Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve adjustments (Read 3 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

Valve adjustments
02/07/05 at 10:13:12

How often have all of you adjusted the valves and any internal components on your bikes?  I read in the Clymer's guide that at 7500 miles, the vavles should be checked and adjusted.  I haven't done this, and the bike runs fine.  Do I still need to get this done right away?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Valve adjustments
Reply #1 - 02/07/05 at 14:02:30

If the bike is running good- not a biggie.
The Savage has screw and lock nut kind of adjustment of the valves and  99% of the times this set up tends to get loose with the miles, which meens -noisy. This is just an inconviniense. You will not dammage anything. Usually the bikes that have a real problem with misadjusted valves are the bikes with shim and bucket tipe of adjustment. Their  valves tend to get tight with the wear and You might end up with burned valve.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Valve adjustments
Reply #2 - 02/11/05 at 09:45:36

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
How often have all of you adjusted the valves and any internal components on your bikes?  I read in the Clymer's guide that at 7500 miles, the vavles should be checked and adjusted.  I haven't done this, and the bike runs fine.  Do I still need to get this done right away?

The valves are not too critical, but it is always the best bet to follow the schedule in a manual.  If it has never been done to this bike, I'd check them.   Look at it this way, sometimes when doing scheduled maintenance on one item, you'll run into something else that really does need attention anyway.

Besides, what else are you gonna do on a lousy riding day?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve adjustments

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.