Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
disassemble forks help (Read 8 times)
Gargoyle
Ex Member

disassemble forks help
11/18/04 at 14:02:48

I have the forks off my bike. My Clymer manual says to disassemble remove allen bolt from bottom of forks. It also states it is difficult because the dampner my turn inside the fork when turning the bolt. Has anyone taken their forks apart? how did you remove bottom bolt?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: disassemble forks help
Reply #1 - 11/18/04 at 16:40:22

Yes, easiest is to use an air wrench, not air rachet, and metric allen to spin the bolt out and back in. I do it this way, I also bought the special tool in the manual that does NOT work and the the suggested alternative that amounts to a large tapered 4 sided easy out looking device that fits on the end of a 3/8" extension. Then the local parts guy told me how he does it, and it is to take an old broom handle and cut a 4 sided taper on one end and drive it in the bottom of the dampener and then wrench out the bolt. It will turn hard most of the way as it has locktite on it.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #2 - 11/18/04 at 18:23:18

Loosen the bolt while the spring is still fully compressed in the tube. The pressure helps keep the damper from turning. A impact wrnech is also a plus if you have one. I usually crack them loose while the tubes are still on the bike.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/19/04 at 09:15:29

Honda_fan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Loosen the bolt while the spring is still fully compressed in the tube. The pressure helps keep the damper from turning. A impact wrnech is also a plus if you have one. I usually crack them loose while the tubes are still on the bike.

Darn good point Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 07:30:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › disassemble forks help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.