Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
load capacity (Read 22 times)
MarkD1960
Ex Member

load capacity
02/15/05 at 13:35:08

How many of you out there would ride two-up with both of you being 200 lbs.?  Do you think the bike will handle it?  Would I bottom out the suspension?  I'm deciding whether or not a Savage is big enough before I go out and buy one.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: load capacity
Reply #1 - 02/15/05 at 14:30:56

Well, I think you could do it but I don't think the Savage is the best bike if you are planning lots of 2-up riding with 2 200 lb people. The Savage is a smaller, lighter bike and probably wouldn't be as comfortable for lots of 2-up riding as a larger bike would be. Most of our riders are predominantly solo riders. The bike only weighs 352 lbs.

Because of the Savage's size the passenger seat/area is quite small and feels like you are riding on a board. I think it is ok for an occasional ride but I wouldn't want to ride on it as a passenger frequently.  

Don't get me wrong, the Savage is a great bike for lots of things and I love mine but it seems like another bike might be better suited if you are planning lots of 2-up riding. Good luck!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 02/15/05 at 15:05:08

i concur with susan.

my wife hated the rear pillon so much, she boldly proclaimed "i'm never riding on that seat".  so  i bobbed the rear. it's a solo machine now

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
MarkD1960
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/05 at 15:14:07

So, you think the bike would handle it occasionally?  I'm really going to commute with it, mainly.  The people on this board love theirs so much, I just can't discount it.  

How do you feel about highways with 75-MPH speed limits on windy days?  Would you feel confident?  Not freeways with a lot of traffic, just open highway.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #4 - 02/15/05 at 15:30:19

The rear pillion on the Savage are like the back seats in an MG.  

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 02/15/05 at 17:25:53

MarkD1960 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
So, you think the bike would handle it occasionally?  I'm really going to commute with it, mainly.  The people on this board love theirs so much, I just can't discount it.  

How do you feel about highways with 75-MPH speed limits on windy days?  Would you feel confident?  Not freeways with a lot of traffic, just open highway.  

occasional two up would be fine, like i said the seat is not that comfortable, or so my  better half says.

i run at 75- 80 all the time with no problems, and have done it two up. but not any longer.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 02/16/05 at 05:03:25

Just looking at that pillion seat makes my tushie hurt.  If you go with the Savage and you really love your wife..... at least get her a gel pad or something.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 02/16/05 at 05:58:21

I don't have any difficulty with 75 MPH on the freeway though I prefer 65.  I'm not sure what you consider "windy" but the Savage/S40 is a very lightweight bike and you will feel crosswinds far easier than with a heavier one.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MarkD1960
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/17/05 at 08:02:58

I consider "windy" to be 20-30 mph.  The winds here get much worse, but common sense takes over at a certain point.  

I know some of these questions sound dumb, but I'm trying to avoid hitting that point where you get the itch to buy a new bike because you've "outgrown" the capabilities of your machine.  If I wasn't worried about that, I'd just get a brand-new GZ 250 or equivalent.  On the other end, my 750 Interceptor was more bike than I would ever use.  That thing could just make you wet yourself.  I don't need that much any more.

Almost all my riding will be single.  This will be my commuter bike.  Something inside me, though, won't let me consider anything that's not at least as quick as my car.  I love the idea of the Savage, in part because it's different.  My other option at this point is to go for a Yamaha Virago.  With a 750 or 1100, power wouldn't be an issue, but mileage might not be all that better than with my '04 Cavalier.

As you can see, I don't know what the heck I want.  I guess I want everything.  I want 60 mpg and a macho rush of power in a bike that corners like it's on rails.  

Hey, I read in Motorcycle Cruiser that they got 51 mpg when they tested an S40.  What are you guys getting?  Is that figure high, low, just right?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 02/17/05 at 10:38:23

20-30 MPH winds will definitely be felt on a Savage but are not unmanageable.  I get right at 60 MPG on my Savage but I've rejetted the carb and use a K&N air filter and a MAC muffler.  I'd bet that most folks who've "upgraded" their air filters and mufflers and rejetted the carb get similar mileage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
MarkD1960
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/17/05 at 11:18:27

I'd be interested to know if that's true.  Anybody that reads this, please respond if you get similar mileage with these kinds of mods.  60 MPH would be great.  Do you have to baby it to get that kind of mileage?

IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #11 - 02/17/05 at 11:24:58

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I don't have any difficulty with 75 MPH on the freeway though I prefer 65.  I'm not sure what you consider "windy" but the Savage/S40 is a very lightweight bike and you will feel crosswinds far easier than with a heavier one.

I concur with that statement 100%.
65 - fine
75 - shaky in the wind

I have found that the small flyscreen I just put on does help a lot.  75 is not as bad, but the bike is still 352#.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 02/17/05 at 12:00:06

...If I wasn't worried about that, I'd just get a brand-new GZ 250 or equivalent.
I was that closeto getting the GZ250 when I noticed the specs on the Savage -- nearly the same physical size and only 50 pounds (17%)  heavier.
Quote:
...Something inside me, though, won't let me consider anything that's not at least as quick as my car.
My Savage is (so far) bone stock -- I understand you can get considerable more power with a rejet of the carb and an aftermarket muffler.  That said, the end of my morning commute is a traffic signal at Alondra and Broadway.  The light changes to green, I accelerate through the intersection to the speed limit sign 50 feet or so beyond.  It says 40mph.  I don't know what you drive, my my car is a '72 Camaro 350 LT1.  I can hit 40 mph passing the sign before I have to brake hard for the driveway about 100 yards past the intersection.  The Savage matches that.  On the freeway it will hit 80 too easy, and from what people have been saying about the fork brace I think I want one.
Quote:
...I love the idea of the Savage, in part because it's different..... I want 60 mpg and a macho rush of power in a bike that corners like it's on rails.
I came from the dirt.  I wanted a lightweight bike, 400 pounds absolute max.  I did not want to have to crouch over the tank in a fetal position.  I did not want to have to stand on tippy-toe at the lights.  Which left me with the choice of 250cc cruisers.  Or the Savage. Quote:
Hey, I read in Motorcycle Cruiser that they got 51 mpg when they tested an S40.  What are you guys getting?  Is that figure high, low, just right?
About right; street riding, short runs, fairly aggressive aceleration.  HOW you ride make the biggest difference.  I managed to get 30mpg from a Honda sport 50.  Cruising the 2-lane backroads from L.A. to Seatle at a leisurely 45-50mph I hit over 80mpg on my GS450E

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/17/05 at 12:00:42

i have the flyscreen and a full windshield.  The bike had a National Cycle windshield on it when I bought it and I got the flyscreen on eBay for a good price.  I just decided to wait for warmer weather before changing it out.  I've never ridden the bike without the shield, so I can't say what the difference would be.  I was speaking only of crosswinds.  I haven't encountered any problems with headwinds or tailwinds yet.  I will say that while my trunk is generally more aerodynamic than saddlebags, it does enhance the feel of crosswinds more than the saddlebags, though not to a great extent.

MarkD1960
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/17/05 at 13:15:37

So, what I'm hearing you say, Paladin, is that the bike is quick Grin

That would be the most important thing in town; as far as top end, I can't imagine wanting to go more than 80 very often.  The test I read says that in 200-yard accel from 50 mph in top gear, the Savage (S40) is running very close to, say, a Kawasaki Vulcan 800.  So why do some people feel they need more passing power?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 17:23:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › load capacity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.