Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aerodynamic front fender? (Read 9 times)
PRH111
Ex Member

Aerodynamic front fender?
10/23/04 at 00:02:51

Anyone ever seen aerodynamic front fenders?

I'd love to get ahold of something which encases the front wheel more and at the same time is shaped to offer some downforce at speed.  The stock fender happens to be positioned just right to create front end lift and near maximal drag.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Aerodynamic front fender?
Reply #1 - 10/23/04 at 08:18:46

Are you talking about something like this yellow fender:

This was spotted in this thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

You might ask Sluggo about how to contact Max and ask him what and where he got it.

WWW   IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/04 at 14:47:18

HOW FAST ARE YOU PLANNING ON GOING

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 10/23/04 at 16:08:06

hey, that's my front wheel.   Shocked

and max's yellow fender.

i don't believe the fender will cause the problem you describe. with the gearing 85-90mph tops  been there, done that, got the tee shirt. didn't feel like it was a problem.. it's the gvw that's a problem at high speed.
wanna go faster  get a different bike.  Wink but never give up your thumper, there is nothing like it out there

now if you want a sleeker look that's a whole nother story.  

fyi max does post here so he may well chime in on the subject.  he does have a sweet looking bagger and will be swapping out his rear fender for one like the front.
and believe me if max gives advise TAKE IT. he knows of what he speaks.

I on the other hand only knows of what i have actually done.  like push starting, yes it can be done. starting from a stop with no clutch, wild ride but doable.
sliding it down the road on the rear fender. It's called a high ho silver away. dont try that at home boy's and girls.   8)

enjoy   buy fuel it's the accessory the bike loves the most.     SINGLES RULE, HARLEY'S DROOL.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 10/23/04 at 21:55:50

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
hey, that's my front wheel.   Shocked

and max's yellow fender.

i don't believe the fender will cause the problem you describe.....

At least you know people look at and remember your photos. Grin

While I will most likely not ride in the rain I will be riding after a rain on wet streets.  If I find I am throwing too much water from the front tire onto myself I may check out the fuller fender of Max's Bagger.  I also noticed the box over what used to be the pillion.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 10/23/04 at 22:28:15

Front fender came from J & P cycles part # 13-200 and fits a HD dyna softail, wideglide and 4 spd FXWD models. You might find something at a swap meet with that info. Had to weld shut and redrill the mounting holes. The fiberglass fender for the same bikes comes undrilled as I remember but the man I bought it through had been less than happy with the glass one. 1999 era, things may have changed. Then I cut the sissybar off at fender top height and used the remaining solid steel uprights to fashion the rear bar suppport for a package rack in lieu of the rear pillion. Front support is cantilivered off the rack and uses the rubber pads from the pillion pad on the same spots. I've got a GIVI trunk quick detach plate mounted on it. First version used a Honda trail 90 rack, current is unknown donor, came from Hayden Lake ID salvage yard for $5. Fender cuts about 95% of the behind the windscreen spray from the bike and rider. Still some that runs up fender and the wind forces out along the sides in inclement weather.  I rode to the 2003 FSSNOC Rally in Lander WY in 2 days of rain and wet snow and I do not think any fender would have been 100%. Indian Head light from Flanders folks, bars, lights and paint in CA. Max Smiley

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 10/23/04 at 22:30:55

Too me the fender & fork combo that would look sweet is the Suzuki GZ 250 one. Maybe someday I''l find one in a Salvage yard and see if it would work. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Diane
2004 No Login

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Houston, TX
Reply #7 - 10/23/04 at 23:33:49

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
SINGLES RULE, HARLEY'S DROOL.

I love it!  Can't wait to use this one on my Harley Drooling boyfriend and his buddies.  He drooled all over his Dyna Wide Glide so much at the dealership when he bought it that they managed to get him to sign on the dotted line with no money down, 16% interest for 9 years.  That bike ain't worth what he owes on it!

Gas $3.39 a gallon, map $5.95, getting lost on a scenic country road.......... priceless!
2003 Teal Green Savage
Houston, TX
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/24/04 at 06:22:37

PRH111 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Anyone ever seen aerodynamic front fenders?

I'd love to get ahold of something which encases the front wheel more and at the same time is shaped to offer some downforce at speed.  The stock fender happens to be positioned just right to create front end lift and near maximal drag.

Oh, come on.  The fender is small.  It is way too aerodynamic already.  You can't go through a puddle of spit without getting your feet wet, and there is hardly enough room to get your finger between the tire and the fender anyway.  So I gotta wonder just how much ram air force will be needed to achieve lift off...certainly more speed than a Savage can do.

As for maximal drag...better move those pegs to the rear, install some cafe bars and a fly screen, and then lay on the tank when you ride.  After that, you can start considering any drag created by the fender  Tongue

Hmmm...I wonder if an air dam would help  ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/24/04 at 06:33:43

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Too me the fender & fork combo that would look sweet is the Suzuki GZ 250 one. Maybe someday I''l find one in a Salvage yard and see if it would work. Max

Hi Max, how come no answer to my last email  ???

Anyway, a GZ250 fender is a nice fender.  That was my spouse's first bike.  The fender is styled nicely and does have better wet protection than a Savage fender.  To compensate on our Savages, I installed a couple JCW mudflaps on the front ($5 per pair).  They do help on smalll splashes of water and keep more dirt off the engine, too.

As for fitting a GZ fender on a Savage?  I dunno.  A GZ has a 17 inch front wheel so the circumference is too small to match the Savage 19 inch correctly.  Might work, but might look wierd, too  Undecided

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 10/24/04 at 07:22:15

I went from a 21" to a 17" = 110mm less diameter, down to 69mm trail.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 10/24/04 at 07:36:11

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I went from a 21" to a 17" = 110mm less diameter, down to 69mm trail.

Clive W  Cheesy

On your bike, that looks good.  On a Savage, I think you'd have to decrease the rake to make it work or you'd just drop the front end an inch and feel more bumps  Undecided

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 10/24/04 at 07:54:12

Yes.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/24/04 at 11:43:51

That yellow fender would ADD to drag.

I do have a very small windscreen only marginally larger than a sport bike's windscreen.

I don't intend on creating a land speed record bike and completely changing the entire bike for improving aerodynamics but I would like to make any small improvements I can.  Saying that just due to a small amount of drag at the front I should completely change the entire bike is akin to saying for those who want a K&N, higher flow muffler, and bigger jets that those people should stop playing around with "insignificant" parts and just get the motor over-bored with higher compression pistons, have the head fully ported by a reputable race shop, and have a higher lift/higher duration billet cam shaft machined.

I have ridden without the front fender for a week as an experiment and I did notice a subtle difference in front end "weight" at highway speeds.  Remember a 350lb bike will not require an exceptionally high speed for a modest amount of lift to cause instability.  Lift is a function of frontal surface area (low in bikes), Cd, and velocity.  Therefore a 700lb bike and 350lb bike could potentionally generate the same lift at the front wheel at the same speed (if all other factors are essentially the same) therefore the lighter bike will suffer more.

A little change in Cd would also have a positive impact in gas mileage.

IP Logged
PRH111
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/24/04 at 22:42:54

Allright, I have found something that is essentially what I had envisioned.  The Suzuki Hayabusa's front fender.  The rear and front are at the same height and the sides are even as well to more effectively enclose the fender.  The main thing is that the fenders on most sportbikes have the front and rear at nearly the same height above ground level such that there will be less of a "scooping" action as the fender travels against the wind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:13:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aerodynamic front fender?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.