Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low End Torque (Read 24 times)
tekxtc
Ex Member

Low End Torque
10/26/04 at 12:16:16

I have a fundamental question:

Which of the following statements are true?

1) peak horsepower will happen on peak rmp after which a failure is likely. (lets call this max_hp_rpm)

2) peak torque will happen sometime before the peak rpm. this is when the bike accelates the fastest. (lets call this max_torque_rpm).

3) the smaller the value of the ratio
max_hp_rpm/max_torque_rpm
the better the bike's acceleration is (at low speeds 0-70 mph). (lets call this peak torque ratio)

Assuming 2 bikes have same or similar hp and similar peak torque values, but very different peak torque ratios, then the one with lower peak torque ratio will out accelerate the other one (speeds of 0-70 mph).

Is this statement true?

What am I missing?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Low End Torque
Reply #1 - 10/26/04 at 14:25:35

tekxtc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I have a fundamental question:

Which of the following statements are true?

1) peak horsepower will happen on peak rmp after which a failure is likely. (lets call this max_hp_rpm)
False.  Horsepower generally rises with RPM to a peak and then diminishes toward redline (maximum RPM.)  
Quote:
2) peak torque will happen sometime before the peak rpm. this is when the bike accelates the fastest. (lets call this max_torque_rpm).
Mostly true.  Torque is more a matter of engine size and generally has a flatter curve than horsepower.  Engines that are built and tuned for drivability generally have flatter torque curves than engines designed and tuned for maximum horsepower.   A flatter torque curve will accelerate strongly throughout the entire rpm range -- a vehicle with a higher peak torque but lower torque off that peak will not accelerate as strong throughout the same rpm range.
Quote:
the better the bike's acceleration is (at low speeds 0-70 mph). (lets call this peak torque ratio)
For maximum performanace I usually like to shift from maximum horsepower to maximum torque.  This is a function of matching the gearbox ratios to the engine performance.
Quote:
Assuming 2 bikes have same or similar hp and similar peak torque values, but very different peak torque ratios, then the one with lower peak torque ratio will out accelerate the other one (speeds of 0-70 mph).

Is this statement true?
No.
Quote:
What am I missing?
The transmission type and gear ratios, weight of the bikes with riders, weight distribution, tire size and composition and as you get up to speed the drag coefficient.  And probably a dozen more things.

WWW   IP Logged
Tumi Laamanen

Reply #2 - 10/26/04 at 14:40:55

Quote:

Well, no. What everyone is actually measuring on a dyno is torque. Horsepower is very coarsely torque times rpm. If the torque curve falls away after peaking at well below max rpm the peak horsepower can't occur at or near peak rpm as they are related. Max power would be found at max rpm only if max torque rpm was quite close to max rpm. Theorethical max rpm is mostly limited by piston speed (which depends on the lenght of engine stroke) and there's an old adage about mean piston speed - if it's over 23 m/s at redline rpm the engine's either very good design or you are pushing your luck. So - peak torque rpm is limited by state of tune and engine design, peak power rpm is related to torque curve and both of them are in most cases well below max safe rpm.  

Quote:

No, the torque very basically tells you how much work the engine can do. Power tells you how quickly the engine can do the work. For performance standpoint it's better to have torque at high rpm because it will make more hp that way. The peak acceleration appears somewhere between the torque and power peaks. If the torque falls away fast after peaking then you will get maximum acceleration close to torque peak rpm. It's a question of torque curve shape, also aerodynamics, gearing.. and we can't make exact assumptions where the peak acceleration (maximum thrust) will appear.

Quote:

Is this statement true?

What am I missing?

This is quite close to what I think as truth. If the peak torque rpm was very low and the max hp rpm high, the max hp would be at high rpm only because the engine was still making torque at those highish revs. You would have wide torque band which helps with acceleration compared to very peaky engines having only top or low end. You would have for example two 60 hp engines, both making max power at 8000rpm, both making 40ft/lbs of torque, the first one making the peak torque at 3500rpm and the other one at 7500rpm, yes, the first one would likely be faster. Do also remember that peak torque is just that - if the other engine made 39ft/lbs all the way from 1500rpms to 7500rpms, then it also had very wide torque band and would be just like the first one. The curve shape is more important than the absolute peak value.

In practice there are things like bike weight, gearing, aerodynamics which affect the true acceleration figures. Peak torque or power is not everything. I just recently found what I rate as the first reliable performance data for Triumph Rocket III. A true 119 hp and 137.6ft/lbs. In top gear roll ons the thing is absolutely useless. 40 to 90mph in top gear it's barely faster than the fastest 600 sport bikes and gets totally whumped by a good 1000 four. I thought the Triumph would do much better than this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/27/04 at 03:35:54

Tumi Laamanen wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
In practice there are things like bike weight, gearing, aerodynamics which affect the true acceleration figures. Peak torque or power is not everything. I just recently found what I rate as the first reliable performance data for Triumph Rocket III. A true 119 hp and 137.6ft/lbs. In top gear roll ons the thing is absolutely useless. 40 to 90mph in top gear it's barely faster than the fastest 600 sport bikes and gets totally whumped by a good 1000 four. I thought the Triumph would do much better than this.

And you are quite right, except that Triumph DID do better than that!

I have read to 2 different test reports on The Rocket III and it's acceleration performance is even more astounding than the venerable V-Max.  I lost these articles (left at work) but after searching the magazine sites, I found this intro article on the Rocket.  It isn't a sportbike, but is is one very fast bike with torque in the 140 ft/lb range.

Rider Magazine

One of the strongest statements that I remember reading about the Rocket in the reviews, was that with peak torque being developed below 2500 rpms, that "shifting was optional".

In my opinion, just as Triumph (and BSA) introduced the performance thumpers which inspired our Savages of today, the Rocket III is another bold powerful bike which will truely be the benchmark in the world of cruisers and sportbikes.  I applaud Triumph for not only be different, but also being better....shoot, the engine even looks like it belongs on a locomotive.

Darn.  I wish that I still had those magazine articles  :'(

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 10/27/04 at 03:51:50

On my friend's racing sidecar outfit the change up point is after peak power to have the same BHP both before and after the change.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Tumi Laamanen

Reply #5 - 10/27/04 at 06:20:07

Quote:
And you are quite right, except that Triumph DID do better than that!

I have read to 2 different test reports on The Rocket III and it's acceleration performance is even more astounding than the venerable V-Max.

I suppose you are referring to Motorcyclist Magazine comparison? I also saw it online but I don't completely trust their performance data. I don't think they even use datalogging or GPS when measuring the bikes. Performance Bikes magazine data is one of the few sources which I trust completely (that's why I mentioned 'the first reliable performance data' for the Trump) and the quick scan is here.

Rocket III is able to run with V-Max so it's not slow, but on the other hand it really has to, having nearly twice the displacement. You should also remember that V-Max was the production bike power king 19 years ago but today it's left behind by 600s in quarter mile and top speeds. Rocket III certainly isn't slow as such, but it's precisely the hyped pre launch press material quoted in Rider Report article ('it will accelerate faster than just about any production motorcycle..') which we've now found out to be unrealistic that disappoints me. Triumph usually doesn't write checks they can't cash.

Another Rocket III article worth checking can be found here.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/27/04 at 12:25:07

Tumi Laamanen wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I suppose you are referring to Motorcyclist Magazine comparison? I also saw it online but I don't completely trust their performance data. I don't think they even use datalogging or GPS when measuring the bikes. Performance Bikes magazine data is one of the few sources which I trust completely (that's why I mentioned 'the first reliable performance data' for the Trump) and the quick scan is here.

Rocket III is able to run with V-Max so it's not slow, but on the other hand it really has to, having nearly twice the displacement. You should also remember that V-Max was the production bike power king 19 years ago but today it's left behind by 600s in quarter mile and top speeds. Rocket III certainly isn't slow as such, but it's precisely the hyped pre launch press material quoted in Rider Report article ('it will accelerate faster than just about any production motorcycle..') which we've now found out to be unrealistic that disappoints me. Triumph usually doesn't write checks they can't cash.

Another Rocket III article worth checking can be found here.

Well, you gotta believe what ya gotta believe.  I listed the magazine title above.  It was that one and Cruising Rider that did the tests.  Both with high praise for the bike.  All that I could find this morning online was an intro article (the publicity hype stuff).  However there are even better articles on the bike that I cannot find right now.

The bike isn't intended to compare with 600 or 1000 sportbikes and it weighs heavily on the sidestand as well at nearly 800 ibs.  However the comparisons were made with the V-Max which still claims production bike 1/4 mile times after all these years....and the V-Max is a 1200 and much lighter.  Still the Rocket, in both mag tests, was about a 1/2 second faster than the V-Max (Have you seen the new anniversary version V-Max?)

The bike was also compared with the Vulcan 2000, a new Harley and a couple others.  Bikes that actually weigh more, so the Rocket isn't all dinosaur either.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Rocket scrapes footpegs before even getting close to a 600 sportbike, but that isn't because of the engine either....you know there is much more too it than that.

The Rocket was simply tested for handling for what it is designed to do, and at the same time it returned dyno and 1/4 mile results that blow all others away.  You can't sneeze at that torque and power, and I personally can't wait to pull up behind a bike with 3 mufflers 'cause I'll be looking....

It's all about weight and power.  If you need more weight to contain the power go for it.  The Rocket comes on it's peak torque at 2K, how fast you got to wind up a sportbike to do the same?

BTW - my last bike was a Yamaha 850 triple, so I'm partial to singles and triples  Tongue

IP Logged
Tumi Laamanen

Reply #7 - 10/27/04 at 14:01:03

Yes, I don't argue that Rocket III is a bad or slow bike.. I really wish it sells well because the factory deserves to make well. Since launching their first bikes in 1991, Hinckley Triumph has made profit only in 2001 so far. Last year they announced that they will not design any more cutting edge sportbikes as the investments are very large and profits small at best. It's bikes like Rocket III that could get them going better and better, although I'm not interested in a Rocket III personally but it could afford Triumph to further design bikes like their Sprint ST and GT which appeal more to me. So I really wish it sells well. The only thing I'm arguing is why they claimed it could outaccelerate sportbikes as that's clearly not the case? They could just have told that it's the quickest of the production cruisers and that would have been, besides being true, enough to get most of the potential buyers looking for a powerful cruiser interested.

Finally, The V-Max nowadays makes it only to the top 40 of production bike quarter times, but if the Rocket III was half a second faster, then it would be at least among the.. let's say, top 25 or 30. Still not bad for a bike that heavy, but still not as fast as they initially claimed it to be. By the way, I often refer to this list where you can find most of the performance specs and compare them to each other. Some of the data is not very correct as, for example, the top speeds are maybe up to 10mph down to what the bikes have done in European tests. Maybe the magazines have used a bit too short straight for the speed testing. Also the list seems to be compiled sometimes in 2001 or 2002 as it lacks the latest bikes. However, the torque, power and quarter times seem to be reliable enough to do rough comparisons between different bikes.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/28/04 at 03:34:20

Well, I guess we've come to a happy medium on this discussion.  All that I know is what I read (I wish it were the old days when test rides were encouraged by the dealers), but lacking my own experience, reading is all that I have.  I compare the numbers and I compare the articles with my own knowledge of bikes and I make judgements from there....

By the way, the only "modern" sportbike that I have really ridden was a 1200 Bandit.  That bike screams, I will admit.

With every bike I've owned, they have been different from the popular majority.  Just my way to be different.  Thumpers, triples, 2 strokes.....so I have a Savage.

IF and when I decide to get another bike it will be a Triumph Rocket III.  Whether it IS the fastest or not is never my priority.  What I like is that it is a real performer (maybe not the best), and it is unique.  It has a longitudinal inline 3 engine with 4 inch pistons.  Man, what a powerplant.  It also has the largest rear tire on a production bike at 240.  What a footprint that puppy makes.  It also "supposedly" wheelies any time you want it to...and that will be all that my senior citizen adrenaline levels can handle anyway  Grin

Besides, it is a Triumph and I first rode a Cub as a teenager and never forgot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:31:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low End Torque

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.