Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
high altitude questions (Read 2 times)
mooper
Ex Member

high altitude questions
02/12/05 at 09:30:38

Hi,

I just joined after reading posts last night and this morning. I'm currently bikeless.  I haven't had a bike for about 15 years.  My last ride was an '83 V45 Interceptor, but before that I had an XT 550 so I have ridden a big single.  I'm really intrigued with the Savage/S40, and am considering one this spring.  Can you help me decide?  I have questions.

We live in Sierra Vista, AZ.  Altitude is roughtly 5K feet.  Will i have the same carburetor problems that other people have, or will the altitude negate them?  Also, since my thumper experience is an XT, what difference in performance can i expect?  My XT was an '83 model as I recall.

If I have backfiring problems, what would I do differently than those of you who live at or near sea level?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: high altitude questions
Reply #1 - 02/12/05 at 09:49:25

mooper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Hi,

I just joined after reading posts last night and this morning. I'm currently bikeless.  I haven't had a bike for about 15 years.  My last ride was an '83 V45 Interceptor, but before that I had an XT 550 so I have ridden a big single.  I'm really intrigued with the Savage/S40, and am considering one this spring.  Can you help me decide?  I have questions.

We live in Sierra Vista, AZ.  Altitude is roughtly 5K feet.  Will i have the same carburetor problems that other people have, or will the altitude negate them?  Also, since my thumper experience is an XT, what difference in performance can i expect?  My XT was an '83 model as I recall.

If I have backfiring problems, what would I do differently than those of you who live at or near sea level?

Seems to me that the dealer will setup your S40 for the altitude where you are, but if nothing else, I've ridden at higher altitudes on mine with no troubles.

Comparing the S40 to an XT is like apples and oranges.  I have ridden an XT, and the gearing and handling is a lot different.  The Savage is not setup to be the stump puller that the XT is.  The S40 gearing is higher and the compression is lower, but the engine is smoother.

Aside from that, I'm sure that everyone else in this group will agree that you should not get a Savage.  It is just way too much fun.

IP Logged
mooper
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/05 at 10:22:10

Well, I know myself, and I will want to tinker.  I'll want to get the best perfofmance I can out of it with the simplest mods.  I'm a big fan of K&N filters anyway, so I'll have to have one.  Any suggestions about the spacer mod and rejetting because of the altitude?  I'm assuming I would use a different size jet because of where I live.  Where would I look for a Sportster muffler?  I'm assuming a new one would be just as expensive as the Supertrapp.

My friends at work all have Harleys.  If I ride with them, I want to be able to keep up as best as I can.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/12/05 at 14:17:28

Let's start this way- Savage is a nice bike. First thing- get one at a good price.
 Looking at a Sportster muffler is a very good idea. You should be able to get one for free or almost for free from Your HD buddies. You can check the local dealership, because everybody just leaves the original one after changing it. Screaming eagle is better, but more expencive and harder to find.
Everybody is going to 152.5 or 155 main jet. I'd say - You will need 150 /because of the altitude/
Siera Vista is not emissioned area, so You don't have to deal with EPA. I think the altitude will cure the backfireing problems. From this point on everything is trial and eror. If it is me, I'd hold on with the spacer mod. untill I ride the bike.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/13/05 at 09:26:03

Yep, get the bike first.  It will all work itself out later.

Though you have higher altitudes, don't you also have higher temps in the summer?

IP Logged
mooper
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/05 at 10:55:15

Summer temps aren't as bad as you would think.  Average highs in July are low-mid 90's.  Do you think the temp affects the fuel mixture as much as altitude?  In what way?

IP Logged
mrbusdriver
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/13/05 at 11:37:53

I'm in Colorado, about 6700 feet. I bought the bike "almost new" last summer, totally stock, and it has no problems here at altitude. The "over lean" delivered condition (EPA and all) works out at high altitude and kind of "balances out". I haven't taken it to lower altitudes yet, I suspect I may see some issues if I do...
Good Luck,
Dave

IP Logged
raytoews
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/13/05 at 12:07:40

The savage like many bikes has a pressure carb.
If you look at the big round chunk at the top it houses a diaphragm which is connected to the needle jet going down into the centre of the carb. This diaphragm is not connected to your hand but is operated by air pressure (vacumn) and automatically adjusts the mixture (how far the needle rises)  for air pressure such as higher alltitude.
Ray

IP Logged
raytoews
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/13/05 at 12:16:43

Follow up, we went thru Sierra Vista in January, we rented a Harley from Blue Sky in Phoenix and went for a drive. It was my wifes first time and she had a great time. We came up thru Nogales and took a back road thru Elgin and got lost on a great twisty  road that eventually took us to the back gate of the base. Nice country we liked it so much we are coming back in March and going up to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

Ray

IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 02/15/05 at 07:51:33

mooper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
My friends at work all have Harleys.  If I ride with them, I want to be able to keep up as best as I can.

Everybody that I ride with has a Harley.  The only times that I can't keep up are in situations where my lack of riding experience slows me down.

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › high altitude questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.