Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag measurement question (Read 6 times)
Karen

Saddlebag measurement question
03/01/05 at 06:37:30

I've been lurking here for a while, and I've learned a lot.  So my way of repaying all of you for teaching me so much is to ask a question that I'm sure has been covered a million times before.  Sorry to be redundant.  

I just got the S40.  Grin  I know people here have the Willie & Max Compact Slant saddlebags -- but I was wondering if anyone has the Deluxe Slant bags (as opposed to the Compact), or if they'd even fit?  (They're 13" wide, 12" high, and 5" deep.)

I tried measuring; I know to measure from the back of the turn signal, but up to where?

Yeah, I can be pretty dense...  Undecided  I'd just hate to order on line and then have them not fit, or fit awkwardly.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Michael

Re: Saddlebag measurement question
Reply #1 - 03/01/05 at 13:42:54

Karen..

.I have another brand slant saddlebags, measuring 14 long, 11 high and 5 deep...they look a bit big on the savage, but not too bad...The way i see it is....if you are gonna spend big bucks for bags, you might as well go as large as you can, therefore allowing maximun cargo.....Those tiny bags kind of defeat the whole purpose of having bags.....I can cary  a full shopping bags in each of mine, plus a tool kit, and rain gear

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 03/01/05 at 17:08:00

I have 18 quart Leatherlyke hard saddlebags that measure  7 1/2" wide x 11 1/2" deep x 18 1/2" long.
Picture...Picture...
Turn signals relocated to beside the license plate.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 03/01/05 at 17:10:54

Kadge wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....I tried measuring; I know to measure from the back of the turn signal, but up to where?... 
That would depend on whether you require space for a passenger's leg.

WWW   IP Logged
Karen

Reply #4 - 03/01/05 at 21:08:00

Thanks for your responses.  

Michael, I agree with you about wanting to get the largest bags I can get -- I'm just trying to strike a balance between something big enough to be functional and something that isn't so big it looks like I crammed it onto my bike.  

Paladin, I've seen your Leatherlykes here before (at least, I think they were yours) -- they look great.  Unfortunately, right now I'm a total newbie and not ready to relocate anything just yet...

Also, being completely new at this, I have no interest in carrying a passenger -- the passenger seat's just there to hold the saddlebags.   Smiley

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 03/01/05 at 21:55:32

Which means you can have the bags further forward than if you were to carry a passenger -- meaning you can carry larger bags without relocating lights.  This is good -- you keep your carried weight low and more centered.

You have the measurments of the bags you are considering.  You have a photo of the slant.  May I suggest making a mock-up saddle bag of the same size and shape from cardboard and duct tape -- and tape to the bike to get an idea of how the real bags would fit and look?

I figure the Savage is like the air-cooled VW Beetle -- it looks good no matter what you do to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 03/02/05 at 07:25:42

Kadge wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
...I know people here have the Willie & Max Compact Slant saddlebags -- but I was wondering if anyone has the Deluxe Slant bags (as opposed to the Compact), or if they'd even fit?.... 

I have these. They fit just fine:

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Michael

Reply #7 - 03/02/05 at 12:51:46

Karen.

I e-mailed you a pic of my saddlebags.....They are just slung over the seat in the picture......I now have them mounted, and they look much better...when the bike comes out for springtime, I shall snap more photos. Hope the picture gives you a better idea of what large bags will look like on your Savage.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Karen

Reply #8 - 03/02/05 at 18:32:09

Susan -- I've seen your saddlebags before.  (Yes, I've been lurking for a while.   Smiley )  

It's funny -- I remembered that picture, but couldn't remember if you had the Compact Slant (the SB707), or if you had the other ones (the SB700 -- Deluxe? Standard?  Regular?  I've seen a few names for it.  Non-compact, anyway).  So I did a search here the other day trying to find that picture and the post that contained it, and for some reason it didn't come up (probably something I did wrong).   Thanks so much for posting it again.

Michael: thanks so much for the e-mail -- it's a big help in visualizing.  You're right -- your saddlebags do look big, but good.  No problem with them hitting the turn signals, then?

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #9 - 03/02/05 at 20:10:52

Karen...

I have them backed up to the turn signals.....They kind of tuck right under, with no problem whatsoever...It also makes the turn signals show up better, i think, being on a black background.

cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 03/03/05 at 05:57:21

Hi Karen! Mine are the Deluxe Compact Slant. I looked up the invoice to be sure.  Smiley

P.S. One quick way to see pics is to look at the Posters Picture Gallery that is at the top of the Rubber Side Down forum. Not all the pics posted in the forums are there but quite a few of them are.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 15:14:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag measurement question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!