Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
darn Stupid Rubber Washer!! Experts please?? (Read 12 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
darn Stupid Rubber Washer!! Experts please??
10/11/04 at 08:37:31

???Mornin' all ... well after an enjoyable Thanksgiving (Canada) Day weekend with my wife visiting Montreal, we arrived back on "da Rock" last night and I took advantage of my day-off today to begin readying my beloved Savage for Winter hibernation ... since our Riding Season is all but done ... and started by lubing the inside of the engine with a bit of fogging oil, which req'd removing the fuel tank and spark plug. All went well, but in the process of re-assembly, I lost the little rubber seal (washer) which resides at the bottom of the speedometer cable where it connects to the crankcase (lower right side just forward of the clutch cable connection) ... it slipped off as I was trying to reconnect the speedo cable and fell down under the starter motor ... couldn't see it and looks like a big job to remove starter to retrieve it ... I'll just buy another one ... Question for Savage experts on board ... will this little rubber seal, now under my starter motor cause any trouble down the road? Is there potential for it to jam any moving parts?
Advice on this would be appreciated!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Re: darn Stupid Rubber Washer!! Experts please??
Reply #1 - 10/11/04 at 10:44:08

Depending on just where it wedged itself more than likely it should vibrate out and fall off when you take it out for a long ride.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 10/11/04 at 11:12:05

SmileyWell, upon a suggestion from the Heise Message Board, I removed the starter ... first removed the two 8mm chromed bolts that secure the starter motor on the right hand side, then peeled back the little rubber boot and removed the elect. cable (secured w 10mm nut) ... a lift and tug from the right side of the Bike and the starter was out ... easy (and I'm no wrench lemme tell ya!)! Fished out the offending rubber washer ... and while I was at it, I cleaned the accumulated road grime from the starter cavity. The starter re-installed with only minor finagelling and no cuss words!
BTW, the cavity below the starter appears to be completely enclosed on the bottom, so if anything falls in there, it ain't gettin' out unless you remove the starter ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/11/04 at 12:25:13

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

BTW, the cavity below the starter appears to be completely enclosed on the bottom, so if anything falls in there, it ain't gettin' out unless you remove the starter ...

What year is your Savage?  I've got an '86 and I believe the cavity below mine is open.  Now this could be because the previous owner had taken the whole bike apart and either lost a lot of parts or didn't feel like putting it back together right!  This is why I have to try and get a new motor mount bold for the back mount, he didn't bother putting one back!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 10/11/04 at 14:38:06

SmileyHi Shaun ... my Bike's an '03 ... exactly 2922km on 'er as of today ... and that's it 'til Spring unfortunately ...

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/12/04 at 02:22:43

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
SmileyWell, upon a suggestion from the Heise Message Board, I removed the starter ... first removed the two 8mm chromed bolts that secure the starter motor on the right hand side, then peeled back the little rubber boot and removed the elect. cable (secured w 10mm nut) ... a lift and tug from the right side of the Bike and the starter was out ... easy (and I'm no wrench lemme tell ya!)! Fished out the offending rubber washer ... and while I was at it, I cleaned the accumulated road grime from the starter cavity. The starter re-installed with only minor finagelling and no cuss words!

I'm glad you got it out.  As I posted in another topic, I've had my starter out many times, but now my o-ring seal leaks a bit...and I just got a new one for this winter's tinkering.  $7 USD.

The area below the starter is pretty much enclosed with one exception.  There is a drain hole on the front pulley side.  This is where my leaking oil comes out.  This also keeps the cavity from filling with water at the car wash, etc.

BTW - you can get an o-ring at the hardware store to replace this seal.  The seals tend to fall out easily, and I lost mine a couple years ago.  I got a couple different size o-rings from the store for only $1 and it has worked perfectly for 2 years now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:13:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › darn Stupid Rubber Washer!! Experts please??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.