Send Topic Print
Jacking up the bike (Read 19 times)
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Jacking up the bike
01/29/05 at 15:53:58

I have a friend who has the craftsman motorcycle jack. I need to do some work on my bike and would like to know if anyone has this jack and where under the bike the jack should be placed. I don't want to damage anything. (the front part of the jack looks like it won't be a problem under the frame but the back seems to have the belt in the way) So does anyone have pictures of where exactly they placed the jack? Or, can someone describe where I should place it. Thanks.

Jen
  IP Logged
Michael

Re: Jacking up the bike
Reply #1 - 01/29/05 at 18:01:35

Jen

Most of the jacks, regardles the brand are strutted too far apart for a comfortable fit for the small frame of the Savage. What i did was lay a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, with carpet over it (to prevent damaging the finish on bike frame)on top of the jack, and the bike sits quite nicely on it.
A couple of tie down straps are also a good idea, as it will stabilize the bike as you perform necessary work on it.  If you don't have any straps just use some rope, and tie in a way that the bike has no play from side to side. My jack has loops on it, to anchor these said straps/ropes... Another tip is, all the jacks have a brake function on the casters. Make sure they are applied, so the jack does not roll.

With all this in mind, the bike should be quite stable, and you need not worry about the belt, or guard hitting...Mine looked like it would, but if the bike is placed correctly on the plywood,  there is actually about an inch clearance.

Mine is actually stored for the winter , raised off floor, on jack. I would love to take a picture of it for you, but my digital camera is on the fritz.

.....Hope this helps.......Good luck, and watch those skinned knuckles.....cheers

Michael

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #2 - 01/30/05 at 12:51:03

Thanks, I bought the wood and after the pipe cools I will jack it up. I went for a 30 mile ride today, it broke 35 degrees and that's warm enough for me Smiley It was great to get out and ride. I'm going to the Supercycle show  in Chicago next Saturday and the international bike show the following Saturday. I'm going to get my bike fix anyway I can to get through winter!

Jen
  IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #3 - 02/01/05 at 18:51:31

This may seem hick to some of you, but I use an engine hoist to pick up my Savage.  I use a bike tie-down through the hoist hook to the rear shocks, and another one at the bar between the risers.  Works great, and no worries about it fallling over.

Of course I already had the hoist from working on old cars.  This would not be my first choice for bike wrenching only, as it takes up lots of space.  But as long as it's there...

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/20/05 at 08:41:16

bobo383 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
This may seem hick to some of you, but I use an engine hoist to pick up my Savage.  I use a bike tie-down through the hoist hook to the rear shocks, and another one at the bar between the risers.  Works great, and no worries about it fallling over.

Of course I already had the hoist from working on old cars.  This would not be my first choice for bike wrenching only, as it takes up lots of space.  But as long as it's there...

Not hick to me.  It's using what you've got to do what you want.  If it works, do it.  Besides, then you have nothing under the bike to work around.

Not much different then my bike strap and eye-bolt in the joist arrangement...with car stand... Tongue

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 02/20/05 at 08:47:33

See my post of maintenance.
Looks sofisticated the red bar but works the same as the $20 bike lift as posted before.
The other is a  scissors jack ; a left over from my Datsun car I owned years ago.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #6 - 02/20/05 at 11:23:01

I found this link some time ago, and ill make one myself someday ! I think it looks nice !
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 02/20/05 at 14:14:58

DangMan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I found this link some time ago, and ill make one myself someday ! I think it looks nice !
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

many of us have built that stand.

i call it "the center stand".

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Reply #8 - 02/20/05 at 14:47:47

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
many of us have built that stand.

i call it "the center stand".

Nice to know that it works irl  8)
are there anything one should be aware of when using the stand ?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 02/20/05 at 18:32:17

I've since bought a motorcycle jack but still use the homemade one for a lot of jobs because it's so simple and fast.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jacking up the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.