Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring (Read 16 times)
savagegirlbiker
Ex Member

Backfiring
11/29/04 at 06:15:21

Hi,

I am a new Savage owner.  I am in love with the motorcycle but find the backfiring a little unnerving.

I have found a lot of info about removing the white spacer in the carbureator and removing the idler screw adjuster.  Not having any experience with doing mechanical work, I was wondering if anyone can recommend someone to do these modifications to my bike in the Madison, WI or Wisconsin Dells area.  

What is the best way to approach eliminating the backfiring.  I have seen many opinions.   I have also been having a stalling problem only when the bike is cold.  I let it warm up at least 5 minutes before riding but it stalls out and then backfires when trying to accelerate after 1st gear.  Living in Wisconsin, I have been riding in 40 degree weather.  Maybe it is just cold blooded.

I am jealous of those who can ride all year.  Although those heated pants sound interesting.

Any advice from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Ride safe.

Kim

IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Re: Backfiring
Reply #1 - 11/29/04 at 08:56:39

Backfiring can be reduced a lot by changing mufflers to a SuperTrapp. This is about $250. It will also give you more power and better sound. If you do this, you should upjet your carb. Use a DynaJet kit and follow their directions. The kit provides a new needle which corrects the white spacer issue. This will add a little more performance improvement.
All of this will not completely stop the backfiring. It changes it to a little ka-pop after some shifts. 8)

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #2 - 11/29/04 at 11:33:04

personally, i find the backfiring to be an endearing thing.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/30/04 at 03:48:47

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
personally, i find the backfiring to be an endearing thing.

Somehow, I expected that answer.  You Go, Sunny  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/30/04 at 06:12:38

I did the Dynajet kit ($50) and the MAC muffler ($95) and am very happy with the results.  If I had it to do over though, I'd save the $50 from the DJ kit and just file/shave the white spacer to half its original thickness (or replace it with a stainless one that is equivalent to half its thickness) and replace the main jet with a Mikuni #155 ($3).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #5 - 11/30/04 at 09:58:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Somehow, I expected that answer.  You Go, Sunny  8)

at the toy run, i got all sorts of strange looks from all the harley/chopper riders due to the backfire.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 11/30/04 at 17:09:05

BACKFIRING IN A THUMPER IS NORMAL.....

call me mean but....  Tongue

i've been known to approach a bus stop  use the kickstand as a Kill switch creating the backfire. i'll do it a couple of times and watch the crowd scatter thinking it's gun shots..   oh well   it's fun and nobody's shot back Yet.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/30/04 at 17:42:08

savagegirlbiker,

I suspect that most , if not all, Savage riders have had all the problems/concerns that you list -- I know I have.

Don't know what year Savage you have, but I have found that my 2002 is very cold natured.  Before I made any changes to my Savage I found that before starting the bike if I put the choke in the first out position (of the three positions) it started right up and ran smooth through all the gears with little or no warm up.  You may want to try running with the choke in the first position for the first ten to twenty minutes of a ride.

I have found that changing the exhaust (I use Jardine) and rejetting the carb (I use a Mikuni 157.5 main jet), adjusting the idle mixture screw, removeing the white plastic spacer and replaceing it with a stainless steel washer 1/3 the thickness of the plastic spacer the Savage becomes quite a different bike. More mid-range power and smoothness,  almost no afterfire, and very good fuel mileage (about 60 mpg).

Don't know of any mechanics in your area, but ask around in some of the riding clubs in your area.

Good luck and ride on.

IP Logged
savagegirlbiker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/01/04 at 09:04:09

Hi red2k1,

Thank you for your comments especially regarding the stalling out.  I will try your suggestion.  Hopefully on Saturday I'll get to ride.  The weatherman is predicting 40 and partly sunny.  Once they salt the roads I'll have to put it away.

Now that I have gotten over some of my "I'm a girl" attitude about the mods of the bike, I realized after reading many messages on the msgboard here that some mods have already been done to my bike.  It is a 2002 which had 1727 miles when I purchased it about  a month ago.  I guess the guy traded it in for a snowmobile.  The mod to make the idler mixture screw accessible is done but I'm not sure what else.  So I guess I will have to see if the white spacer is still there (I suspect it has been changed already).  The thing I'm wondering about is the muffler.  What does a stock muffler look like.  It's hard to tell from the manual pictures.  

I may just need to do some adjusting as far as the backfiring goes because it only backfires (shotgun sound) when I shut it off and I would think the bike was adjusted for warmer weather.  Once in a while I hear a small fart when I decelerate but barely noticeable.

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.  I have already learned so much about the bike.

WisconsinGirlBiker

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 12/01/04 at 14:15:17

savagegirlbiker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
.... The thing I'm wondering about is the muffler.  What does a stock muffler look like.  It's hard to tell from the manual pictures.....

Ask and ye shall receive.  Go to The Poster's Gallery.  There is a very nice picture of a stock muffler on Kropatcheck's bike, Riso's bike, Perry's bike, etc..  If your's is not stock scan the gallery 'til you find one that does look like yours and ask the owner what it is.

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 12/02/04 at 03:03:21

Yes, listen to red2k1 he knows what he is talking about with regard to jeting etc.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 12/02/04 at 07:02:31

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Yes, listen to red2k1 he knows what he is talking about with regard to jeting etc.

Clive W  Cheesy

The only thing I'd question (and maybe it's just not cold enough where I am) is the use of the choke for 20 minutes.  I typically only need to run it at half-choke for between 20 seconds and 2 minutes before reverting to normal.

... And speaking of muffler pictures, I'll get a new photo of mine with the MAC installed as soon as I get a smaller heat shield on her.  The stock bell-flare shield is functional but not to my taste with the smaller diameter muffler installed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 12/02/04 at 07:06:56

I think the 20mins on choke was before he re jetted the carb.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 12/02/04 at 14:31:24

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
at the toy run, i got all sorts of strange looks from all the harley/chopper riders due to the backfire.

Just tell them that you're riding an experimental vehicle and doing emission testing research.  Doh!

IP Logged
Red Wine

Reply #14 - 12/03/04 at 06:02:59

Another good one, Greg  Grin Grin Grin LOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:36