undo it except one thing that went through my head..... Teacher said if you know your gonna crash "do something".  So I locked down on the brakes and stopped/fell about 3 inches short of the curb.  One scraped elbow and a brused knee, very minor damage to the bike.  I got up and got right back on but what I know now is that the rake of the forks and the higher handle bars changes how a bike handles in curves/turns, thats why I dumped it, it just didn't handle like the GZ250.  I read somewhere that most accidents happen within the 1st 6 months of owning a bike.  Not just your first bike but any bike no matter how many years of riding experience.

So in closing let me just say one more time... take the class.  When/if you pass you will know if you really want to ride or not and you will ride with confidence.  Hope this helps.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 03/09/05 at 05:48:11

I have to agree on taking the MSF course.  I took it as a refresher after not riding for about 14 years.  It was a lot of fun and good for my skills.  I plan to take the advanced course at about 2 year intervals just for the refresher (and some insurance companies offer a discount for folks who pass an MSF course).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/09/05 at 10:25:40

I still got this mint Virago 250 sitting here!

IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/09/05 at 13:18:01

Thank you all for your advice and support - I'm planning on taking the course and Erik has agreed to let that dictate the next step.  I'll keep you posted Smiley  Deborah

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #24 - 03/09/05 at 13:30:21

That's great, enjoy the class. It will make you a safer rider Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/09/05 at 13:37:26

Mrs. Eric,    Take the class & then tell him what he's doing wrong. I had a V-Star and loved it, perfect balance, I'm just not tall enough to reach the brake. That made for scary riding. The transition to the Savage was hard, it doesn't seem to balance quite as well, but when I do dump it, I can pick it up easily.
I have been on & off bikes for 45 years & am going to take the MRSC this weekend with one of my daughters just for fun.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:44:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A bike for Eric's Wife

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.