Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New user new owner new problem (Read 9 times)
Ravenwind
Ex Member

New user new owner new problem
10/22/04 at 15:43:26

I just bought a 2001 Savage 650 , have put about 200 miles on it since I had brought it home.

Two nights ago a rode it into my garage and left it there tonight when I went out to have a nice lesiure ride I ran into a problem I am hoping someone can steer me to an answer.  if its in gear even with the clutch in use it wouldn't start . put it into neutral and it starts . put it into first  and it dies even with the clutch  engaged.

if someone knows whats the problem please help . I am allready missing riding Tongue

Thanks much

-R

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Re: New user new owner new problem
Reply #1 - 10/22/04 at 17:05:39

Kickstand up?  If so, sounds like maybe a problem with the kill switch on the kickstand.

IP Logged
Ravenwind
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/04 at 17:31:01

GOD

I feellike such an idiot . that was it .

Thanks much for the quick repsonce.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/22/04 at 20:12:42

Don't feel bad.  I got my Savage and was sitting on it for the first time, on the kickstand.  In neutral, fire up.  Go into first gear and it dies.   Did this about four or five times and figured I had a major problem.

...  until I read the manual ...  Embarrassed

WWW   IP Logged
Ravenwind
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/23/04 at 17:17:05

Didn't get a manual Sad need to though.

was doing computer work for a local car lot who got it in as a trade in and the owner saw me drooling over it and decited to let me have it for some extra hours put in helping him with there computers and 500.00 cash .

heh Decited it was too good to pass up since I have been wanting a bike again for the last 5 years and just couldn't afford it .

I love the "cruiser" look for a bike and dislike how those  sports bikes look so this was win win for me .

I read over alot of posts on this fourm and  see that a clymer manual seems to be one of the better ones to  get . about what do they run and where would one buy one ?

Thanks again

-R

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/23/04 at 21:20:34

It's $20.37 at Amazon.com while, oddly enough, it was selling for $24.95 on eBay.  Go figure.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Michael

Reply #6 - 10/23/04 at 22:03:36

Ravenwind........Don't feel bad buddy.....i still do it from time to time....takes me a minute to figure out why it quits.....lol Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/24/04 at 06:06:04

Yep.... Grin

I removed all those switches and bypassed the neutral switch at the diode.  I am now free to start it in gear and feel like an idiot when it jumps, if I want  Tongue

However, from time to time, I ride my spouse's '01.  It always takes me a second to remember that I have to have the clutch in, or the sidestand up, or the transmission in nuetral or whatever combination is needed to start the bike.  Oh well, it is safe after all  8)

BTW - Don't feel bad.  There have been some on these forums that have mistaken a dead battery for a forgotten kill switch, too  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/25/04 at 05:23:31

LOL, I just discovered the other key position that turns the headlight off BUT the taillight and license plate lamp stay on and cause me to break out the battery tender.  Not that I hadn't read something concerning it someplace before but it apparently hadn't made enough of an impression... it has now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/25/04 at 05:46:54

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
LOL, I just discovered the other key position that turns the headlight off BUT the taillight and license plate lamp stay on and cause me to break out the battery tender.  Not that I hadn't read something concerning it someplace before but it apparently hadn't made enough of an impression... it has now.

The dealership that did my first checkup also found out about that "park" position when I went to get my bike.  It cost him a new battery for running mine dead  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:13:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New user new owner new problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.