Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire) (Read 5136 times)
funkspieler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)
Reply #30 - 08/21/17 at 14:20:23

This mod has transformed my wife's 05 Boulevard.  I sanded the white washer with 120 grit until it was roughly half the thickness.  It went from popping several times an hour to popping about once a week, and only when transitioning from uphill to coasting downhill.  Power has also improved noticeably.  I thought this bike was a real dog but now it is a pleasure to ride.  Many thanks to the OP.

IP Logged
BullGary
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/15/17 at 20:38:53

Just did this mod. I found the original spacer was 2.85mm thick, but I had read to grind it in half down to 2.5mm, which doesn't add up. In any case, I took it down to 1.47mm-slightly over 1/2. After running a bit and shutting it off, boy did it give a huge exhaust backfire. I'm hoping that's just from the mixture screw needing fine tuning.

20171015_145807.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 10/16/17 at 02:10:46

The spacer and needle position do not affect the bike at idle.

Open your idle mixture screw a 1/4 turn more.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfi
Reply #33 - 10/16/17 at 07:52:15

LANCER wrote on 10/14/11 at 08:56:42:

**turning the pilot screw OUT will richen the mixture.
------------------------
Huh

Is this confirmed?  Every carb I've ever worked on was the opposite.  Opening the the pilot screw lets more air into the system and leans the idle mixture.

EDIT:  I found a reference and LANCER is correct.

"The pilot circuit has two adjustable parts, fig 2. The pilot air screw and pilot jet. The air screw can be located either near the back side of the carburetor or near the front of the carburetor. If the screw is located near the back, it regulates how much air enters the circuit. If the screw is turned in, it reduces the amount of air and richens the mixture. If it is turned out, it opens the passage more and allows more air into the circuit which results in a lean mixture. If the screw is located near the front, it regulated fuel. The mixture will be leaner if it is screwed in and richer if screwed out. If the air screw has to be turned more than 2 turns out for best idling, the next smaller size pilot jet will be needed."

http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 10/17/17 at 09:55:04

Ohiomoto:

The stock CV carb has an idle fuel mixture screw......turning it in restricts the flow of fuel, turning it out improves the  flow of fuel.

The Mikuni VM carb has an air mixture screw....turning it out allows more air to flow - which reduces the amount of fuel flowing at idle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #35 - 10/17/17 at 10:58:12

Dave wrote on 10/17/17 at 09:55:04:
Ohiomoto:

The stock CV carb has an idle fuel mixture screw......turning it in restricts the flow of fuel, turning it out improves the  flow of fuel.

The Mikuni VM carb has an air mixture screw....turning it out allows more air to flow - which reduces the amount of fuel flowing at idle.
-------------

Yeah, I just learned that yesterday.  Everything I've ever owned (mostly motocross bikes) had a VM carb or similar Keihin.   Even my old Triumph had a VM on it.  Learn something new every day.  Smiley  

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/04/21 at 08:12:08

I figure I have got the carb dialed-in pretty well.  One thing I noticed is when I chop the ignition on a lagging throttle and then re-ignite........BAAMM!  [The little Savage!]

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #37 - 03/15/24 at 10:13:16

I'm dredging up another ancient post....

Confused - doesn't using a thinner washer (or no washer) lower the needle and make it leaner?  Adding a washer under the circlip would raise the needle and make it richer.  

Or is the washer on top of the circlip and under the retaining plate on the stock LS650 carb?  Thus narrowing the gap between the curclip and the plate raises the needle.  It's been a while since I've opened up a stock carb.  So forgive me...

On my Honda, I've added a washer under the circlip to raise the needle and make it leaner.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 03/15/24 at 19:25:35

ThumperPaul wrote on 03/15/24 at 10:13:16:
I'm dredging up another ancient post....

Confused - doesn't using a thinner washer (or no washer) lower the needle and make it leaner?  Adding a washer under the circlip would raise the needle and make it richer.  

Or is the washer on top of the circlip and under the retaining plate on the stock LS650 carb?  Thus narrowing the gap between the curclip and the plate raises the needle.  It's been a while since I've opened up a stock carb.  So forgive me...

On my Honda, I've added a washer under the circlip to raise the needle and make it leaner.

Here, review the image from page 1 of this thread, the white spacer goes on top of the circlip.  Thinning it raises the needle.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:12:09

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.