Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Plug removal (Read 15 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

Plug removal
02/01/05 at 08:52:29

To pull the plug, I know I am going to have to remove the chrome head covers. Does anyone know offhand If I am going to have to pull the tank to do that?

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Plug removal
Reply #1 - 02/01/05 at 09:02:59

There is suppose to be a trick of leaving the front of the left chrome head cover undone (use a shorter bolt that doesn't go through the chrome cover).  Then you can just pull it out pivoting on the back bolt.  Supposedly, you can then get to the spark plug (if that's the plug you are talking about!).  But to get the trick to work, the gas tank would have to be removed at least once.  And since I have never used that trick, I'm not sure if it would work.

WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/05 at 11:10:53

Hey thanks for the snappy reply  Smiley Yeah, I meant to say spark plug! Do you know if there are any adverse affects to driving around without those cosmetic chrome covers on the head? There is no reason why you should have to remove a gas tank to get to your spark plug. I think they will be going bye bye.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/02/05 at 19:23:38

Somebody in  the other forum gave a different idea.
The first time You have to remove the gas tank. Two bolts hold the left chrome cover. You remove the rear one and make the cover like a door. When You want to get to the plug You just loosen the nut on top of the front bolt and pivot the cover. The only thing is - make sure You tighten the nut good when You are done.
 I never tried this, but it is worthed to try.
About the covers- just looks.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 02/03/05 at 08:55:52

Jon D. of Rochester N.Y. attests on his LS650 website, to the viability of the "plug access" created by using only one bolt in order to "hinge" the left chrome top cover ... he even provides direstions on how to go about it. Haven't tried it myself though. Those covers are purely cosmetic, as I've seen plenty of pics on the web of Savage's with those covers removed ... so go ahead if you're so inclined!
I have checked my plug twice in since buying my Savage ... and never have I been able to remove my gas tank without first draining all of the fuel and then removing the petkock altogether ... the petkock will not clear the frame no matter how I twist and turn the tank ... but with the fuel tap removed, it comes off easily.
The inaccessible location of the Savage's single plug is may main pet peeve with this motorcycle ... one would thing that the engineers would've designed a head with a more accessible spark plug location ... Roll Eyes

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/05 at 16:55:37

Being in the cold weather, I like access to the plug. Any time the battery is cranking slow or she floods out, a shot of ether right to the plug will do the trick. And to mention that I am always driving sh*tbox bikes that never start.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/05 at 13:27:02

With the tank in position and without the chrome head covers, there is still minimal clearance to get at the plug. It would be more of a chore to try and get a wrench in there than to remove the darn tank. So I put it all back together the way it is suppose to go. F*** it! I guess I'll become an expert at pulling the tank. And just to mention that pulling the tank scratches the hell out of the frame with the petcock.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 02/07/05 at 13:55:37

Yeah, You are right.
It takes PHD in engineering to take the gas tank without dammages to the frame. I don't know why Suzuki never did anything about this.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 02/07/05 at 14:19:12

Yeah, put some electrical tape on that part of the frame.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/05 at 14:34:29

I thought about covering it with tape or somehting but once the tank is back on, you can't even notice it. Out of sight, out of mind! Right fellas  Grin

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #10 - 02/09/05 at 10:03:10

i use the "plug access door" method..works for me.
but as stated the tank as to be removed at least once,
and reading all the past posts on this and other forums i must be one of the lucky ones cus i have no problems removing it.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 02/09/05 at 15:40:48

I agree that it is weird how some tanks are so hard to remove, yet others, my '86 included slip off with no problem.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/10/05 at 05:27:19

The tank will come off of any Savage, w/o removing the petc0ck.  The rubber bushings are just snug and make it hard.  One trick to remove the tank easily requires removing the tank once, and upon reassembly just put a little bit of Vaseline on the rubber bushings.  From then on it will be much easier.  And, yes it is tight and will scratch the frame, but you just have to push the tank up and slightly to the left to get it off.

As for the plug...it is a PITA to reach, but why do you need to have such easy access?  I'm running a 3 year old plug in mine and have never had to remove it for anything other than an inspection...I mean, I've never had any troubles that related to the plug.  It is pretty low maintenance.

The Suzuki engineers were a little short sighted on the chrome covers though.  The left cover has that upside-down bolt that requires the cover to be raised up to remove.  Just another little quirk about the Savage.  However, if you ever remove the head cover, then you can actually turn the bolt upside down with the nut on the bottom....I wonder if the cover could be slotted to remove the cover from the side off the bolt.  Hmmmm.
Smiley

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 02/10/05 at 08:19:54

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I agree that it is weird how some tanks are so hard to remove, yet others, my '86 included slip off with no problem.

I've often thought the same thing. My 2004 tank slides right off...

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
SavageRider
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/12/05 at 18:35:44

Here is a question about the spark plug removal procedure maybe, someone knows about. I'm trying to remove the spark plug on my 2001 Savage and the manual calls for a 17MM wrench. I have a 17MM deep socket but it doesn't fit. Have they changed this? I also tried several non metric plug sockets and none of those fit either. I have the seat and tank off as well as the chrome piece. I'm trying to check the plug condition for my other problem I posted earlier, about carb. issues. Several good recomendations were made that I'm trying to follow up on. One of those was to check the plug condition.

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 06:43:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.