Send Topic Print
SuperTrapp (Read 8 times)
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
SuperTrapp
09/20/04 at 04:23:36

Noticed that the Supertrapp on my wife's bike just sounded like it was rattling like crazy.  Found that the header pipe was loose (since I've never taken it off so I was surprised at that) and that of the eight allen screws holding on the end-cap plates, only three were still there (with one about half way out).  

Anyone else notice this on their Supertrapp?  I've never done any maintenance on the muffler (it was installed by Suzuki Service Dept before I got into doing things myself).  I've got a Jardine on mine and think I will put one on my wife's since I've never had trouble with it (and won't have to add another step of checking muffler end-cap bolts to daily/before ride checks).

One other question - will thread lock work on the muffler end cap bolts or just cause a smelly/smokey problem due to the heat?

Pics of bikes

WWW   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: SuperTrapp
Reply #1 - 09/20/04 at 06:42:02

Can't answer your SuperTrapp questions.  Sorry, I'm still on a standard pipe.  Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the pics of the bikes.  They are both awesome.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 09/20/04 at 12:14:50

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I like love the windscreen -- minimal!  What, where, does it come in clear?

WWW   IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #3 - 09/20/04 at 14:49:49

Hmm, no one has had the problem with the Supertrapp?!?

The windshield is National Cycle Flyscreen - and yes, they come in clear.  Got mine on eBay after Jon told me about them - see his (clear) screen on his web site

I would guess the best place to get them is on eBay - if I remember, they are rather expensive new.  You might even contact Jon, he's looking at selling his Savage and might part out that Flyscreen separate.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 09/20/04 at 23:49:24

I pimped-my-ride over the winter;
gel seat , saddle bags and one of those cool flyscreens too. Chrome bezel sorta has a sportster look.
Now the bugs ricochet up for a light snack on those long rides. 8)

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/21/04 at 02:14:04

thehoghunter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Noticed that the Supertrapp on my wife's bike just sounded like it was rattling like crazy.  Found that the header pipe was loose (since I've never taken it off so I was surprised at that) and that of the eight allen screws holding on the end-cap plates, only three were still there (with one about half way out).  

Anyone else notice this on their Supertrapp?  I've never done any maintenance on the muffler (it was installed by Suzuki Service Dept before I got into doing things myself).  I've got a Jardine on mine and think I will put one on my wife's since I've never had trouble with it (and won't have to add another step of checking muffler end-cap bolts to daily/before ride checks).

One other question - will thread lock work on the muffler end cap bolts or just cause a smelly/smokey problem due to the heat?

Pics of bikes

We've had no troubles with the SuperTrapp.  It was first on my Savage and then on my spouse's.  I've had the end cap off several times to add disks, etc. but none have ever come loose.  My guess is that the dealer didn't install them  tightly enough.  How many disks?  Are the bolts long enough?

I wouldn't use lock tight, but make sure to use copper anti-sieze....in case you ever want to intentionally remove them again.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 09/25/04 at 17:51:16

Installed my new pipe:

Also finished the big carb, I ran out of time, before it was installed.
I was surprised. The Thumper thumps and lawnmower sound is dead, replaced w/a roar!
Won't be ignored on bike night now. 8)
It sounds ferocious! Grin
Will be ordering a six-pack of disks and longer bolts.
FYI;10-15 inch/pounds is the torque spec for the disk bolts.
I would not want to take this setup out of town on a long trip. Great for bike night though.
Definitely can feel the flat spot in carb's fuel curve, just off idle, as temp. drops & air density increases gets worse w/ this new pipe. Coating on headpipe runs cooler than chrome. Can tell a difference between the headpipe and muffler now.
Hope to install the big new carb & K&N maybe tomorrow.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 09/27/04 at 02:45:02

I had a 3inch disc series on my KLX which was ok untill M.O.T. time when i had to go down to two or three discs to get it quiet enough which only let it rev to 3500. I now have an absorption type silencer with a two inch perforated core which is better all round, at test time I just put an insert in and it's quiet a little less power but still revs right out to 7500 red line.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/04 at 17:46:06

Once you have it tuned to the number of disks you want, use the red high temp threadlock found at any auto parts store.  Not much is needed.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 10/29/04 at 03:44:43

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Once you have it tuned to the number of disks you want, use the red high temp threadlock found at any auto parts store.  Not much is needed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....I hate to disagree, but in normal situations the red thread lock (Loctite) is good to use, but not on the Trapp exhaust disks.  Not with the combination of heat.  No, no, no.

If you ever want to get those stainless steel bolts loose again, you need to use copper anti-sieze on those threads, very liberally!  

If you don't use anything, they won't come out easily anyway, but if you use Loctite, they'll never come out without breaking all of them off and maybe damaging the muffler too.

I think the original problem here was a matter of torque.  The fact that the Hoghunter had this problem is unique, but that isn't the solution...shoot if it were a real serious issue then "safety wire" would be the best fix to keep the bolts in place.

Sorry.

IP Logged
giom-650
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/29/04 at 09:16:20

You need to get new screws and use high temperature anti-seize compound on the threads. I've never had a problem with screws backing out. Whoever installed yours didn't properly seat the screws.
The SuperTrapp will give noticable performance improvement if installed correctly.
You should also upjet your carb when changing to performance mufflers. This will reduce the yellowing.
I suggest you use a Dynajet kit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:54:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SuperTrapp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.