Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pants/Chaps -- What Do You Wear? (Read 18 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Pants/Chaps -- What Do You Wear?
10/07/04 at 08:13:48

As it is getting colder, I am realizing the need for more warmth on my legs.  I normally wear jeans when I ride but am thinking I might need to invest in leather pants/ chaps.  I am not a huge fan of them but given their durability and windproof features maybe they are worth it.  What do you wear on your legs when riding?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: Pants/Chaps -- What Do You Wear?
Reply #1 - 10/07/04 at 08:29:17

i have a pair of leather chaps. they come in handy on days when i am just not up to being pelted by gravel on my commute.
i bought the cheap ones though so they are not appropriate for rain. they have seams at the knees that turn UP and last night when i went for a ride my knees were pretty wet. i wonder if packing that seam with mink oil will prevent that, though.

and they can catch on the pegs like bell bottom pants.
not to mention they sag if you lose a few pounds.

also, if you rub up against the tail pipe while refueling, they will crinkle up and it'll smell funny. but you won't get burned.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/04 at 08:51:40

I've got a nice set of leather chaps that I was able to pick up at the bike show in Cleveland for around $50.

They are great although if you invest in leather chaps make sure you waterproof them before you have to use them in the rain.

As far as them catching on the pegs it sounds like your's might be too big for you in the first place sunny.  When you shop for them you don't want them to be at all loose.  You want them to be like a second skin, but not so tight that you cannot move.

IP Logged
Ram
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/07/04 at 10:30:10

I have a pair of chaps.  Paid $100 for it @ a local stealership.  I think they do the job of protecting from cold and would give added protection in case of a fall.  But, I think over pant style leather pants would be best.  A friend of mine has one of those.  Its got nice lining and all and you can wear them with just short underneath too!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/07/04 at 11:34:04

Bear in mind that I'm in Dallas - not Minneapolis.  Winters are not as severe but summers are a force to be reckoned with.  I use leather legs (half-chaps) and I recommend using Nikwax to waterproof leather.  I may get some full chaps at some point but I've found longjohns do a good job of insulating and the leather legs go from boots to knees (a bit above the knees in front), protecting me from gravel and other hazards.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/07/04 at 12:29:02

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Bear in mind that I'm in Dallas - not Minneapolis.  Winters are not as severe but summers are a force to be reckoned with.  

For this very reason I would like to see a Textile Mesh/ Kevlar with pads set of chaps. They make the pants. Someone could design a chaps that would strap over your Jeans. For hot weather. Maybe could be worn over rain pants in winter and wet...

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/07/04 at 13:11:31

I have an inexpensive pair of chaps I bought from Dennis Kirk 12 years ago and they are still in good shape. I wear them a lot in the winter. I also have a pair of leather pants that I wear some. The fit like jeans so are easier to put on than chaps. They are a little warmer than chaps because they cover all of my lower body. If it is really cold I wear my chaps over my leather pants and stay warm down to lower 40's to high 30's.   The big plus for chaps is some days as the weather warms up in the afternoon they come off easy and can then be stored in saddlebag.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #7 - 10/07/04 at 16:03:56

When it gets that cold, I wear a car.  Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Michael

Reply #8 - 10/07/04 at 19:33:14

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
When it gets that cold, I wear a car.  Grin

LMAO....GOOD ONE

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #9 - 10/08/04 at 07:22:09

I have leather chaps but what I have been wearing lately is the new "under armour" that atheletes wear to keep thier legs warm. They are like thick tights. I got them from Gander Sporting Goods store. Very warm, I wear them under my jeans to work and than can throw them in my bag when I get there. Very handy. Chaps are sometimes a pain to carry around when you don't need them. I'm going on a 100 mile bike rally this weekend and I will wear the under armour in the moring and remove them when it warms up.

Jen
  IP Logged
Old Geezer

Reply #10 - 10/08/04 at 10:47:29

To me, leather chaps are the way to go.  Mine are sort of plain but fit the bill just fine.  If I have to ride and it is colder, I wear a pair of my running tights under my jeans then the chaps.  I've found the best place to get them is at a motorcycle rally.  Leather vendors there are very competitive and have a great selection.

IP Logged
synthetic pants

Reply #11 - 10/08/04 at 11:12:01

If you're not stuck on leather there're lots of choices in the sythetic stuff.  Not as water proof, but keeps out the cold while still breathing out the heat when it's warmer.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog05/canada/product.cfm?pid=458

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #12 - 10/08/04 at 19:01:09

I don't handle the cold too well anymore. Embarrassed  

I used to be a friggin' viking. I once rode a bike 7 miles to work at 11pm at 29°F and home again at 7am at 19°F!!  At the time I thought that that chilly ride to work was "invigorating" and honestly, I did think that the ride home was cold cold cold, but I still took it on and enjoyed it.

Now, 25 years later, after a radiation blasted pituitary, after blood pressure pills, after just getting older,  I can't handle it.

Looks like a perfectly good excuse to go out this weekend and buy leather Chaps/Trou, a Jacket and some gauntlet gloves.  

After all, it might give me two weeks more riding time!  Grin

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/08/04 at 19:07:51

synthetic pants wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you're not stuck on leather there're lots of choices in the sythetic stuff.  Not as water proof, but keeps out the cold while still breathing out the heat when it's warmer.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog05/canada/product.cfm?pid=458

Thats not the same as something you can place over your pants and remove when you get where your going. You gotta wear those. I think whats needed here is something thats like that (Textile armor) that will strap over and easily remove when you get there. A chap made like Joe Rocket pants is what I am after here.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #14 - 10/08/04 at 19:15:11

The proper use of chaps...

http://www.harleyrendezvous.com/2004-pics/gate-06.jpg

Please note: as you can see this is a link to a harley-based site and therefore not intended for viewing by the prudish of heart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 15:07:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pants/Chaps -- What Do You Wear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.