Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel Leaking behind Battery (Read 1 times)
eclectricdude
Ex Member

Fuel Leaking behind Battery
01/11/05 at 11:59:13

Greetings All,

I have a little problem I'm hoping you can help me solve. I just purchased a 96 Suzuki Savage, test drove and started great, idled perfect. After a few days in my garage I decided to fire it up for the first time after buying it. It Fired up fine but would not idle without stalling. I ran it for about 5 minutes stationery in my driveway to warm it up (with slight throttle to prevent the stalling at idle problem) before I noticed fuel spilling out behind the battery. I did a visual inspection on the carb and tank and could see no visible leaks. I don't have a manual and have been away from bikes for about 20 years (so my knowledge is limited) but the leak seems to be coming from somewhere around the air filter and back of battery area, spilling over the exhaust.

Some things different from the test drive and starting it a few days later was that I fillled the tank to about 3/4s with gas (it was alost dry when I test drove it). I also tested to see the  petcock would switch to reserve and prime. I'm wondering if any of these could cause the problem (and if so why??) and if this and the problem with stalling at idle are related?

Oh, one other variable. I transported the bike back to my home in a pickup bed, tilting the bike both up and down a short load ramp (really don't think this is an issue).

Not sure if this is still done. But years ago I had a bike with a sticking float chamber, used to have to sometimes tap it with a rubber mallet slightly to prevent fuel from overflowing. Not sure if I should try this on the Savage, thoughts??

If possible I'd like to try to diagnose this without having to disassemble the carb or remove the tank and seat (which I know will be the case sooner or later).  At least not until I get a manual and better aquanted with the bike.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Fuel Leaking behind Battery
Reply #1 - 01/11/05 at 12:35:55

If the bike has been sitting for awhile (before you got it), then it may be a stuck float.  My wife's Savage sat around without being ridden for almost a year and after we met and she had the same problem.  Plus it wouldn't start.  Putting it onto prime caused it to start but after about a minute it overflowed.

Suggest removing and cleaning out the carb (even if you didn't have this problem), changing the oil and oil filter, and getting a fuel filter since this bike has been sitting for awhile.  Have you looked to see if the gas tank is rusted inside (use a flashlight if needed - no matches! )

WWW   IP Logged
eclectricdude
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/12/05 at 09:39:19

Thanks for the advise. I will do everything you suggest once I get my maintenance manual. I found the problem was a stuck float in the carb, probably after running it up and down a steep ramp to transport it in the back of my pickup. Just rode it around a bit and the float reseated, no more leak.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 01/15/05 at 08:56:56

Leaking behind the battery?

The only thing behind the battery that is fuel related (this isn't a California bike is it?) would be the airbox.  At the bottom of the airbox is a drain hose which is normally plugged.

...and assumming that the carb bowl vent lines are routed correctly up into the frame OVER the carb....not backwards...

I have to think the same as TheHogHunter.  It sounds like a stuck float with gas pouring out the carb into the airbox.

I'd first try to drain the carb bowl into a glass jar to see what crap comes out of the bowl.  Put the Pet_c0ck in the PRI position so that gas flows.  Tap the bowl with a screw driver handle to see if you can loosen things up too.

Let us know how it turns out.

IP Logged
eclectricdude
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/16/05 at 09:45:49

Thanks for the advise. Problem solved, the float got stuck, tapped it a few times and the float reseated. I will have to clean out the carb at some stage and put an inline fuel filter in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:32:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Leaking behind Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.