Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
buying new (to me) savage today! (Read 17 times)
erik
Ex Member

buying new (to me) savage today!
02/28/05 at 04:40:05

Hi all, am pretty excited about buying a Savage later today.  Not to bore you with details, but we bought the wife a new 2003 Vstar 650 last spring as her first bike.  Well, she road it all of about 300 miles all year, due mostly to the weight and size of the Vstar.  My bike is a custom Honda Valkyrie, and I was unimpressed by the Vstar's power and handling.
Anyway, we decided to find a used Savage because it is smaller, lighter and quicker and will sell the Vstar in about a month (sure hope we don't take too bad a bath).  
I found a '98 with 4,400 miles in fantastic condition for $1,800.  It has saddlebags and a backrest, has never been down and runs perfect - the only problem is there is an oil leak around the front of the engine - I think it is the oil cap/plug that I have been reading about.  I looked at 4 savages before buying this one, and ALL of them leaked at the front of the engine -  pretty weird this problem is so prevalent.
I will probably be back on the board soon with questions about replacing the plug, but I'm not too concerned about it.
Anyway, I am looking forward to riding this bike - the power and handling were way beyond expectations on my test rides, and I think it will be a much better learning bike for the wife, just wish we hadn't wasted a year (and money) on the Vstar first.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: buying new (to me) savage today!
Reply #1 - 02/28/05 at 04:46:57

The post about the leak you refering to:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
Be prepared

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/05 at 04:53:00

Yeah I saw that, looks like a whole lot of bolts.  Oh well, for the price I'm paying for the bike I can deal with the job.  Maybe I'll make it next winter's project - wonder if the leak will get worse as we ride it?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/28/05 at 05:41:52

From what I've seen the leak starts out as irritating but only progresses to obnoxious and stays that way.  It is pretty much just a gravity leak of oil anyway.  No pressure.

IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/28/05 at 06:00:28

Does it leak just sitting there then or does it leak only when running?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 02/28/05 at 07:00:29

The oil is going out only when engine is running, but the acumulated on the cylinder oil  will drip after You park it. Sooner or latter Y The price of the rubber plug You will get sick of it and You will have to take care of the problem. The price of the plug is approx.  $7.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/28/05 at 07:33:47

Thanks.  You don't happen to have a Suzuki part number handy, do you?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 03/01/05 at 02:48:30

For a breakdown of parts (  the Illustrated Parts Catalog) go to

www.ronayers.com

for the microfiches

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 03/01/05 at 17:53:15

do you happen to know what part number you ordered for them?
thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 03/01/05 at 18:27:02

Well, how about that?  It seems I jumped the gun a bit.  It looks a bit different now that I took it out of the plastic bag (and no, the bag isn't clear; it's more like wax paper).  The plug is pretty darn solid and I guess it could be rubber but it's pretty hard for rubber - almost plastic.  I'm pretty sure this is the right part though.  The part number is 11145-41B01.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
erik
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/01/05 at 18:35:13

Thanks, but THANK GOD I DONT NEED IT!  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/01/05 at 18:42:44

If your Savage is a '98 and the plug hasn't been fixed yet, you will.  When I got my '98 with 1640 miles on it, I thought I got out lucky on the plug thing.... nope, it just took a little time and mileage.  It's not a horrible leak.  It's just annoying enough that I want to fix it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 03/01/05 at 19:20:51

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Well, how about that?  It seems I jumped the gun a bit.  It looks a bit different now that I took it out of the plastic bag (and no, the bag isn't clear; it's more like wax paper).  The plug is pretty darn solid and I guess it could be rubber but it's pretty hard for rubber - almost plastic.  I'm pretty sure this is the right part though.  The part number is 11145-41B01.

that was sure one of three part numbers - looks like the new one is 11145-37401 - but Slavy believes the old ones will cross to it - unless the dealer just happen to have an older one I'd think - speaking of that I called every dealer in and around town - none had this plug in stock - and one - a rather large famous place - said so far as he could tell had never had it in inventory - guess all these dealers just pop the old back in all the time....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 03/02/05 at 05:55:19

Not that it necessarily follows but the part number I wound up with is a higher one.  Would it likely be the newer one then also?

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 03/02/05 at 06:20:42

Look like a cup with a ridge on top or more like a mushroom? - the new one seems to look like the later

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:33:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › buying new (to me) savage today!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.