PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Plug removal
Reply #16 - 02/13/05 at 05:40:18

I've read that the frame tolerances are different on some LS650's which prohibits removal of the gas tank without first removing the petkock ... I suspect mine is one of those, 'cause there's no way I can get the tank off without removing it ... believe me I've tried ... even put silicone lubricant on the rubber "puck" bushings too ...
Anyone else ever hear 'bout the frame tolerances being different on some Savage's ... any truth to it?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #17 - 02/13/05 at 06:21:54

Yeppers.  Common knowledge here and at Heise.

Mine allows me to remove it with a struggle but there seems no way it's going back on w/o removing the petrooster.

My guess is that the folks who work in the Savage factory are new hires in training.

Or else they've got a guy who been doing frames so long he just eyeballs them.

Triumph had a similar but more critical issue albout 35 years ago.  Seems some critical engine part was made by one guy who had done just that part for about 20 years.  One day he died.  Now he made his parts on a lathe that was out of spec, but he knew how much and compensated.  No one else knew.  His replacement pulled out the book, adjusted the lathe to what the book said and started making parts.  Triumphs shortly after became known for their engine problems right at a time the Japanese bike were coming into their own.  The old Triumph company began a sales decline that they never recovered from.  I read that in a Cycle mag article about 1979.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #18 - 02/13/05 at 07:38:36

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
...Triumph had a similar but more critical issue albout 35 years ago.  Seems some critical engine part was made by one guy who had done just that part for about 20 years.  One day he died.  Now he made his parts on a lathe that was out of spec, but he knew how much and compensated.  No one else knew.  His replacement pulled out the book, adjusted the lathe to what the book said and started making parts.  Triumphs shortly after became known for their engine problems right at a time the Japanese bike were coming into their own.  The old Triumph company began a sales decline that they never recovered from.  I read that in a Cycle mag article about 1979.

That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 02/13/05 at 08:28:30

SavageRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Here is a question about the spark plug removal procedure maybe, someone knows about. I'm trying to remove the spark plug on my 2001 Savage and the manual calls for a 17MM wrench. I have a 17MM deep socket but it doesn't fit. Have they changed this? I also tried several non metric plug sockets and none of those fit either. I have the seat and tank off as well as the chrome piece. I'm trying to check the plug condition for my other problem I posted earlier, about carb. issues. Several good recomendations were made that I'm trying to follow up on. One of those was to check the plug condition.

Thanks

I think that the real problem isn't the deep socket size, but more likely it is the wall thickness of the socket.  There isn't a lot of clearance around the plug, and if you'll notice (those that have one), the plug socket in the toolkit is much thinner walled.

Since it is hard to see down in the hole, you can't tell that you aren't going deep enough to grip the hex on the plug with a standard socket.  So it seems to be the wrong size.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 02/13/05 at 08:51:09

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I've read that the frame tolerances are different on some LS650's which prohibits removal of the gas tank without first removing the petkock ... I suspect mine is one of those, 'cause there's no way I can get the tank off without removing it ... believe me I've tried ... even put silicone lubricant on the rubber "puck" bushings too ...
Anyone else ever hear 'bout the frame tolerances being different on some Savage's ... any truth to it?

For myself,  I find that hard to believe since most production welding is done in weldment fixtures and variations to the frame backbone could cause all kinds of other little glitches like wheel misalignment, handling issues, or even frame flex.  And granted, frame variations would be a good reason for petc0ck interference too, but the Japanese have become masters of mass production...as Gitarzan mentions with the decline of Triumph, below.  

Maybe it's time to clear up the issue....here and on other forums.  How about people start measuring the frame across the place where the petc0ck makes contact?  My tank is due to come off real soon (maybe today) and I'll do the same.  Maybe it would be good to include the year of the bike, too.

I'm betting that it would take differences of 1/4" or more to cause this problem, and I find that hard to believe.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #21 - 02/13/05 at 12:36:41

I agree with Greg on this one. I can't believe  the frame has different variances in a paticular year. My thought is the frame jig was designed for year 1986 and never changed. Production shouldn't allow for 1/4in. tolerance errors. You are probably correct in conducting a poll to determine if specific model years have problems for owners removing their gas tanks. Maybe the frame is not the problem, but more likely the placement of the petthingy on the fuel tank. Once the tank is made the placement holes are drilled and tapped and this leaves a more likely culprit for error. I measured the space between the petthingy mount and the tank seam and found a distance of 1/16in. I have a 1986 model with no tank removal issues. Perhaps on problem models these mounting holes are closer to midline moving the petthingy closer to the frame and therefore creating a greater (less desired) distance than 1/16in. How about including this measurement in the poll as well?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #22 - 02/13/05 at 21:33:17

good point, bentwheel, tank production much more likely to have variations than frame.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #23 - 02/14/05 at 00:32:12

A possible variation in the placment of the petkock from model to model sounds like the logical culprit now that you mention it ... next time I pull my tank I'm gonna take a few measurements!
Smart bunch we got around here!! 8)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 02/15/05 at 05:29:26

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I agree with Greg on this one. I can't believe  the frame has different variances in a paticular year. My thought is the frame jig was designed for year 1986 and never changed. Production shouldn't allow for 1/4in. tolerance errors. You are probably correct in conducting a poll to determine if specific model years have problems for owners removing their gas tanks. Maybe the frame is not the problem, but more likely the placement of the petthingy on the fuel tank. Once the tank is made the placement holes are drilled and tapped and this leaves a more likely culprit for error. I measured the space between the petthingy mount and the tank seam and found a distance of 1/16in. I have a 1986 model with no tank removal issues. Perhaps on problem models these mounting holes are closer to midline moving the petthingy closer to the frame and therefore creating a greater (less desired) distance than 1/16in. How about including this measurement in the poll as well?

Good point.  All the discussion about frames ignores the possibility of tank variations.  Maybe even the front tank mounts are different and require it to be picked up higher before sliding backwards.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #25 - 02/15/05 at 15:00:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
...Maybe it's time to clear up the issue....here and on other forums.  How about people start measuring the frame across the place where the petc0ck makes contact?  My tank is due to come off real soon (maybe today) and I'll do the same.  Maybe it would be good to include the year of the bike, too...

Anything else we should measure, while we are at it?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #26 - 02/15/05 at 23:37:06

I agree, the jig will not change but the shift will.
I've been in assembly plants over the past two decades and I have seen things like this from one shift to another happen. Then throw in different suppliers and things can "stack up" in unsuspected ways.
In the plant it's not about taking them apart, but slamming them together fast!
When I start getting over-anal, I remind myself that the guy or machine that did it the 1st time had 60 seconds or less to complete the task.

I have been putting off pulling the tank, but will keep this in mind & let you know what I see.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 02/16/05 at 05:20:03

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Anything else we should measure, while we are at it?

I dunno.  Just an idea to find the reason that some have a difficulty with removing the tank.  

It is interesting considering that the clearance is close enough for the petc0ck to scratch the paint during the process even on bikes where the tank removes easily.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #28 - 02/16/05 at 05:33:39

Another thing,  perhaps there is a slight variance in petcox.  There may be two sources, one slightly larger.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 02/26/05 at 06:23:50

Okay...how about this?

This is my spouse's '01 Savage.  Because of the shooting angle it doesn't look it, but the frame measures 14 CM (140 MM) across at the point where the petcock scracthes the frame (upper edge of scale)...a little over 5 1/2 inches.

Also, I wondered if all petcocks are the same.  Here is the back of the petc0ck...

And obviously, I was able to raise the tank without removing the petc0ck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 05:31:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.