tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
carb question
11/05/04 at 17:58:40

i noticed today that my bike won't run in ON or Res only in PRI

i also noticed that on my carb.  the tube that comes from the bottom of the petco.ck (the one with the spring is attached to a nozzle on the left side of the carb above the other tube(no spring) which connects to a connector on the petco.ck that runs horizontal.

when i looked on the right side of the carb.  there are identical connectors there but there are no tubes.  the lower connector has a cap on it and the upper one is just open.  

am i missing a tube somewhere?  or is this a normal thing.

i've looked at schematics of the carb and the petcoc.k but there isn't one with both connected to each other.  

also how do i clean out the gas cap vent?

thanks

IP Logged
tarheel36512

Re: carb question
Reply #1 - 11/05/04 at 21:03:08

ok...
i figured out that the previous owner screwed up attaching the tubes.
correct me if i'm wrong:
on the left side the of the carb is the fuel valve that connects to the petcock(horizontal connector on the petcock).

on the right side is the vaccum valve and it attaches to the petcock(vertical connector) this is a tube with the spring around it.

i also have one valve open on each side and they are both above the valves connected w/ tubes.

- now doin this i was able to ride on "ON" until I got to like 60 mph then it backfired alot and the bike shutoff.  i pulled over tried to start it in "ON" - won't start then i  put it in "PRI" and got back to riding

am i missing tubes somewhere on the carb?
i cleaned out the petcock, tubes, and gas cap earlier today; is there a certain procedure in cleaning out the petcock and gas cap?  

now i don't know what happened.  at least it ran on "ON" for a while

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/06/04 at 04:45:52

It sounds like something isn't right, but I'm having a hard time following your description.  Obviously, the petcock is not working correctly, but I don't know why.

You really need to get yourself into the "Technical Corner" and study the pictures in "Carb Specs".

You also really need to get a manual...there is no telling what the previous owner did.

Tell us what you find and/or post some pics.

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #3 - 11/06/04 at 16:45:30

i took a look at the carb pics on the tech section:

ok i have nothing connected to my bowl vent hose connections on my carb.

i also have the tube with a spring around it goin to the vacuum connector on the carb and one tube connected to the normal fuel connector on the carb.

in the pictures there are hoses connected to the vent connections.  do i need these?

and if i do...where the hell do they go?

i think the previous owner just attached the vacuum hose to the bowl vent on the left side instead of reattaching it to its proper place on the right side.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/07/04 at 03:14:04

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
ok i have nothing connected to my bowl vent hose connections on my carb.

Why in the world would the previous owner remove them?  Dumb.

Quote:
i also have the tube with a spring around it goin to the vacuum connector on the carb and one tube connected to the normal fuel connector on the carb.

Did you put it there?  I'm guessing because of what you said in your last paragraph.

Quote:
in the pictures there are hoses connected to the vent connections.  do i need these?

That must have been what the previous owner thought too.  Yes, you need those.  Don't need gass sloshing out, or bugs, water and dirt getting in.

Quote:
and if i do...where the hell do they go?

Go back to the pics again.  They go up above the carb (like in one photo) and stick into the hollow in the frame on each side of that "black box thingy" (actually the decompression module)

Quote:
i think the previous owner just attached the vacuum hose to the bowl vent on the left side instead of reattaching it to its proper place on the right side.

Really cool.  So you've been riding around with carb nipples sucking air.  At least now we know why the petc0ck didn't work right.

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #5 - 11/07/04 at 06:09:34

so both vents are connected to something in the frame?(hopefully when my service manual comes in i'll know)

now can i use any rubber hose that will fit?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 11/07/04 at 06:23:03

Yes, you can use any rubber or plastic hose that is fuel resistand.

The other end of the hoses go into the square section of the frame under the tank.

See my previous post about bugs in the floatchamber.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/07/04 at 06:23:37

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
so both vents are connected to something in the frame?(hopefully when my service manual comes in i'll know)

now can i use any rubber hose that will fit?

They aren't connected to anything but the carb on one end and just tucked away into the frame on the other.

Yes, any hose that fits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 00:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.