Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
head seal plug vs. cylinder head cap (Read 25 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
head seal plug vs. cylinder head cap
09/30/04 at 11:43:35

having gone over what is wrong with my bike i have encountered a major problem: [glow=red,2,300]terminology. [/glow]

the head seal plug i first thought was on the side of the cylinder is actually located on the side of the cylinder. just like i first thought.
the part that you guys label as the head seal plug is, in reality, the cylinder head cap.

the question i now have is this: under the cylinder head cap there are two other parts: a gasket and a nut. do these parts have to be replaced when i replace the cylinder head cap?
and just exactly HOW does the cylinder head cap come out? does it screw in/out? does it get pushed into place and pried out of place?

i do NOT have even a carport under which to do this job so if this EVEN requires the dissassembly of the head then this is no 5 hour job for me to do on any day, whether rainy or sunny.

and yeah, i am rather pissed about the misused terminology. it has caused a whole lot of confusion on this end.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Re: head seal plug vs. cylinder head cap
Reply #1 - 09/30/04 at 18:28:44

Sunny,

I used a needlenose pliers to pull mine out when I did the 600 mile service. It gets pushed back into the hole. Make sure to use some gasket sealer on the outside. Spread it around the entire circumference. I was able to reuse my existing plug but since your may already be leaking I would recommend getting a new one.

P.S. forgot to add I reused the gasket and since you are in there you may as well retorque the head per procedure.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/01/04 at 02:44:44

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
having gone over what is wrong with my bike i have encountered a major problem: [glow=red,2,300]terminology. [/glow]

and yeah, i am rather pissed about the misused terminology. it has caused a whole lot of confusion on this end.

Geez...I don't think that all of us "shade trees" are trying to confuse anyone with misused terminology.  I've heard it called a plug, cap and seal but I use photos to reinforce whatever term I used to at least clarify what it is and where it is located.

Now, there are a lot of types of "gaskets" in the engine and based on their purpose they have different names too.  Underneath this particular cylinder head cap seal plug in question there is actually just a nut and a copper washer which is visible in one of the photos that I posted.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 10/01/04 at 02:53:25

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

the head seal plug i first thought was on the side of the cylinder is actually located on the side of the cylinder. just like i first thought.

Now if you are talking about the larger rubber plug (1 1/4") that is "visible" on the top right side of the engine, that is actually a rubber cap plug seal at the end of the camshaft.  That item is not the same as the one that we were discussing.  The one we are talking about is hidden and is the common source of the "Savage plug leak".

In either case, both of the rubber seals require the removal of the "head cover" or the "camshaft cover" (2 terms I have heard) in order to reach them.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #4 - 10/01/04 at 15:32:47

the problems in terminology REALLY come into play when you go to the suzuki place and try to order the parts. had to make two trips in dallas lunchtime traffic...
it just really helps us technical (i am in IT) types to use the same identification that are on the microfiches which is what the suzuki folks use.

incidentally, the piece under the nut is called a gasket on the fiches. i also ordered that and the nut just in case.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #5 - 10/01/04 at 20:32:37

Sunny,

According to Ronayers parts fiche the part number for my 2002 is      11145-41B01 and is called Cap, Cylinder He which I would think is short for cylinder head cap. It is item 12 in the cylinder head page.

You will not be removing the nut (item 24) or gasket i.e.washer (item 26).

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/02/04 at 03:03:19

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
the problems in terminology REALLY come into play when you go to the suzuki place and try to order the parts. had to make two trips in dallas lunchtime traffic...
it just really helps us technical (i am in IT) types to use the same identification that are on the microfiches which is what the suzuki folks use.

incidentally, the piece under the nut is called a gasket on the fiches. i also ordered that and the nut just in case.

Needless to say, that is why I usually go around the counter to look at the fiche or the display to help the dealer identify the part.  As I am also technical and usually the parts person is not, this makes the whole thing easier.

Another funny part is that a "cap" usually goes down over something like your head, whereas a "plug" is usually stuck inside of something like a hole.  In this case, we have a cap that plugs a hole which makes no sense.  Therefore, "plug" makes more sense from a functional description no matter what is printed on the fiche.  After all, the bolt that is removed to change the oil is universally called a "drain plug" and not a cap.  Go figure why the rubber plug is called a cap.

BTW- unless you are changing all 4 of the copper washers (or gaskets) buying just one doesn't get much done.  There is one copper "gasket" (or washer) that actually seals an oil passage and that is the right rear "gasket washer" and not the one under your leaking "cap plug"....and before changing any of the cylinder head nuts you best have a torque wrench with a 14 MM socket and extension or you will have a leaking head gasket.

Gee, I wonder why they didn't call the cylinder head a cylinder cap or for that matter why they named the camshaft cover a head cover rather than a head cap or camshaft cap?   Either way, I think that I'll continue to call it a plug and point at the picture. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 10/03/04 at 16:02:41

I'm not going to discuss nomenclature with somebody behind the dealer's counter anymore: useless.  Lips Sealed

Download the pictures from ronayers.com, print them and take ( or fax or e-mail) the to the dealer highliting the part you want. Grin

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 10/04/04 at 02:24:39

Dealers don't keep a stock of parts anymore so they seldom have special items on hand.  Too bad there are not motorcycle parts stores like Auto Zone or NAPA.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 21:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head seal plug vs. cylinder head cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.