Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
service manual for s40 (Read 19 times)
Jack P. Starrantino
Ex Member

service manual for s40
02/04/05 at 12:13:51

I'm considering buying a s40. I ordered a service manual from my local dealer so that I could read up on the care and feeding of the bike.

What I got was a book titled "Suzuki LS650 Service Manual", 10th edition, March 2004, part number 99500-36085-03E. The manual has information up to the LS650K4 model.

When I questioned the parts guy I was told that this is the most recent manual for the Savage/S40.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does Suzuki publish updates, and if so, how does one find out about them?

Many thanks.

jps

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: service manual for s40
Reply #1 - 02/04/05 at 14:14:36

The K4 designation would be the 2004 model but I don't know whether any changes have been made to the 2005.  I doubt it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 02/04/05 at 14:44:50

Unless they have changed formats, my manual has the 80's bikes in the first section, then a section starting with the 95 MY and goes into detail on the 5 sp. trans versions, then there are appendixes for the 96, 97, 98, 99 MY. Seems like the rear fender rails, lack of sissy bar, and bar design are the big differences in the S-40 over the LS650 plus whatever changes they made in the carburetor jetting to meet current standards.  Manual will work for everything one would want to do.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 02/05/05 at 00:37:51

Look at this topic for a detailed list of what has changed from the '04 to the '05: Savage Parts that have changed '86 -- '05.

As Max said, the changes are mostly cosmetic.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/06/05 at 15:02:12

My dealer tried for 3 months to get one for me and for their shop, they were finally told there would be none for this year.

Almost everything on the bike is very simple, don't be afraid to buy one and then ask questions here until a manual comes out.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 02/06/05 at 19:20:11

The aftermarket Clymer manual will also work well and has some tips that are not in the OEM manual. Some less detail as to specific parts #s (like carb jets) but 1/2 the price and usually available at a discount on e-bay, or the other books places on the net. Be careful to get the version that goes through 2002, there as some out there that only cover the 4 spd mid 80's model, but if they are cheap enough, still will work unless you have to fix the transmission. Also chck your local used book store, goodwill, salvation army store for a great buy on one. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 02/06/05 at 19:52:38

Listen,
The First thing is the bike. For so many years the bike stied almost the same.  If You need something from the stealer- You just order for the right year.You need the manual to check some info- it is the same for all 5 speed  models and the same for all the 4 speed models /if they are made for the same country/. You need some upgrade info- You check the Savage sites.
Most of the stuff is just a common sense.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/11/05 at 09:55:52

Jack P. Starrantino wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'm considering buying a s40. I ordered a service manual from my local dealer so that I could read up on the care and feeding of the bike.

What I got was a book titled "Suzuki LS650 Service Manual", 10th edition, March 2004, part number 99500-36085-03E. The manual has information up to the LS650K4 model.

When I questioned the parts guy I was told that this is the most recent manual for the Savage/S40.

Can anyone confirm this?

Does Suzuki publish updates, and if so, how does one find out about them?

Many thanks.

jps

With the exception of the decals, tank logo, and other cosmetic differences, your "Savage40" is the same as a 2004.  I have the same manual, only updated to 1999.  My bike is a 2000 and matches perfectly.

Didn't the 2004 have the emergency flasher system too?  If so, that electrical change should be shown in the manual and apply to your 2005 as well.  Compare your electrical schematic to the one that I posted in the Technical Corner.  If fact you should have that one plus a new one.

I don't believe that you got ripped off or anything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:29:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › service manual for s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.