Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tighten the spokes on the wheels (Read 13 times)
tekxtc
Ex Member

Tighten the spokes on the wheels
10/08/04 at 15:00:34

While on the shop I noticed there is something to tighten spokes on the wheel. Since it costed just $6.95, I bought it thinking that with over 9000 miles on the bike (and wheels), it may not be a bad idea to tighten the spokes.

I was wondering if anyone has already done this ever?

How are they tightened? Should they be twisted so that the nipple pulls the spokes or pushes the spoke? If pulls then the right way to tighten them will be to turn then clockwise if looking radially (not axially) towards the center of the wheel.

Is this accurate?

Autif

IP Logged
Ram
Ex Member

Re: Tighten the spokes on the wheels
Reply #1 - 10/08/04 at 16:27:20

You tighten some and you losen some Wink

Seriously, its called TRUING the wheel.  Depending on which side the wheel is bent you either tighten or losen the spoke closest to that spot.

Let me see if I can find some link that tells you how to true a wheel...........
....   ............    ............................
here you go!!

http://www.dansmc.com/spokewheels.htm

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 10/08/04 at 19:54:10

Nice informatiom I bought a video tape from aerostich that covers much of the same meterial before I started on my Savage rear wheel. Got it within specs in about an hour. It is an art for sure. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/09/04 at 03:22:26

Check the spokes with a metal tool....."plink, plink".  If they are loose they will make a different sound from the rest and sound dull.

Don't tighten any spokes that are not loose and still sound tight.  If you tighten them too much, you can make other ones loose (adjacent spokes) and others too tight (opposite spokes)....and this will cause you trouble.  It can make your wheel not "true" running and you'll have to take it to a shop.

Only use the tool to tighten a few loose ones.  If you have a bunch of loose ones, take it to a shop instead.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 10/09/04 at 04:24:26

Truing a wheel is something I would not dare try myself.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/09/04 at 09:23:28

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Truing a wheel is something I would not dare try myself.

Clive W  Cheesy

Yes.  You need a stand, dial indicators and skill.

IP Logged
Ram
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/09/04 at 11:18:21

Quote:
Yes.  You need a stand, dial indicators and skill.

You can make your own stand and indicators too.  Somewhere I read you could construct a stand with wood that looks like this an inverted U.  I used my Black&Decker project center...Inverted it and put the wheel on it to true it. [Searched for a picture of it and can't find one!!  Sorry]  

You can use a clamp a long bolt and a couple of nuts and little bit of creativity to make your own dial.

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #7 - 10/09/04 at 13:51:57

Replacing and truing the spokes on a wheel isn't that hard, it just takes a long time. To check for true and wobble put the end of the bike you are working on up so the wheel spins. Get a marker and spin the wheel while moving the marker in so it just touches the wheel. You will find that any high spots or wobbles will show up as marks on the wheel from the marker. Just tighten or loosen the spokes to move the rim, wipe the marker marks off of the rim. Then just do it again and again and again and again and again untill the wheel tracks true. Did I mention that it takes a long time?, at least it did when I replaced the wheels and spokes on a '69 Ducati. It is also possible to move the rim side to side by loosening the spokes on one side and tightening them on the other.
   If you are worried about the wheels being true just lift one end of the bike and spin the tire while sighting along it you will see any and wobble or weave. If it is noticable then the wheel needs trueing. Good Luck

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/10/04 at 02:40:13

All very true and correct.  Jacking up the bike to spin the wheel is good.  Most people don't realize all that the spokes actually do for the wheel.  I just recommend care when the idea of tightening spokes is suggested.  Concentricity and true can't be ignored.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tighten the spokes on the wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.