Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Red rear turn signal lenses (Read 12 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Red rear turn signal lenses
12/01/04 at 19:39:57

I've seen a few bikes with the rear turn signals re-wired as running lights.  Bassman29 mentioned that in Illinois he would need red lenses to be legal.  While posting pictures I noticed that Riso has such red lenses in Rome:

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Red rear turn signal lenses
Reply #1 - 12/01/04 at 19:46:15

If you can't find red lenses that actually replace the yellow back signals, you can get the H-D red lens and cut off the sides, it will go inside the yellow OEM Savage lenses.  They then will glow red (not amber or orange).  Works great.  I used the front turn signal internals from my bike to do this for my wife's Savage.

WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/02/04 at 07:23:07

I don't quite understand how he would be legal in one sense but yet not be illegal in another. DOT requires turns to be Yellow with a specific surface area of that in reflective. So if he changes to red to comply with the running lights rear legality he would by default then also be out of complaince with the turn signal yellow requirement. All states, at least at minumum, default to DOT regulations....  Because they have too... So I cannot comprehend why if they are running lights as well as the turns he would end up legal by changing them to red. Unless he plans on using something else as the turns. Now note that the front turns are indeed yellow and are running lights already. So the only reason for red rear is to indicate that its the back of the bike. But the tail lamp and its red reflective surface already takes care of that. So it makes no sense to me why any state would require that if the rear turns were "always lighted" they need to be red. It would by default make the turns out of compliance by not being yellow while blinking.

Rome? well thats a whole nudder country so I got no idea what they want in the rear.... but Illinois should not be so different from DOT I would think. Confuses me that he said they were.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 12/02/04 at 08:35:22

California Vehicle Code:

24953.  (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

I'm allowed to change my lenses to red.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/02/04 at 08:45:25

Yes DOT reuirements are for RED stop and Amber or RED for turn. In the USA for years we made the wiring simplier by using a double filament bulb behind a RED lense to get low wattage running and high wattage or bright turn/stop. Voltage supply was switched in the turn signal curcuit so only one wire was needed for brake or turn light.   Europe has traditionally used separate lamps for turn amber and they require a wire for each lamp. My new Colorado PU has separate amber turn signals ala Europe, but I think Buick and Cadillac used them in the late 70's early 80's in the first version of the X-bodied car. Chev and Pontiac built on the same platform used traditional lenses.  Next time you are in a large parking lot look to see how they vary from vehicle to vehicle. Want more RED on the back of your Savage, use RED LED strips that attach under license plate screws. Most are wired off the tail/stop lamp circuit so will glow not so bright until the stop lamp it energized, then the will go bright. Also expect to see more LED options in the future, the technology there is really moving forward fast. There is a remarkable difference between the first LED flashlights and the current ones, lots brighter and less $. One article I read thought by end of this decade we will see LED headlamps on high end vehciles.  Cheesy

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 12/02/04 at 10:26:25

I don't want extra lights.  But I would like the existing turn signals to be run/turn/stop lights.  For that I would need red lenses.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 12/02/04 at 11:02:35

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I don't want extra lights.  But I would like the existing turn signals to be run/turn/stop lights.  For that I would need red lenses.

Yeah, I think I'd like to do that too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/02/04 at 14:19:10

We have the combination amber running/turn lights in the back.

I went and checked at the dealer to see if the individual parts for the signals were available...specifically I wanted the sockets which need to be 3 wire from the front signals.  I was told that I'd have to buy the entire lamp assembly at about $67...not good.

So I took the whole fender rail assembly off, disaasembled the turn signals and went to the auto parts store with the stock 2 wire socket.  There, hanging on a hook I found a replacement 3 wire socket (for a Ford, I think) that was a pretty close match in size, etc.

Went home, added another +12 wire from the tail light, and put it all back together.  It cost me less than $5 for each light.  I think the bulbs that I'm using are the old standard 1157s, too.

And yes, I've since had it inspected in NC with no trouble.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/02/04 at 14:54:57

Rear can def be amber or red.  Look at cars, many American cars/trucks are all red in back, many foriegn are amber....

....what about the LED kits out there?  THey're around $50 but I think they use green LEDs (comes out red through the amber?) and act as running AND brake lights with the turn signal overriding both....in amber.

http://beta.cruisercustomizing.com/list.cfm?manufacturer_ID=223&model_ID=0

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 12/02/04 at 15:02:55

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Rear can def be amber or red.  Look at cars, many American cars/trucks are all red in back, many foriegn are amber....

....what about the LED kits out there?  THey're around $50 but I think they use green LEDs (comes out red through the amber?) and act as running AND brake lights with the turn signal overriding both....in amber.

http://beta.cruisercustomizing.com/list.cfm?manufacturer_ID=223&model_ID=0

Okay, you have the option of $5 or $50.  LEDs are really great (low power consumption and heat), and if you want to spend the money, go for it.  But to get running lights IN the stock turnsignal lamp on the rear, you still have to pull a 3rd wire for the power from the lighting circuit.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 12/02/04 at 15:46:07

here in washington state no signals are required  yipee.
the only requirement is that "you signal".

my 30 plus years of riding experience has shown me cages don't see the machine let alone the signals.  

so dont be surprised when you almost get runover making a turn.  just be prepared to not make the turn and keep going straight untill it's safe to do so.

after i bobbed thumper i added a couple of red running lights attached to the wheel alingment bolts to serve as addition brake lights. note the license plate covers up the shock offset for belt drive. as you can see i'm in need of a new rear tire.  i'm on santa's nice list and hopefully he bring me my new dunlop k555
the only unlawful mod has been the removal of the right side mirror.  i did that on one of my sliding it on down the road incidents. ok there have been several. but hey i'm ok. poor ole thumper has gotten beat up though.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/03/04 at 07:38:24

California Vehicle Code:

24953.  (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

I'm allowed to change my lenses to red.

Ah yes. Good stuff. So Red OR Amber... but the operative word now is "allowed". You are apparently also allowed to use Amber which you already have.

The white allowance for the front flashers sort of suprises me too. Learn something new every day! But of course that might be state specific I suppose.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/03/04 at 07:43:51

Ok I finaly see what your up to. You want a triple use for them and the important part is you want them also to really brighten up as extra brake lights. So thats the part that really makes you want to use Red lenses. Got it! Interesting. So you want triple elements? How do you plan to solve that? Is there such a beast?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #13 - 12/03/04 at 09:49:33

Replace the socket and bulb with a dual filament.
Wire the low wattage filiment to the running light lead going to the taillight.  The high wattage filament needs to follow the brake light and the turn signal (blinking off even when the brake light lead is hot.)  A small DPST relay would do the trick -- coil across the turn lead, turn lead to NO, brake to NC, lamp to COM.  

Amber is not allowed for the brake light part, so I can either do the $50 green LED thing posted by rkutzner; or do it my way with gated bulbs.  Functionally the big difference would be that my way results in red lenses, which IMO look better.  Cost difference would depend on the cost of the red lenses.

WWW   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/03/04 at 11:04:13

Well.... I do know a guy out in your area in California that makes such things as this from an OEM part. He does mostly Scooter reproductions and such. I buy some things from him from time to time and he does great work.... not certain it would be cost effective for just a few but it might be doable... it might be something you could consider. He needs one to cast it. Clauss Studio's is the name. Greg Clauss. He should have a web site if you search that out.

Ah...here it is. And this is just up his alley too..

http://www.claussstudios.com/index.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Red rear turn signal lenses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.