Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MC Insurance (Read 6 times)
bassman29
Ex Member

MC Insurance
09/12/04 at 12:25:14

I know this topic is not Savage(S40) specific, but it is something we all have to deal with.  

I was notified by my insurance company yesterday that they are cancelling the insurance on my Savage effective 9/22/04.  Their stated reason was because my younger son had a minor accident in Jan. 2003!  First, my son is not even insured on the MC policy; second, this "accident" resulted in no damage or claim filed although he did receive a ticket for following too closely.  And third, and most important to me, I have been with this company for auto and home insurance for many years and have paid them many thousands of dollars of premium, with very few claims filed.

Needless to say, I'm ready to dump them and find a new insurer for my home, autos & motorcycle.  Any recommendations?  My current company shall remain nameless, but their initials are ALLIED INSURANCE CO.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Re: MC Insurance
Reply #1 - 09/12/04 at 12:50:49

Progressive actively courts the MC insurance market and has very good prices.   I have Progressive on my bike and so does most every other biker I know.

http://motorcycle.progressive.com/motorcycle_home.asp

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 09/12/04 at 12:59:52

Progressive had the best rates for me and my husband.  They were very forgiving for me as a newer rider.

I have heard others say that they found cheaper rates at Markel but I have had no experience with them.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
XLR8

Reply #3 - 09/12/04 at 13:13:10

When you get Progressive, call their nationwide number instead of going through a local agent.  You'll get a lower annual rate.

IP Logged
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/12/04 at 17:14:59

I have Progressive too.  I have been VERY happy with their rates.  And I agree with XLR8, call the 800# and talk to them for a quote.

Very important:  Do it BEFORE the other policy expires.

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/12/04 at 21:01:07

Thanks for all the replies.  Actually, I have already called Progressive (the 800 #) - saw their ad in Motorcycle Cruiser mag last Friday, and they did give me a very good quote.  I'll probably call them back tomorrow and follow up.  

I was just wondering if anyone had MC insurance and auto insurance from the same carrier.  Sometimes companies give discounts for having multiple policies.

IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/13/04 at 03:41:42

i ride a 04 thumper. Progressive Ins 214.00$ a year  and insurance is like taxes theres no use fighting mother natuue

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 09/13/04 at 07:01:12

bassman29 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Thanks for all the replies.  Actually, I have already called Progressive (the 800 #) - saw their ad in Motorcycle Cruiser mag last Friday, and they did give me a very good quote.  I'll probably call them back tomorrow and follow up.  

I was just wondering if anyone had MC insurance and auto insurance from the same carrier.  Sometimes companies give discounts for having multiple policies.

I had the same thought as I have my auto and house insurance through the same carrier (reasonable prices/multi-policy discount).  Their quote for our motorcycles was outrageous.  When I asked the agent why, he said they'll do it if you're willing to pay the high price but basically, the big car/house insurers want nothing to do with motorcycles.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
za16866
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/13/04 at 12:19:54

i have both my savages covered by progressive...  $199.00  for both bikes...  i put my other vehicles with progressive too...  they have been extremely good to me.. no complaints...  i can do all my business with them thru the computer.. make my payments automatically.. add or remove cars...  whatever...  very nice setup....

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #9 - 09/13/04 at 15:57:04

i use formost. their rates were better than progressive for me.
and i ain't perfect.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/14/04 at 20:58:47

I ended up with Progressive.  I got quotes from several carriers - including Foremost - but Progressive had the best rates for me.  I decided to add my son to the policy because I know he's going to want to ride it after he gets home.  He's been travelling around Europe since early August and hasn't even seen my Savage yet.  He  took the MSF this summer and is ready to move up from his old moped.   Hmmm...maybe I should sell him my Savage and get a new S40.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:14:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MC Insurance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.