Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
possible new owner (Read 3 times)
tarheel365

possible new owner
10/19/04 at 15:04:03

i took a look at an 87 savage for 900

looked good but it appeared to have a leak b/c it looked wet around the base of the engine fins.

the brake light doesn't work when stepping on the rear brake but she said it could be fixed w/ a new brake cable.  

and the battery seems to need replacing because its been sitting around idle for 3 months.

are these simple fixes or should i avoid this bike?
i rode around on it and it felt great.  it took all i had to not buy the bike right there.

thanks

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: possible new owner
Reply #1 - 10/19/04 at 15:36:19

Brake light problem may be cable that operates the light, not the brake cable itself. they run parallel to each other from the pedal assembly and mine needs to be lubed every spring to operate correctly. I've got a spare now in case. Battery is no biggie consider the newer sealed any position high amperage style vs the orginal wet cell. Oil leak is usually the rubber plug over the head nut behind the exhaust header. Lots of information on diagnosing it on the Savage sites and home pages. See waht you can get the seller to come down for the needed repairs. and enjoy !! Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 10/19/04 at 15:36:31

the leak is common and can be fixed easily.  
i say buy it.  if you rode it and liked it there are several forum's where you can get the assistance you need to work on it yourself..  

go for it Cheesy

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/19/04 at 17:17:38

How many miles are on the bike?

IP Logged
tarheel365

Reply #4 - 10/19/04 at 19:56:10

i forgot to check the mileage ???

i'll ask about the mileage....i'm assuming b'c this is a single....its pretty easy to do work on.  are replacement parts easy to find?

looks like if i get this bike i'll have to replace a couple things.

hopefully i'll be a member in a week if all goes well.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/20/04 at 13:50:25

I haven't had trouble with parts but I haven't had to get much either.  There are not a lot of accessories made specifically for it but the folks on this and Bert's forums are darn good about sharing anything they find/modify/etc. and are pretty decent at making stuff fit too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #6 - 10/21/04 at 08:28:35

i should be pickin it up sunday or tuesday.
she replaced the battery all i gotta do now is fix the brakelight prob and the leak.  

what are some good sites for maintenance issues?
what exactly do i need to replace for the leak?
thanks everybody!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/21/04 at 10:16:00

This site and Bert Heise's LS650 site are my favorites for just about any issues concerning the Savage/S40.  If the leak is the infamous Savage Head Seal Plug, here is a pretty nice "how to" site and there are any number of message threads on both sites concerning it.  Just look for "oil leak" or "plug" and you'll probably find plenty of information.  Luckily, I have not had any leaks yet and I'm not fixin' what ain't broke.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Junkboy
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

New Mexico
Reply #8 - 10/22/04 at 12:47:08

there are also a ton of parts on ebay. some guy is parting out an entire bike.

IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #9 - 10/25/04 at 12:02:10

the bike is officially mine Smiley
i just have to wait for the insurance, then i can register and inspect the bike.

btw...
i was hitting the rear brake and the brake light works! Smiley
so no prob there

also she replace the battery for me, gave me a nice bike cover, and a windshield.  

the only problem ...sorta is that when i hit my high beam...it goes on most of the time but at times it won't.  kinda wierd.

what is a good way to get rid of the rust on the handle bars and a lil bit on the exhaust?

i did stall out several times while riding but i think its becuase i have to get a feel for the clutch...on my lil 250 nighthawk it seems like i have a larger friction zone.  

i like the sound of the savage too...very rythmic beat

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/26/04 at 03:27:30

tarheel365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
the bike is officially mine Smiley
i just have to wait for the insurance, then i can register and inspect the bike.

btw...
i was hitting the rear brake and the brake light works! Smiley
so no prob there

also she replace the battery for me, gave me a nice bike cover, and a windshield.  

the only problem ...sorta is that when i hit my high beam...it goes on most of the time but at times it won't.  kinda wierd.

what is a good way to get rid of the rust on the handle bars and a lil bit on the exhaust?

i did stall out several times while riding but i think its becuase i have to get a feel for the clutch...on my lil 250 nighthawk it seems like i have a larger friction zone.  

i like the sound of the savage too...very rythmic beat

CONGRATS.  Another Savage is born.

Get rid of rust?  No real fix for that.  If it has blistered up through the chrome, it is too late.  Polish and wax will slow it down, but it won't go away.  Might be good to save up for a new bar.

You'll get used to the clutch.  It might need an adjustment after sitting awhile too.  Might need to change the oil.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:31:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › possible new owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.