Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
it's official (Read 10 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

Re: it's official
Reply #15 - 03/04/05 at 15:17:16

The only thing about Texas that I really can't take is all the garbage.  Every roadside looks like a dump.  When I was in Robinson Township, PA, on business, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the roads, and neighborhoods.  I noticed in your shot of your town in Newfoundland, it looed like a National Geographic picture.  Neat old buildings, rolling hills, everything looked pristine.  If I took a picture of my neighborhood, you think it was a third world country.  I mean, everyone in the neighborhood is fine, but something about mobile homes attracts poor housekeeping skills.  I should know, I own a double wide.  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 03/04/05 at 17:23:27

I think it depends a lot on the locale; somea areas are cleaner than others.  I live in Garland (E/NE of Dallas, for those of you unfamilar with the area) and agree that nearer the cities and in some freeway areas it can be a problem.  However, I just have to think of how it looked in the 70's to appreciate it now.  It is truly a huge improvement.  Remember those commercials with the American Indian/Native American looking at the side of the freeway with a tear rolling down his face?  Remember when cans had pull tabs and they were everywhere on the sides of the roads and in lakes and streams?  Yes, it's still a problem but it's much better.  In my experience, the further you get away from the cities and main drags, the cleaner it gets.  Try riding in Big Bend in West Texas (the Davis Mountains are sweet) or the piney woods of East Texas.  There are some truly beautiful areas.  I just hope that there aren't too many rollbacks of pollution controls made by the current administration.  I'll cross my fingers.  So far as CLEAN cities go, Singapore is the best I've ever seen.  Of course, they fine you heavily for littering, cane you for defacing public property and use prisoners to clean stuff up too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/07/05 at 20:35:18

I used to work just past Garland, on Plano Rd.  At a place called Marlow Industries.  That particular area was very clean, because of the high dollar businesses.  But, just a block away on Forest Lane (I think), it looked like crap.  I remember all those commercials Rob mentioned, and definetly remember the pull tabs.
We used to be big into metal detectors.  We'd go to the local swimming areas, and metal detect all along the beach, and into the water (they were waterproof Garrett's).  We got to where we could recognize the sound the detector made when it passed over a pull tab.  So we wouldn't waste time digging.  Thank God they stopped producing those.  
I got an email the other day about things that people born after 1986 won't ever experience, and pull tabs was on the list.  Good thing.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #18 - 03/08/05 at 06:15:25

I've only been to TX a couple times.  Both times in summer or fall.   What I liked was the dry heat, friendly people, wild west attitude, and that the women seemed to thrive well in top heavy kind of way.

What I didn't like the incessant flatness, lack of trees, and all the brown scenery.

I grew up in Ohio and lived here all my life. whenever I travel out I really appreciate all the green everywhere when I return.   It's humid in the summer, but man is it green.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #19 - 03/08/05 at 08:24:10

guys guys guys! fm 4, which is listed in the top ten great rides in texas in the magazine Ride Texas, starts just south of where i live. do NOT tell me there is no pretty country around here.
4 starts in grandview and ends in jacksboro.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #20 - 03/08/05 at 08:25:42

gitarzan, the brown in summer must have been during some of the drought years. it's been vibrantly green for years. last year was the wetest year in history.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 03/08/05 at 10:18:37

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
gitarzan, the brown in summer must have been during some of the drought years. it's been vibrantly green for years. last year was the wetest year in history.

Kinda depends on where he was too.  It's a big place and it is very different in various areas.  For instance, he mentioned the dry heat... tells me he wasn't in Corpus Christi or anywhere else along the coast.  In fact, even the San Antonio area is usually humid.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #22 - 03/08/05 at 10:51:58

I've only been in FTW and Arlington.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #23 - 03/08/05 at 12:25:06

Yes it is

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #24 - 03/08/05 at 13:12:35

savagethumper

Your next trip try heading north east into SouthEastern Oklahoma take the TALIMENA DRIVE Follow Route 1 from Talihina, OK to Mena, AK. amazing You can't believe your in Oklahoma. The highest peaks between the Appalachian Mountains and the Rockies Very cool. I went there last weekend.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/08/05 at 18:29:22

My parents alwasy talk about Talimena Drive.  It looks pretty cool.  That's just a half days ride for me.  May do that before I'm employed again.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 03/08/05 at 18:30:28

I can't believe that after all the years I spent in Oklahoma I missed that drive.  Now I know which route I will be taking on my next trip through the area.
Thanks

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike

Reply #27 - 03/08/05 at 20:13:03

no worrys guys when you do look me up I'm game!!! 8)

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/09/05 at 10:38:43

Pffft... riding "season"? Whats that? there has not been a week all winter that there was not at least one day good enough for a ride here in South Carolina...  Tongue

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #29 - 03/09/05 at 11:54:35

That sux better weather is coming though

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3