Logo challenge (Read 5 times)
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Logo challenge
11/10/04 at 18:15:41

I was sitting around on my hands and as I really liked the idea of a logo for a shirt or tee or hat, I thought I'd develop it out a little further.

I had a couple years of industrial design in school and learned the value of not stopping your first idea.  We used to work on idea after idea after idea. Sometimes you combined ideas, always refining, sometimes you ended up using idea #1 anyway.

Well, it's too cold ride anymore, and I've not got a garage to work on the bike, so here's what I'm up to tonight.  Simple stuff but I'm having fun.

(Just a Joke)

From a few days ago...

I figure if the "artistes" among us all contribute over the next few months maybe we can come up with something great.  Feel free to refine what others have done and and vice versa.  Let's consider it a group effort.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Logo challenge
Reply #1 - 11/11/04 at 05:37:39

Can you use the Suzuki name - or would that be infringement on their name/logo (Including the red S)?  And since they don't really listen to their Savage owners as far as needed improvements, why even mention Suzuki?  Just a thought.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 11/11/04 at 06:06:39

If it were my company, I wouldn't mind the free advertising... provided it was in good taste.

Just speaking generically of thumpers is obviously safe.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #3 - 11/11/04 at 07:17:47

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Can you use the Suzuki name - or would that be infringement on their name/logo (Including the red S)?  And since they don't really listen to their Savage owners as far as needed improvements, why even mention Suzuki?  Just a thought.

For a small scale run, I'd think not.  That would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.  They're not Harley after all, licensing out Harley Barbie Dolls.

The reason they don't listen to owners is the same reason the Savage/Boulevard S40 is so cheap.  By not having to redesign, retool, remarket year after year, the've recouped thier initial investment and pass it on to the customer.  The Savage provides a lot bang for the buck in the starter bike price range.  I'd doubt if sales would be as good, no matter what they did to it, if the bike cost $6000.  

And if you look at the Boulevard, from an aethetics point of view, they did change it to the way most folks seemed to do it anyway, racy handlebars, one piece seat, no sissybar.  It took almost 20 years, but they did change it up a little.  Engine and drive train-wise, I suspect that emissons certications and retooling would cause a major increase in costs.  The eye candy stuff they did was mostly done by just changing their order to their outside suppliers.

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/11/04 at 17:03:32

I like the second and third ones....hehehe......

I love my S40, for $3995 (plus the usual $500 tax/tags/title) what more do you want?  After the K&N, Supertrapp, driver backrest and carb tune, I'll still be a hair under $5000 TOTAL.  And it will run like a bat outta ........Smiley

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 11/11/04 at 17:26:09

i think greg's engine logo would be a perfect graphic simply because it's the one thing on the machine that nobody changes.

as i explained it to my lovely wife, we don't have 50k to buy a custom job. but with a machine  less than a tenth of the cost and some creative customizing on my part, it'll do the job nicely.  when i'm done i think the whole thing will come in around 6k.  it will be more custom than a savage. i'll call it the md650 custom.

which brings me back to...  gregs engine graphic would be a great logo.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 11/12/04 at 03:22:03

8)Those're cool designs ... and am all in favour of coming up with something for tee's & hats ... it'll be interesting to see what the artists here at suzukisavage.com will come up with. Keep up the good work!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 11/12/04 at 06:39:35

The list of V-Twin cruisers is rather long.
The list of Thumper cruisers is rather short.

The Big Single was the reason I ended up with a Savage -- any logo would just have to include the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #8 - 11/12/04 at 15:15:54

single and lovin' it!

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 11/12/04 at 19:28:04

I think Sunny nailed it!

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/12/04 at 20:14:48

I tend to agree with Sluggo, Greg's logo is definetely the most original and unchanged.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #11 - 11/12/04 at 20:53:06

I wasn't asking for opinions.

I was asking for artwork.

Roll Eyes