Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best/Favorite Rides (Read 7 times)
lagagnon
Ex Member

Re: Best/Favorite Rides
Reply #15 - 09/20/04 at 17:01:23

Just been on my longest and favourite ride so far. Route 14 on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada - from Victoria  to Port Renfrew (the trail head to the famous West Coast Hiking Trail). Beautiful, wild, twisty, challenging ride, about 220km return. Great views across the Juan de Fuca Strait to the Olympic Mountains in the state of Washington. Very little traffic, sunny, 10deg Celcius to start (bbrrrrr!) but warmed up to 16 degrees by lunchtime. Some cool little cafes along the route!

Big deal you say. Well it is for me - a newbie rider on my new 2004 Savage. What a terrific motorbike and what a lovely ride. I learned a lot today and hope to do that route many more times in the future. Vancouver Island is a terrific place to own a motorbike.

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
Daemon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/20/04 at 17:19:48

One of my favorite rides I haven't made this year is Highway 101 in Oregon state, riding along the coast. Its time to make that run again soon.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #17 - 09/20/04 at 19:12:53

Daemon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
One of my favorite rides I haven't made this year is Highway 101 in Oregon state, riding along the coast. Its time to make that run again soon.

My grandmother used to live in Medford Oregon (near Ashland in the southern part of the state).  It is such beautiful country out there.  The mountains, the coast...Oregon has it all.  Have you ever been to Crater Lake?  It's beautiful and I bet the riding around there would be good.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Daemon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/20/04 at 20:19:59

Susan, I don't believe I have. I love spending as much time as possible along the Oregon coast though, I spent some time in Kauai and some parts of the Oregon coast look just like it.

IP Logged
Daemon
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/22/04 at 22:16:22

Ok, I just got back from a near 500 mile ride today from Yakima, WA to Asotin and back. Variable speeds, nice twists. I do see one thing I need to do to my 02.... install lighting so I can see my speedometer at night. The LED for the High beams doesn't glow enough to see any gauges. Fortunately there were enough semi's on the road that I could pass occassionally and see my speedo in their headlights going by them. A nice glow circle or lighted speedo faceplate is in my near future.

IP Logged
2wheelingwoman
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/26/04 at 19:43:55

If you go to www.byways.org, you can get a FREE map of National Scenic Byways.  

I got one earlier this year, then we modified our route from Los Angeles to Spokane Washington to include several of the byways.  WELL worth the changes!!!  We travelled alongside the Payette River in Idaho (which was not on our original route) and it was beautiful.  

One of our goals during this trip was to also do a side-trip to take in the Beartooth Scenic Byway in Montana/Wyoming, which was called "The most scenic drive in America" by Charles Kuralt.  It was absolutely awesome.  The top elevation is something like 10,947 ft., so you gotta do it in the summer months.  In the winter it's snowmobile trails.

Anyway, thanks to this Freebie, I saw some spectacular scenery from the back of a Honda GoldWing this summer.  (I also told my hubby that my goal now is to make sure we see every single one of the 95 Scenic Byways!)

It's definitely worth a trip to their site to get yourself a map if you like to travel.  8)

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #21 - 09/27/04 at 04:05:19

From Sockbridge to Pooley Bridge then along the right hand side of lake Ullswater, through Patterdale and Glenridding and up to the top of Kirkstone pass (nice little pub) down the other side through a lot of twisties to Bowness on (lake) Windermere in the middle of the Lake district and home again.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #22 - 09/27/04 at 07:17:58

2wheelingwoman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
If you go to www.byways.org, you can get a FREE map of National Scenic Byways...

Thanks for the tip, I ordered one this morning.   Cheesy

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Ed L.

Reply #23 - 09/27/04 at 16:21:24

A real nice ride in PA is from the Delaware Water Gap south on 611 through Easton to 32 which is River road down to New Hope. Cross over the bridge and head back up river on the New Jersey side. Can't do the ride right now, they are still cleaning up from all the flooding after Ivan.

IP Logged
bassman29
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/27/04 at 17:25:32

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I ordered one this morning

Yes, thanks - I ordered one too.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 09/28/04 at 06:26:53

Just ordered one myself.  While browsing that site, I found a link to a good one for anyone traveling Texas at www.traveltex.com.  Another great one is the National Park Service at www.nps.gov.  Good stuff.  Now if I can only get the wife over her fear of bikes (and the outdoors in general).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 09/29/04 at 03:13:25

For those in the western NC, north Geogia, and Tennessee, I found the Tail of the Dragon, the Cherohala skyway, and the surrounding areas to be a great place to ride.  There is a VERY biker friendly motel in Robbinsville, NC too, complete with a "bikes only" parking area.

If you go and plan to spend the night AND you like to have a beer or two, you better stay in an adjacent county though because Robbinsville is "dry".  Tongue

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:59:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best/Favorite Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.