Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Red rear turn signal lenses (Read 12 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Red rear turn signal lenses
Reply #15 - 12/04/04 at 13:43:10

I don't quite get it.  It is easy to add running light to the turn signals...a different socket and an extra wire.  Done.  No relays needed....but why would you want to override the turn signal function when the brakes are on?  Why not just add some additional red lights and connect them to the brake light?

And no, never heard of 3 filament bulbs either....

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 12/04/04 at 14:42:47

Basically because I'm a pig headed technician.  And explaining it to the wife I realized I was wrong, a single relay wouldn't work.  I'll have to make a solid state exclusive OR gate.

I want it to look nearly stock, just red lenses rather than amber.  No additional lights.   I want the tail light and the two side lights to be a low lumination red while running.  Braking I want all three to brighten.  The turn signal will brighten it's side, unless the brake light is on in which case it will dim it's side.  Same as an older car with the two filament bulbs in the tail lights.

The LED kit found by rkutzner will do exactly what I want -- except with amber lenses.  May have to go that route if I cannot find the parts to make the gate -- a lot of electronics are no longer manufactured.

----------aside----------------
Back in the late '50's early '60's we (Rockers) mocked the Mods with their scooters wired up like Christmas trees.  I carry a dislike for extra lights to this day.

Boolean logic: in, in, out:
AND   OR    ExclusiveOR
000   000   000
100   101   101
010   011   011
111   111   110

WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/04/04 at 19:30:19

Well I think at least Clauss can do you the red lenses pretty cheap. Take a look at his site and you will see. He specializes in one of's as well.

I have bought many things from him and in once case had him make something for a few of us Lambretta guys. He is good. So don't sweat the small thing like the Red lense. He can do that for you pretty cheap I think

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 12/05/04 at 05:32:18

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Basically because I'm a pig headed technician.  And explaining it to the wife I realized I was wrong, a single relay wouldn't work.  I'll have to make a solid state exclusive OR gate.

Interesting.  I'm a pig headed technician too.  I just prefer simplicity Smiley

Quote:
Boolean logic: in, in, out:
AND   OR    ExclusiveOR
000   000   000
100   101   101
010   011   011
111   111   110

Boy, that one takes me back to school.  Hmmm, let's see.  A Boolean AND, OR, and XOR.  Whew.  Where's my old book?  AND works like "either/or" and OR works like addition, and XOR is the opposite of OR.  Ahhhhhhhh!

Think that I'll just pull another wire and add a bulb  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #19 - 12/05/04 at 05:51:36

Yes, trigered some momories from college that i thought i'd forgotton.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #20 - 12/06/04 at 08:36:16

Pics of turn signal conversion to be a running light - note that I have 2 Savage so using the front internals of the one bike for the rear of the other was cheap for me.  You could probably find the front turn signals cheap at junk yards, e-Bay,... I don't know how much they sockets are from the dealership.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/thehoghunter/96savage/

Note with the lights on - left turn signal has red lense inside - right does not (to show difference).

WWW   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/16/04 at 07:02:54

Had a similar objective to Paladin, but solved it differently.

I cannot stand amber lenses so first switched to clear lenses all around with amber bulbs up front and red glass bulbs in rear.  Just have running lights and turn signal though --- was not interested in an additional brake light because I have a brake light spinner on my travel trunk that simply stays attached.

IP Logged
copterpilot2k4

Reply #22 - 01/17/05 at 17:09:46

go to the auto store and get the candy red transparent spray paint. paint the bulb or the whole lens. i did this with my jeep. looks sharp. im gonna do it to my yellow 97 when i get back to fl

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/18/05 at 08:01:27

I have been thinking of the same thing. In Texas rear running lights must be red. A guy in our club had blue lights to look cool and was stopped and ticketed. Then he found out that they must be red for running lights. I just decided to not mess with changing lenses or bulbs and get a led license plate frame. They are running/brake light and easy to install.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 23:31:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Red rear turn signal lenses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.