Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
How long do shocks usally last? (Read 50 times)
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
How long do shocks usally last?
08/10/04 at 06:02:20

I have over 15,000 on the bike and was wondering how long the shocks last (average miles). I know the suspension isn't the best on this bike but I feel I'm riding a hardtail. Just wondering. How many people have changed their shocks already? If so, is there a better type to replace the old ones.

Jen
  IP Logged
Autif

Re: How long do shocks usally last?
Reply #1 - 08/10/04 at 09:01:31

You can try to change the setting of the stiffness of the shocks. It is an involved process for the front ones, but for the rear ones, it is quite simple.

There is an allen bolt on each shock absorber. There are 5 settings, turning it counter clockwise makes it stiff, turning it clockwise makes it soft.

All the best and ride safe!

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #2 - 08/10/04 at 09:11:05

> I have over 15,000 on the bike

As shocks wear is they lose their damping.  Springs will take a 'set' after a while, too, causing some functional loss of the primary (softer) coils.  At 15K I think this would apply to your bike.

Hagon makes replacement shocks for the LS650:

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/10/04 at 10:18:05

Autif wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You can try to change the setting of the stiffness of the shocks. It is an involved process for the front ones, but for the rear ones, it is quite simple.

There is an allen bolt on each shock absorber. There are 5 settings, turning it counter clockwise makes it stiff, turning it clockwise makes it soft.

All the best and ride safe!

Yea, I’d play with the preload of the shocks before replacement.

When I got my bike I adjusted the preload.  Setting it for the stiffest setting was like replacing it with a solid shaft, but the softest was way too soft for me.

Try the adjustments, but try to ride 5-10 miles before you decide if you like the setting.

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #4 - 08/10/04 at 10:46:27

> play with the preload of the shocks before replacement

Tweaking the preload just compresses the softer coils, raises the seat height, stiffens the ride, and does nothing to enhance the damping.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

FYI...
If you find that you are getting hammered by your bike no matter what preload setting, the spring rate might be mismatched to your body weight.  Aftermarket shocks can be assembled with different spring options.  I think the previously mentioned Hagons give you a choice of three different progressive-wound springs for the LS650.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #5 - 08/10/04 at 11:13:15

Thanks everyone. If I remember right I checked the setting once before, but it dosen't hurt to look again.

Jen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/10/04 at 14:11:59

If you only weigh in the 130 pound range (just guessing a woman's possible weight), then you needn't have your shocks on any more than the #3 position, maybe even just #2.  For comparison, at 220 I run my shocks on #4 for daily use, and #5 if I'm going on a long ride fully loaded.

Also, take a look inside the spring at the top of the shock body to check if you see any leakage from the seal.  

If still not happy, maybe then you need new shocks....the sky's the limit on what you can get (and so is the price).  Not only a variable preload, but variable dampening too.

Maybe some of these guys with the high mileage Savages can give some input.

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #7 - 08/11/04 at 06:06:35

I checked my setting, it was set tp the stiffest position. I've been riding it for 2 years like this! I went for a ride at the softest position last night, i'ts nice to have suspension!!! With the forward controls it's harder to stand up going over tracks or larger bumps, so this will make the ride much better.

Jen
  IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/11/04 at 08:10:44

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I checked my setting, it was set tp the stiffest position. I've been riding it for 2 years like this! I went for a ride at the softest position last night, i'ts nice to have suspension!!! With the forward controls it's harder to stand up going over tracks or larger bumps, so this will make the ride much better.

After I got the setting correct it made the bike much better for the ride to work.  
What type of forward controls do you have??  I'd like to get a set, but don't know what type to get.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 08/11/04 at 08:52:01

jendesigner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Great....and you must weigh a LOT less than me  Shocked

BTW - I've been riding mine for over 4 years, and I think that my shocks are still okay.  And I abuse mine more than you do  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
jendesigner
2004 No Login

Stop, Drop and Chop

Chicago suburbs
Reply #10 - 08/11/04 at 11:59:04

The forward controls I have are Highway Hawk from Seegercycle.com. They are not cheap, but worth every penny to me. Here is a link to my photos to see what they look like.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jendesigner/album?.tok=pherjNBB6Zmni94S&.dir...

Jen
  IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/11/04 at 12:09:52

Guys, were is the location of these adjustments on the rear? I see a hole in the lower chrome covering. Is it in there? I do not make out that its Allen Key though. I don't really see anything keyed there so might be wrong place? Or am I missing something?

I have never checked to see where mine are set either. Since I bought it used I suspect its set up pretty high though. Could probably do better to go down a notch if it is.

IP Logged
wrench

Reply #12 - 08/11/04 at 13:18:03

> Guys, were is the location of these adjustments
> ....I see a hole in the lower chrome covering

Insert an adequately sized rod, allen wrench, or the screwdriver shaft in the tool kit and rotate the base clockwise or counter-clockwise.  There are five preload settings.

IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/11/04 at 16:37:57

Ah ok... must take a fair amount of pressure to get em to move. Did mess with them but ran low on time and had to leave em till tomorrow to do it with something a bit longer to get more leverage.

My real problem here is I do know know where they are at this point. Knowing the oral history of the Bike I would suspect they are all the way as stiff as they will go. The previous owner was reportedly a large guy and he road around with the little lady on the back too... and she was also reportedly not so little.... which is the reason he traded it in. Needed larger engine to haul them both around.

So I am going to go clockwise? And then should I hear of feel a click or something to know its a notch down?

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #14 - 08/11/04 at 21:38:08

cphilip wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
So I am going to go clockwise? And then should I hear of feel a click or something to know its a notch down?

You can use an allen wrench.  Put it in the hole that is toward the bottom of the shock (the hole is near the top of the large chrome ring at the bottom of the shock).  There are five settings.  To stiffen, turn it clockwise.  To soften, go counterclockwise.  When I changed this on my 2004 I heard a definite, loud click at each setting.  

To make sure you are on the same setting on each side, go all the way to the counterclockwise position (softest setting) and then count the same number of clicks on each side.  This is important -- if they are set differently it could affect the handling of the bike. BTW, you can't tell if they are in the same spot by looking at the shocks (since the same shock is used on both sides, position 1 on the left is in the exact opposite spot as position 1 on the right).

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 05:13:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How long do shocks usally last?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.