Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Oil Change (Read 15 times)
Bluejeanz
Ex Member

First Oil Change
09/03/04 at 04:41:25

Hi all...I'm a newbie rider.  I got my 03 Savage last Saturday.  It had 412 miles on when I got it and I just hit the 600 mark on my way home from work yesterday.

So now I'm ready for the first oil change.  My mechanic hubby wants to do it himself (and I'm going to watch and learn) but he wanted me to ask if there is a preferred oil.  Should we stick with Suzuki oil or is there something else out there that is as good or better.

I'm not looking to "cheap out" on this, I'm just looking for the best for my bike...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW - Thanks Susan, for leading me to this forum!

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: First Oil Change
Reply #1 - 09/03/04 at 06:09:59

Bluejeanz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hi all...I'm a newbie rider.  I got my 03 Savage last Saturday.  It had 412 miles on when I got it and I just hit the 600 mark on my way home from work yesterday.

So now I'm ready for the first oil change.  My mechanic hubby wants to do it himself (and I'm going to watch and learn) but he wanted me to ask if there is a preferred oil.  Should we stick with Suzuki oil or is there something else out there that is as good or better.

I'm not looking to "cheap out" on this, I'm just looking for the best for my bike...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW - Thanks Susan, for leading me to this forum!

You're welcome and welcome to the forum.  I'll be interested in the responses as well.  There was a topic recently called "Oil Viscosity" which discussed some of this but frankly it was a little over my head as a new wrencher.  

So guys/gals, could someone summarize in newbie wrenching terms what we ought to know about oils and what oils we should we be considering?  Thanks!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/03/04 at 06:22:32

I use a motorcycle specific oil 10w-40. You can also use a universal motor oil such as Shell Rotella 15w-40.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 09/03/04 at 08:20:58

I'm in the Dallas area and will take all the protection I can get from my oil.  That said, I decided to experiment with a synthetic.  The one I chose is the Maxum 4 Extra 100% Synthetic 15W50.

About the best gallon price I've seen is here: http://www.motodepot.com/accessories/oil/Maxima/maxima_4t.html.

I have heard of some folks having trouble with clutch slippage when using synthetics but I have put a little over 200 miles on mine (with varying speeds up to 75mph) since I changed the oil last weekend and have noticed no problems whatsoever.  There were some thoughts that additives such as friction modifiers in oils made for bikes might make the difference.  Take a peek at the "Oil Viscosity" topic for the complete banter.  My experience with this oil has been good though and I intend to use it the next time I change mine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/03/04 at 10:12:52

Personally, I think that you should avoid synthetic for now.  Wait until you have the bike broken in after 2-3000 miles.

Until then, get a good grade of dino juice.  What I have used for a few years, is the Suzuki oil from the dealer.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 09/05/04 at 17:37:01

Yeah, I hadn't thought about how a synthetic might affect the break-in.  Since I don't know whether or how it might, it may be good advice to stick with the good old petroleum based stuff for a while.  I got my Savage with 1658 miles on it and now have about 2300.  If I'd thought about the break-in, I might have gone with the dino oil too but since I've already made the switch at the 2000 mile mark, I'll stick with it for a while.  I'm still monitoring it closely though.  This is the first time I've used synthetic on a bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:13:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Oil Change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.