Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Electrical. (Read 9 times)
Nightrain
Ex Member

Savage Electrical.
02/01/05 at 15:04:35

I have a technical issue.  ??? I was told somwhere that if the savage battery is dead and you jump it with a car, the bike will still not start. Although it may crank enough to turn the starter, if that battery is not putting out at least 10 volts, then the ignition will not fire the plug. I was always of the school of thought that you only need the battery to turn the starter and then the generator/alternator does the rest. any facts, commentary, or opinions on this?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Savage Electrical.
Reply #1 - 02/01/05 at 16:06:18

Whoever told that is wrong. You should be able to start the bike with a jumper battery.
If You disconnect the jumper the bike might or might nor keep running, depending on the battery condition. If the battery is just discharged and weak- no problem. The alternator will charge it up. If there is brocken bridge between the cells inside- The bike might keep working, but it will be like c**p or might just die.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Savage Electrical.
Reply #2 - 02/01/05 at 16:39:21

When I got my bike the battery was mostly dead.  It would crank weakly and if I didn't start within about ten two-second attempts I would have to jump start from an exterior power source.  (the external power, of whatever source, would spin a LOT faster than the battery.  I never checked it, but my cranking voltage was likely below 10 vdc.

If you have enough voltage to spin the motor you have enough voltage for the ignition.

At low idle the alternator might not put out enough power for the ignition and the headlight -- with no or totally dead battery the motor would then die.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:34:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Electrical.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.