Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Owner's Manual (Read 2 times)
dadorfman
Ex Member

Owner's Manual
02/21/05 at 13:46:12

My stepson shipped us his '87 Savage.  Where does one go for an owner's manual?  Couldn't find anything on Google.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: Owner's Manual
Reply #1 - 02/21/05 at 13:48:05

Welcome,  Search for Clymer's.  They're about $20 US.

They are on eBay all the time.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 02/21/05 at 13:52:46

You can either get the Suzuki shop manual (loose-leaf notebook style, I've heard) or Amazon.com has the Clymer's manual for about $23 or $24 (so don't pay more on eBay accidentally).  The shop manual is, of course, the most detailed but the Clymer's is pretty good for most maintenance and is small enough (maybe a half-inch thick paperback) that it'll easily fit in a saddlebag or such.  I bought the Clymer's figuring I'd get the other if I ever needed it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/05 at 14:46:19

I did a search on-line through Yahoo and found "The Motor Bookstore" $20.97 US dollars. Total with shipping USA priority was $27.92. I received it the second day.
It is the Clymer version of the manual. Please note, the spark plug socket size listed in the manual was wrong. It says 17MM but it turns out, at least for my 2001 Savage, that it should be an 18MM. Other than that, the Clymer's manual seem's okay.

Enjoy the bike it's been fun for me Grin

IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/05 at 18:44:12

My stepson is sending me a well-worn Clymer's, but that is a repair manual.  I was hoping to find an owner's manual issued by Suzuki designed to tell the owner how to operate the bike.  Since the bike lacks a tach, I am especially interested in things like the speeds at which they recommend shifting gears.  In the MSF course, the continually referred to the MOM, and the MOMs for my two Hondas have lots of useful information.  I want to use the Clymer just so I have some idea of what the mechanic is saying to me.

David

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/23/05 at 05:16:46

I see them on eBay from time to time but it looks like there are two models for 1987... the F and the P.  You'll probably want to determine which you have first, though I'm not sure what the difference is.  I was under the impression that the 86 and 87 were both 4-speeds and the later models were 5-speeds but I guess it's possible that's the difference.  I believe there were differences in carb jetting in the early models too.  Does anyone know for sure what the differences between those models are?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 02/23/05 at 17:47:39

F= Flat bars P = Pull back bars. Re. the owners manual, if they have a motorcycle salvage yard in your area, they usally have tubs of MOM's to look through, any year will do. Or try books4bikes in (near) Seattle Wa. Otherwise the Clymer covers most things nicely except for the engine speeds, we believe the engine has an RPM limiter in the ignition module but most don't wind it to the peg in each gear anyway. The power drops off pretty fast the last 1000 RPM acccording to the dyno charts I've seen. Shift where it sounds like it is happiest Cheesy

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 02/24/05 at 00:35:53

I know I've said this before but has anybody found the rev limiter and at what revs / speed in what gear ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 02/24/05 at 15:32:16

I picked up an owners manual for my '02 at the local stealership for about $13.00. The part # is 99011-24C57-03A. Had to order it, took about a week to get it in. Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
dadorfman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/24/05 at 16:02:55

Thanks.  I'll try the dealer.  Have there been many changes to the Savage since '87?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 02/24/05 at 16:49:48

The only major change is a 5 speed transmission and going from drag style handle bars to buckhorn style. The dealership might still be able to get a manual for the four speed, can't hurt to ask.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #11 - 02/26/05 at 10:26:20

OWNERS MANUAL - AS IN THE LITTLE BOOKLET THAT COMES WITH THE NEW BIKE FROM THE DEALER ---I PURCHASED A USED SAVAGE - NO BOOK, TOOLS, ETC....I GOT OWNER'S MANUAL FROM MY LOCAL SUZUKI DEALERSHIP AT THE PARTS COUNTER - $8.00 - TOOK 4 DAYS TO COME IN.
MARTY

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 02/26/05 at 10:33:36

that's it, only my stealership charged $13.00 for it.  Angry
Ride Safe

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 03/02/05 at 07:06:26

dadorfman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Thanks.  I'll try the dealer.  Have there been many changes to the Savage since '87?

See this topic for a complete listing:
Savage Parts that have changed '86 to '05

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 15:35:43