Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where to begin with mods (Read 27 times)
Todd Esterburg

Where to begin with mods
09/29/04 at 08:48:25

The knowledge on this site is great.

I just purchased a 2003 Savage with about 1400 mi on it.  So far, I love the bike.  I want to have it long term but would like to set it up for its optimum performance on the interstate, comfort at 75mph, power, ability to cruise long distance.  Due to cash and no mechanical ability, mods will have to be done one at a time I'm guessing.  Suggestions and the order they would best happen?
I've read on the jets, the exhaust, the pegs, maybe a larger gas tank.  

Also, I'm 6 ft and was currious if there was any way to scoot the seat back at all, or do anything to help the sitting stance of us taller guys?  This site is great.  I have a feeling my Girlfriend is going to wish it wasnt here, but she'll sing a different tune when I convince her to get a bike after the spring thaw.  Thanks for any steering.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Where to begin with mods
Reply #1 - 09/29/04 at 09:32:11

Since you are 6 ft tall and feel cramped....

You might be able to rotate the handlebars forward a bit (if they are pullback bars) for a little more stretch.  Or you can replace them with flat bars.

You can also get forward controls to place your feet further forward.

Aside from that I don't know of an easy way to move the seat rearward.

IP Logged
Todd Esterburg

Reply #2 - 09/29/04 at 09:56:50

Thankyou.  Is there any main company to look for these parts from?

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/29/04 at 11:09:26

I'm also 6' but due to the extreme cost of forward controls I've installed an engine guard with universal highway peg.  They put your feet more forward and a little higher up.  With my riding style I love it.

I also have changed the handle bars to straight drags and that has helped a lot also...not to mention that I like the look of it better too. Grin

IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #4 - 09/29/04 at 12:57:30

If you install an engine guard, you can also get brackets from Kuryakyn that actually will move the highway pegs further forward.  They are called offset mounts and come in a variety of styles and shapes.  You can in fact get the the engine guard clamp with the offset mount and the pegs in one kit.  If you buy the Suzuki engine guard, you will need a 1" clamp for the highway pegs.  Check it out at Kuryakyn.com.  Enjoy your ride.

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #5 - 09/29/04 at 15:45:13

Todd.

This is a great site for info. A lot of us also visit another site on the Savage. The two go hand in hand. here is the link......cheers........Michael

http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/Fragen/LS650-Fragen.html

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #6 - 09/29/04 at 16:31:59

An easy seat mod is to raise the front of the seat. Get two 60mm long bolts and a stack of washers, remove the seat and take off the front seat mount. Stack the washers and bolt the seat mount back on using the longer bolts. I used a couple of 1" spacers instead of washers. Made a big difference. It allows you to slide your butt all the way back on the seat instead of sliding foward against the tank. It makes a BIG difference for leg room and comfort.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/29/04 at 21:04:41

Excellent idea Ed.  I'm gonna try that.  It doesn't make it look funny, though, does it?

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #8 - 09/30/04 at 15:29:41

Look funny? no way, the front of the seat lines up with the back line of the tank and unless you are parked next to a stock Savage you can't tell the difference. I even recovered my seat with a sheepskin seat cover that came from a cage. Just cut it to fit and stapled it to the underside of the seat pan, didn't even take the stock black cover off, just covered it over. It came out better than I hoped it would. I would post a picture but am not sure how to do it. The sheepskin gives the seat a little more padding which makes a big difference for butt comfort also.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/01/04 at 03:12:14

That's different....but to reinforce the raised seat subject, I have also raised my seat an inch or so with rubber spacers that I cut.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #10 - 10/01/04 at 07:40:51

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...I would post a picture but am not sure how to do it. The sheepskin gives the seat a little more padding which makes a big difference for butt comfort also.

Here are instructions on how to post a pic:

Posting Picture/Links

Hope it helps.  Would love to see a pic of your sheepskin.   Smiley

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/01/04 at 11:02:22

This is the first time I've tried to insert an image directly so I hope it works.  My main visible additions are the highway bar, the sheepskin seat pad (available at www.sheepyhollow.com) and the trunk.  She had the windscreen when I bought her and the tank bib and decals are basically cosmetic.  Not visible is the alarm I installed.  It's mounted on the other side opposite the horn.  A lot of folks won't care for the trunk due to personal opinions on aesthetics but I like the ability to lock stuff up and I don't think it looks bad.  Also not visible is the gremlin bell.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #12 - 10/01/04 at 11:59:15

Nice job on the customization!  Looks really nice.

IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #13 - 10/01/04 at 17:22:36

I need to downsize the pics of my '02 with the sheepskin seat covers, as soon as I get that done I'll post a link. Thanks on the how to do it tip. Ed L.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 10/01/04 at 18:39:09

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I need to downsize the pics of my '02 with the sheepskin seat covers, as soon as I get that done I'll post a link. Thanks on the how to do it tip. Ed L.

Sure.  Looking forward to the pic.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:59:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where to begin with mods