Top end (Read 17 times)
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Top end
Reply #15 - 01/29/05 at 15:13:55

The more I think about it- the more I am mad at myself for not remembering my bitter expirience in a very similar situation.
I went thru everything-ignition, connectors, battery, went thru the carburetor numerous times, tried different needle positions, different main jets, different fuel levels, rode the bike with a gas bottle on my neck to make sure there is a good gas flow.
I can not tell You how frustruated I was. Finaly I asked the owner what does he want for the bike and bought it so I can take it apart and see what is the problem-
1 TOOTH OFF ON THE CAM TIMING- caused by worn-out cam chain and bad chain tentioner.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #16 - 01/30/05 at 08:58:36

Marty, Yup I'm on the other thread with you about the Hartman mod. I'm only a couple of hours from you, check a map of Pennsylvania and find Doylestown, I'm about 20 miles north along the river. we seem to share the same weather good or bad. Stay warm, Ride safe

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #17 - 02/01/05 at 19:05:51

No tach yet, but the title "Top End" caught my eye.  I have read several posts on this site of folks barely making 85 mph on their Savage.  Maybe it's the Texas air or my empty head, but riding double, my wife and I both on the Savage, we hit 85 sitting straight up on the highway and would go even faster if the clutch wasn't slipping when I opened the throttle all the way.  Niether one of us are what you'd call "small".  Did I just get lucky?  (I mean the bike speed - I know I lucked out with the wife)

It's certainly light feeling over 80 mph and I don't do it often; but my point is it has no problem making more speed than I want even with the slippy clutch.

I have a stock pipe with the rear baffle removed (hacked out and cleaned up with a die grinder), a 155 main jet, and Greg's half-spacer on the needle.  Just thinking about letting off the gas at 85 gets a quick "boom" backfire.  I just repainted the bike (BLACK), and clutch plates are next.  Any good recommendations on where to get the plates & springs & side cover gasket?

I'm new to bikes but been wrenching old cars forever.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #18 - 02/01/05 at 19:33:41

I do 85 all the time on the way to work (during riding months, that is...)

Probably more...

There's a really great, almost always empty interstate interchange that I hit and can really slice the curve up nicely.  It's shaped like a question mark, a big round curve with a squiggle at the end. It empties into the inside lane of another interstate that doesn't get congested enough to slow down since it's outbound from downtown.  The cages are usually doing about 75.

I prefer to hit that a little faster than they are, since I need to cut over 4 lanes before the next exit, and since they are going to work, they usually aren't too generous.  I've looked down to see 85 on the speedo before I begin to merge and have gone a little faster but by that time, I've other things to keep an eye on.  

By the time I pull in the parking lot, I'm more awake than 4 cups of coffee.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:36:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.