Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
changing speedometer??? (Read 32 times)
bassman29
Ex Member

Re: changing speedometer???
Reply #15 - 09/04/04 at 21:12:33

Quote:
Hey David, how are you enjoying the ride after two weeks??

Hi Susan - I am enjoying it very much - other than my complaint about the speedo location (which probably isn't as serious as I made it sound above).  I am on about the same pace as you, over 200 miles in 2 weeks, but I am commuting a short distance daily.  Also going for lunch-hour rides that really break up the work day and energize me for the afternoon.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 09/05/04 at 03:03:39

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
> >"Speedo behind the headlight where it belongs"?
>  
> That's subjective, I think.  Why then would there be
> other cruisers with the speedo on the tank?

Because it's the current styling trend and Lemmings follow.  Ergonomics dictate that the gauges be in front of the bars in your line of sight.  I'll change my opinion when sport and standard designs get the speedo and tach in the tank, or we evolve with eyes in our rib cages.  

> > "I hate having to look down to check how
> > much I'm speeding  " ?
>
> Really?  I know that I am usually doing 45-50 where ever I am.

Even when a cop is behind and clocking you?  I'd bet you peak at the speedo.  

> I wonder how many people wanting to change
> the speedo also have flat drag bars.

The bar style has nothing to do with it, the situation is the same with the buckaroo bars.

Whoa.  I guess that I stirred a rat's butt full of stuff.  I truely hope that everyone finds a way to make their Savage more comfortable to ride....especially Jon, whom is obviously doomed to a life of discomfort  Roll Eyes

All that I meant to say, was that even if I forget that the turn signal indicator is ON (which has happened, and I miss the self-cancelling ones on my 850), it still isn't a issue for me to look at the speedo and ride safely.  And having ridden it for 4 1/2 years hasn't earned me any tickets either.  So generally speaking, I do not and will not understand this problem.

Sorry, Y'all.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 09/05/04 at 03:51:26

bassman29 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I’m a beginning rider.

My bike has flat drag bars.  I’m too ignorant to know why that is ironic, however.

The first part sounds just a little stressed out.  But that is part of the key.  With your own admission of being a beginner, I suggest that you're just not relaxed yet.  That will come.

Nope.  Not suggesting ignorance.  My point, intended to provoke thought not anger, is that "flat drag bars" completely change your riding position from that of the pull back bars.  That in istelf, might make it more difficult to see the speedo.

With that said, I don't care if everyone mounts the speedo on the chin guard of their helmet for a better view.

Once again, I apologize for interrupting this topic with a "counter-point"  Undecided

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/05/04 at 07:00:13

Quote:
The first part sounds just a little stressed out......

Nope.  Not suggesting ignorance.  My point, intended to provoke thought not anger....

If learning a completely new skill and trying to coordinate both hands and feet in new ways while cars are flying around trying to run you down isn't stressful, I don't know what is!  Smiley   I have been having too much fun doing it to realize just how stressful it is.

Greg - you didn't suggest ignorance - I did.  And there was no anger here I assure you.  I simply did not understand your reference to the connection between flat bars, riding position, and speedo location.  Now I do.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 09/05/04 at 17:27:33

I don't have a problem with the speedo where it is but I would like to put my tank bag a bit further forward (where it would obscure the built-in speedo).  However, the main thing I'd like is a resettable tripmeter, since I have no fuel gauge.  That said, I purchased one of the battery-powered bicycle computers and will be attempting a mounting solution similar to Kropatchek's using a magnet other than the one provided (which is too weak for this application).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #20 - 09/05/04 at 20:59:17

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Pleh!  I should proofread.  That was supposed to be a tank bag - not tank bad.

After you post and see your error, just click upper right "modifiy" icon and edit your mistakes,I can't type for beans and I use it all the time.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/05/04 at 21:05:01

> I truely hope that everyone finds a way to make their
> Savage more comfortable to ride....especially Jon,
> whom is obviously doomed to a life of discomfort

Okay, Greg, that does it.  You're toast, I just stuck two pins in your Voo-Doo doll.

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/05/04 at 21:22:10

Fellas and gals, here is the solution to this controversy:

A personal display (PD) mounted on the front of your helmet!

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #23 - 09/06/04 at 05:01:51

And Greg, here is another reason - bi-focal glasses.  I don't have a full face helmet, but because age has caught up to me and my eyes aren't even close to what they used to be, I have to wear glasses - bi-focal glasses.  Can't read the speedometer at all unless I move my head down.  Yes, I usually know how fast I'm going, but it's always nice to know.  Having it on the handlbars would be much safer.  Plus the fact if one was found to work with the Savage/S40, then a tripmeter would also be very handy.

Bassman - sounds like it will require some manipulation and $$$ - but a great find anyway.  

Hope you don't have to contend with this sight problem - ride safe - and get out and ride for me as Hurricane Frances will be keeping my riding out of the picture for a few days to come.

WWW   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/06/04 at 07:25:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My point, intended to provoke thought not anger, is that "flat drag bars" completely change your riding position from that of the pull back bars.  That in istelf, might make it more difficult to see the speedo.
 Undecided

Greg, you've seen my picks of the drag bars I have on my bike and I would have to say that it actually makes seeing the speedo easier since I'm not sitting back as far.  Of course I dont't usually wear a helmet whan I ride and when I do it's a shorty.

I've been planning on changing my speedo too but not because of the issue of seeing it but because I'm planning on putting a Virago tank on it this winter.

IP Logged
mownor
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Look cool!  You
know who you are.

Reply #25 - 09/06/04 at 13:51:08

Hi, Munson.  If you do the Virago tank thing this winter please post some info on fitment and fixes.  I can hardly wait to get the speedo where it belongs on the bars beside a tach instead of in the middle of a miniature gas tank.  Yep, full face and sportster bars.  Cheers, Mo.

Life is a journey - don't wait for the stops; enjoy the travelling.
  IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/06/04 at 16:37:12

Has anyone replaced their speedo with a different one? If so which one and do you like it and where did you buy it? I will be replacing my stock tank with a different tank.

IP Logged
domino
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/10/04 at 19:31:28

I like the speedometer where it is. It looks good, and I have no problem seing it, with a full face helmet...you pick your moment to look, when you feel 0.5 of a second is not critical in your safety.

I know the feel of my Savage, and usually know when to slow down..

If all else fails.....open your mouth..........if the bugs stop at your tonsils, you are within the speed limit........if they land in your shorts, your going much too fast Smiley

cheers......Michael

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 09/11/04 at 09:13:45

domino wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I like the speedometer where it is. It looks good, and I have no problem seing it, with a full face helmet...you pick your moment to look, when you feel 0.5 of a second is not critical in your safety.

I know the feel of my Savage, and usually know when to slow down..

If all else fails.....open your mouth..........if the bugs stop at your tonsils, you are within the speed limit........if they land in your shorts, your going much too fast Smiley

cheers......Michael

I don't have any problem either, but if people want a different one, that's their choice.

You'd think that being safe means that you can't turn your head and look at the scenery, either.  If that's the case, we might as well be in a car.  No tunnel vision here  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 09/11/04 at 09:16:14

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
> I truely hope that everyone finds a way to make their
> Savage more comfortable to ride....especially Jon,
> whom is obviously doomed to a life of discomfort

Okay, Greg, that does it.  You're toast, I just stuck two pins in your Voo-Doo doll.

Ah ha!  So that's why I got a temporary layoff on Tuesday.  Now, I get it....

The pins must have come loose though, cause I got a better job on Friday  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:54:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › changing speedometer???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.